Laimbeer in WNBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by aurora, Aug 26, 2006.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Definitely Laimbeer got more out of his team than the underachieving Flip's Pistons. If Flip fails next season, look for Laims to move into the Pistons HC job.
    Good Job Shock :winner_first_h4h:and Tweety the MVP :first:

2. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Well, CONGRATS GIRLS! Nice surprise, in that Red Wings and Pistons had best record and lost.

3. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

The Shock proved again that they are champions. They never gave up, being down two games to one, and they fought to win the championship.
    Way to go Shock!

4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Great job by the Shock and Lambieer. Let us not get carried away folks, I believe Lambs will get his chance as an NBA coach but IMO he should start at the Asst HC position.

The NBA is not the WNBA!!!

Most NBA players will not give a flying fish about what he did in the WNBA, and others may not take to his rant and raving style if he chooses that approach. He does deserve a chance and I hope he succeeds.

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Pistons -- and Flip -- should take note. I'm sure they won't as the WNBA doesn't get its fair due, but there are lessons to be learned here.

6. LA Dre

You gotta give to Laimbeer some credit here as he has not only got the Shock to the finals twice but won them both. Larry Brown was able to get the Pistons to the finals twice but failed in his second try in getting the ring.

Flip has gotten two teams to the conference finals in the Twolves and Pistons, but has failed to deliver beyond that.

If you heard Bill Davison's post game comments when accepting the trophy, :first: he told Bill Laimbeer at the beginning of the season that part of his job description was accepting trophies and he is glad he got the hint"

Hopefully he tells Flip that at the beginning of the Pistons season and he, Joe, Tom Hammon and the Pistons players got the message and hint. :stirthepot:

Laimbeer was able to motivate his players into knocking off the #1 seeded team in the Sun and the defending champs in the Monarchs. They overcame a opening game blowout that took away the HCA, and was able to overcome another blowout loss in game 3 and survive to elimination games to win. Remember this is team that has talent bus plays uninspired ball sometimes like their palace mates and loses concentration.

Right now davison has Lams under contract. Lets just hope he doesn't let him escape to another NBA team in the next couple of years because we are not sure if he can coach men:lame: If Flip, filps out this season, promote Porter and move Lams up to the assistant corps

:dancingparty: The Shock invited 19,000 fans to the Joe and they are still partying in downtown motown:cheers:

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Laims certainly knows the game of basketball. I don't think his understanding of the game is an issue. He now has more championships at the pro level than Larry Brown, so I don't think experience is really an issue.

As far as the arguement about motivating men vs. motivating women? If you think that it's easier to motivate women, than you must not know any. :rolleyes:

If Flip flops, bring on Bill!

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Yessir! No truer words can ever be spoken.

9. Dlev59

Depends on what the motivation is for...............:wink:

10. LA Dre

I am one of the believers that Lams CAN motivate the guys. I am sure the current Pistons players have been around long enough to know that Bill means businees and he has 3 more rings than any of them. :)

Joe and Mr. D probably won't bring in LAMS midseason if Flip flops, but an early exit next May could have mean LAMS moves to the main locker room in the fall of 07.

As far as motivating women,:director: I have four that work for me and they move and get their jobs done much faster that the 11 guys I manage.

11. max

max All-Star

I think Lamb has been more successful as GM of the Shock than Coach. He does them both. He assembled a lot of talent and had a hard time getting the most out of it.

Guess he knew what he had and what he was trying to do. Shock were sub .500 last year and came back with essentially the same team to win this title.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

The Shock had injury problems last year...obviously they seriously affected the team.

Hey! Here's an idea...how about if BillD swaps his two coaches?
    :eyebrows: :tape:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SHOCK!!! :)

13. max

max All-Star

I did not follow them much last year.

swap coaches? Only if Mahorn was part of the deal. I highly doubt anyone would refuse to re-enter games then.

Seriously though. Porter was not a coach until someone gave him a chance. How do we know that Lamb or Mahorn could not handle it unless they were also given a chance.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

You're preachin to the choir here...I've wanted Laimbeer & Mahorn since LB got axed. My guess is Joe didn't wanna take that chance with the starting cast he had. I also believe that had Laimbeer been brought on a year ago, we might have made it to the Finals and Ben would still be here. We'll never know :ohwell: .

15. theBigMuddy

theBigMuddy Second Round Draft Pick

horray for the SHOCK!!! and Laimbeer too. Play to win! hopefully the Pistons can look at them and feed off of that. :king:

16. Dlev59

Wow, I know you guys love Lambieer, and so do I. He is all that Piston basketball stands for; hard work, dedication, committed to winning, you name it.

But what makes everyone think he can come into the NBA and be successful immediately? What NBA coach (with no NBA experience) has ever done that? Not saying it hasn`t been done, just curious.

I love Lambieer and I want him to become an NBA coach, however, we should be careful with our expectations, until he has a chance...

17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Congrats to Bill and the Shock.

I'm not sure it would be fair on Laimbeer to bring him straight into the head coach position. Imagine the pressure he would face. I think if it was going to happen he should have a season as an assistant at least to get used to to everything, then if there was a position open, look at giving him the reigns.

I have to say, I like the idea of having a few of tough, savvy ex-players and winners in the piston staff, namely Porter, Laimbeer and Harper.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Given the D mentality the Pistons are renowned for and Laimbeer's emphasis on D...who do you think is a better fit?...BL or Flip? BL will get his chance...hopefully it's with the Pistons.

19. max

max All-Star

Its risky. At least Lamb and Mahorn get along with Davison which is half the battle right there as a Piston head coach.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dlev, I'm with you. Laimbeer has shown he's a good coach and GM in the WNBA. It's a big step up to the NBA.

I would rather he keep winning titles with the Shock, than getting "Trammel'd" out of town as the Pistons coach.

He may be the right man if Joe goes with a youth movement, and starts rebuilding after this season.