1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Larry Brown fired; Isiah named new coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

From a legal point, I believe Larry is in the right. The Knicks knew what they were getting (a hot ho, who they believed would be faithful for them for at least a year or two), but LB wanted it his way, right away. I'm not a lawyer, but I have a hard time believing the Knicks are going to get out of this contract.

But, I think this sets a precedent for future coaches. Before, when coaches were paid nothing compared to players, who cared, but now with these huge salaries, teams are going to start to realize that coaches can be just as petulant and cancerous, in spite of their talents, as players can be. And teams are going to want to protect themselves.

Who's in charge in today's NBA? Coaches or Presidents? Riley was a President that dumped his coach and took over, Joe D goes through coaches like Ben through FT coaches.

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Knicks' Thomas has one year to show progress

NEW YORK (AP) - Isiah Thomas has one year to turn around the Knicks - something Larry Brown couldn't do. And if Thomas doesn't, he'll be gone, too.

"I'm saying this right with Isiah here. This is his team," Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan said Monday. "He made this bed. There's nobody better than him to make this thing go forward.

"But he has to do that and he has one year, one season to do that," he said. "At this time next year Isiah will be with us if we can all sit here and say that this team has made significant progress towards its goal of eventually becoming an NBA championship team. If we can't say that, then Isiah will not be here."

The remarks by Dolan were his first since firing Brown last Thursday and replacing him with Thomas, the team president and general manager.

He acknowledged that the team "made a mistake" hiring Brown. Thomas assembled the roster that went 23-59 to tie the franchise record for losses in a season. And though Dolan said the Knicks are still rebuilding, he wants to see results next season.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice. Now Isiah has to work with the media questioning if every loss will be the nail in the coffin. Dolan pretty much gave the players licence to do whatever they want now that Zeke will be the scapegoat.

Some people are too foolish to own NBA teams.

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, talk about a short leash. I guess Dolan is tired of spending millions and seeing no results. Another New York franchise owner that doesn't understand chemistry.

5. max

max All-Star

Is it up to Stern or the courts? Its a breach of contract either way you look at it. Or if Stern rules do the Knicks/LB have the right to take the case outside of the NBA?

Lot of money at stake here.

6. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Giving Isiah an ultimatum is one thing. But announcing it at a news conference? Dolan has just made it even harder for Isiah or anyone else to pull that wretched team out of its hole. Another bad day for Knicks fans.

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It's up to Stern, sort of. Dolan said he'll agree to whatever Stern decides. So if Stern give LB most if not all of the money, it's over. But if Stern nulls the contract, or reduces it by a lot, well we'll be seeing LB, Shelly, Glass, Stern, and the Dolans in court real soon.

BTW, the one year leash on Isaiah isn't that bad. It's something that everyone knew would happen, now it's out in the open. And if the players like Isaiah, it gives them motivation to win. Win, now, or we're cleaning house.

As for the media questioning Isaiah's every move, Lupica wrote the worst hack job, EVER. He ripped Isaiah and Dolan evey way you could imagine, while protecting his son's summer league coach. It may have been the most disgusting, vile, and juvenile rant, I've ever read by a sports writer. And that's not hyperbole. Wether you like LB or not, it was one of the best personal hit (Knicks)/protect (LB) pieces I've ever seen. McCosky must be jealous as all heck.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Can you link us? I want to see how it stacks up against some of your work. Sounds like your knickers are really in a bunch...

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah 16, you throw out a teaser like that you have to produce the goods.

10. max

max All-Star

Local sports writers are fans themselfs. I could imagine what I would think of the highest payroll in the league bringing in the 2nd to last worst record, and they don't even get the draft pick.

The Knicks are a failure on many fronts. Isiah is going to have to salvage his high ticket players trade value - thats the only hope he has. But he created that mess, he traded for the players and hired LB. Last summer he just had to have LB at all costs.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Stern must put an end to NBA Head Coach white collar crime!

--------
    Cali you came outta nowhere to land that one!:laugh: :pound:
    If he had on short shorts you could've seen his catheter. :ohwell:
    Does MJ have the qurky look of a coach whore?
    -----------------
    Did LB invent this new white collar crime? Maybe he got envious of seeing another coach get cut and get a huge settlement. He always knew he could write his own ticket. Add his agent Glass as an uncooperative witness. Dude collected $17mil. last year, far out doing The Zen Master. This by a guy walking around with a catheter. Let's say he pulls $10mil. from NYKs. And get's another $8mil. from some other sucker. He's still at the top of the game.
    ...In LBs defense [and there is none] why wasn't he allowed to wreck this team for one year then rebuild? Is that sound logic in any form? He was supposed to have 5 years. Dream Job alright. He played poor Zeke. He reminds me of the scam artist that would move into a property and start breeding roaches. Just F'in chit up. 8 months ago when JT the Brick said LB should be arrested at MSG and hand-cuffed, I thought he was being a little harsh. As a big NY homer I can see he was right.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Re: Stern must put an end to NBA Head Coach white collar crime!

I still think Glass is the mastermind here...LB's his mega-million gathering stooge.

13. ggazoo69

Re: Stern must put an end to NBA Head Coach white collar crime!

Glass is probably getting 20 percent. :laugh:

14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

ESPN is reporting that according to a document the Knicks filed today, the team paid LB $18.5 million to ride his escape goat into the sunset, which is a little less than half of what he had left on his contract.

15. ggazoo69

Pretty good deal for LB if you ask me. Freakin' Brown.

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

18.5 mil out of the 40 he was owed? Sounds like Stern beleived Brown was trying to get fired and tanking the season. That's the kind of coach I want on my bench, Larry "Coach the right way" Brown.

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What a stupid move that has Isiah written all over it. I know the Knicks have a lot of money and a large revenue base but can they keep tossing away millions??? LB, Jalen rose...thats just this year.

I liked how his teams played but I'd be happy if i never see him agian.