1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Lakers fire Mike Brown

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Nov 9, 2012.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What a total joke, embarrassment, downright stupid, silly, unfair, loser move from Lakers management. Sure, our team might suck, but at least we aren't a sideshow circus.

Lakers fire coach Mike Brown - Yahoo! Sports

brofmfa likes this.
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

With Kuester already on the payroll and knocking on the head coach door I saw this coming.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe has to be so jealous that he can no longer fire his coaches.

brofmfa likes this.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Actually, Jerry Buss flew Joe out to LA to do the deed for him.
    He wanted it done right an nobody does it better than #4.

On a related note, Buss will NOT be consulting with Joe on a replacement for Brown.

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Aaand the replacement is??? Sloan...no? D'antoni...who?

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just 1-4...they jumped the gun..Have to wonder if he would been canned on Monday if they had lost to the Pistons on Sunday?

Does Lawrence Frank get fired if the Pistons go 0-10? (Hopefully)

Nash is hurt, Howard is still in recovery and they have no bench........ did they expect this team to come out of the gate 4-1 or 5-0?

brofmfa and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I never agree with these decision. But I hate the Lakers, so they can suck it up.

Everyone saying Phil Jackson, but that is just silly talk. Triangle won't work for LAL with their current roster I don't think.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kind of a slimy move by Jackson, but I'm sure it will be him.

With Nash, Kobe, and Howard, they have some strong personalities and they're mixing 3 guys who were all previously "the man". Might be easiest to solve the leadership dilemma by bringing in the Big Kahuna. Even Kobe has to respect him.

9. LA Dre

The Laker fans want Phil, but I am hoping that he just sits it out stays retired. If he does come back, hopefully they still fail to prove the point that you can't buy championships with old players like Kobe, Nash and semi broken players like Howard and uninspired players like Gasol.

Remember when they signed Malone and Stockton in 2004, they thought that 4 future HOF players and coach in Phil was enough to sweep through the playoffs and on to a titled.

If anything, they should hire Brian Shaw an assistant for Phil who helped keep the players focused during the 2009 and 2010 championship years. Since i cheer for the other team at Staples, I just hope it is a long season of finger pointing and a first round playoff exit for the Lakers come April.:beer:

10. The Panda

I still don't think they actually want Jackson. Sure it will bring a crowd every night, but think about the system that he brings.

Gasol fits perfectly. He is agile enough to run the blocks and even the corner. He can shoot really well. Perfect match.
    Howard does not fit. Although he is fast enough to run the blocks, and strong enough to set picks at the high post, he can't shoot. So the whole space advantage is given up as soon as he steps outside the key, guards can sag off him and focus on the perimeter spots perpendicular to the key and the corner even coming off screens.
    MWP is not a good passer. Although he shoots well from 3pt (relatively) he will often get 15-20ft open jumpers (assuming he gets the space) which he just can't make. He also isn't fast enough, or dare I say it, smart enough to move to the right spot game in game out.
    Kobe is fine. We have seen him run this before, although I think with his age becoming a concern the constant off ball movement may wear him out prematurely
    Nash does not fit this system even in the slightest. Even though he is a great shooter, I think there are two problems. Firstly, he is a ball dominant passer. They may as well run Steve Blake if they are not going to use Nash to run pocket passes off pick and rolls. Gasol and DHo are two of the best players you could pair him with. Secondly, he is not an athletic guard, he plays with his mind, not his body (at least any more), a Chris Paul without a crossover.

The flotsam on the bench are also not going to be hugely useful either, with perhaps the exception of Jordan Hill and maybe maybe Antawn Jamison.

If I was the LAL, I would be going D'Antoni, making PnR with Steve Nash my bread and butter and screen sets for Kobe.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

This is great !!! Now the Pistons can get Mike Brown as their coach !!

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I bet Kobe already talked to Phil before he fired Brown.

linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Stan van Gundy is available. How about that, Howard?

linwood, jzchen and brofmfa like this.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Love this.

15. LA Dre

Reports indicate that Bernie Bickerstaff's tenure as the interim coach may be short lived as the Lakers have already talked to Phil today...(Could have been last week for all we know). Phil is already contacting potential assistants so Bernie may be on his way out too.

16. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Predicted this when the Lakers were 0-2. Although I don't like the decision, I still think Mike Brown is NOT a championship caliber coach. He will go down in history as the coach who has 2 best players in his era not to win a championship, a la LeBron and Kobe. He might even never get a head coaching job again.

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I hope the Lake Show does not hire Jackson. Jackson thinks he is bigger than the game. Now, he is asking for travel restrictions! This is classic case of the tail wagging the dog. Don't do it, Busses. The NBA does not need this guy back.

The Panda likes this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The guy has 11 NBA Championship rings. ELEVEN!!! Whether you like him or not, the guy can coach. The Lakers are in a world of hurt right now. They have NBA Finals talent, but they need someone to lead them to the promised land. If I was running the Lakers, I would hire Jackson in a heartbeat.

By the way, I'm not a Laker fan or a Jackson fan. It's just smart basketball business.

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, right. Jackson only won titles because his teams were loaded. Anyone could coach this Lakers team to a winning record....oh wait.

20. The Panda

I don't think anyone can doubt that. Even if he had no rings I would still consider him HOF lock - he has won 70% of the games he has coached in the NBA. He commands respect.

I just think his system is not a fit.

I'm calling D'Antoni.