Laimbeer in WNBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by aurora, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Yes, Lambieer does have an emphasis on D, the question is; will the current Piston roster buy into Lambieer`s system? Will they respond to his coaching personality and respect him as an NBA coach despite his WNBA coaching achievements???

I have my doubts about either as head coach at the present time...:(

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't think the Trammel comparison is fair. Laimbeer's head coached a professional team to 2 championships in 4 years. I don't think the step up to the NBA for him is as big as you might think, when you consider his NBA playing experiences (a tough exit in the ECF against the Celtics on a bad inbound and then 2 championships to follow) and being coached by Daly.

I think Laimbeer has far more coaching ability and knowledge of the NBA than my Sparty brethren Skiles...who is doing a pretty good job with the Bulls. The whole 'no NBA coaching experience' thing doesn't sit well with me. Laimbeer is a guy that has played & won, then coached professionally and won.

To me, putting Laimbeer in the head coaches seat is a no-brainer...and Mahorn otta be next to him...those guys have worked championships together...both playing & coaching.

3. Dlev59

If the NBA no coaching experience is a no brainer, please tell me who had a successful run doing it with no experience.......The Scott Skiles example is a good reference to an earlier post of mine; that an assistant head coaching position is a better fit for Lambs right now. Skiles got his career off as an assistant with Phoenix before becoming a head coach.

If winning, and being coached by a legendery head coach is a lock on becomimg a winner, then Magic Johnson should have been one of the better head coaches in NBA history, and I could name many more........

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm not saying BL would be a lock...just that he has the record & intensity to develop a winner. Magic could play...but couldn't coach...he's too laid back.

Do you feel better about Flip at the helm? What?...10+ years of head coaching mediocrity? AND driving the face of the franchise to leave?

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Completely agree with Dlev... the assistants role would be the natural progression for Laim.
    The first thing he would have to adjust to is how players run the league not coaches...
    His comments like "Who the hell do you think you are... go sit down" would instantly put him on the mutiny list.
    We know that "politically correct" is not in Laim's vocabulary.

6. Dlev59

As mentioned earlier I have my doubts about Flip or Lambieer coaching this current Piston squad..............A championship produced:drama: by either this year would be nothing short of a sports phenomenon!!!!!!!!!

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flip won two CBA championships in the early 90's and Laimbeer won two WNBA titles in the last 4 years. Based on recent history, I put more faith in Bill than Flip in getting the Pistons back to basics. (defense and toughness). Bill has the original Pistons Bad Boy DNA and even though he is gaining his coaching experience at the expense of the ladies, he is still close enough to the Pistons org and current players to know what's in their heads and probably knew more about the squad last summer then Flip did when he took over.

I still say if Flip flops hand it to Bill & Mahorn. Davison drove Isiah out and he screwed up trying to prove to everyone that he can be a s good as Joe. At least reward Laims . Mr. D loves trophies. He has six of them and Laims has contributed to four of them.:thumb[1]: