Laimbeer in WNBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by aurora, Aug 26, 2006.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well it all comes down to which Shock team will show up at the Palace on Saturday. No mic'd comments from Laimbeer as his team silenced the critics as Katie wanted this one more than anybody as they were able to win with Tweety on the bench most of the second half.

The narchs had the champagne chillin:party: and looks like they need to ship it back to Costco. They came out as if they had already won the thing and were celebrating without playing the game.

The Shock played their best game of the series and held the Monarchs to 2 points in the 4th quarter.:p_welldone:
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

IM SORRY THAT IVE BEEN TOO TIRED TO POST and remove my caps lock. ive worked 50 hrs overtime yhis last two weeks. But I love my Shock and the halftime piece on Tweety was 'too sexy." See yall at the JLA. Nothing beats a road win with your back against the wall.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I stand corrected on Saturdays venue as it will be held at the Joe instead of the Palace. A road game for the Monarchs for sure but almost like a game on neutral court with the advantage going to Shock there as it relates to "Detroit basketball" fans.

Saturday night predictions

Shock >:dancingparty: Monarchs> :kleenex:
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You would think so...but this team keeps doing what you wouldn't expect. So we expect them to win, so we should expect them to lose. But that means they should win. Right? :ohwell:
  5. Darth Tater

The Arco Arena court was quiet and clean, free of any confetti or streamers. The celebratory T-shirts stayed in their boxes and the WNBA championship trophy remained hidden.

Shock 72, Monarchs 52 - WNBA - Yahoo! Sports

You have to hate the other team to win a series like this," said Laimbeer, prior to his team's 72-52 win in Game 4. "That is the attitude I am telling them to take. Hating the other team is the natural instinct any time, but you have to take it to the next level in a championship series. All successful championship teams absolutely have to have it."

Shock fired up -- sort of -- by Laimbeer - WNBA - Yahoo! Sports
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You gotta love Laimbeer's intensity. Sounds like the chicks aren't really on board though. He's becoming the overbearing Dad in little league.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Shock fired up - sort of - by Laimbeer
    SI.com

Laimbeer played 15 seasons for the Detroit Pistons, who were known as the "Bad Boys'' during the team's lengthy run as one of the NBA's elite teams in the ...
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's weird to think of Laimbeer and Jordan being on the same side of anything, but MJ would sure agree with Billy on this one. Laimbeer was blessed with the ability to hate anyone on sight, but I remember that Jordan had to search around sometimes to find some perceived slight on which to build his hatred of the opponent. Something funky happened during both those boys' toilet training.

I wonder though if Isiah could have mustered just a little more hate for Magic during that first championship series in '88 if the Bad Boys would have gotten the three-peat. It was the only one of the three series that was close - one play one way or the other could have given the Pistons three in a row.
  9. roscoe36

Zeke's hatred was fixated on the Celtics. The Pistons barely had time to hate the Lakers when the '88 Finals started.

Laimbeer's an old school competitor. This hug and handshake jazz that goes on now must be abhorrent to him. Today's athletes treat it more like a job than at any time in the past.
  10. Darth Tater

Adrian D. and VJ diving for that loose ball and cracking heads was one huge turn. (Apparently, it's the first time Adrian D. dove for a ball in his career,lol). Also the phantom foul on Lambs killed us.

I dunno if Isiah smooching with Magic at center court was a factor. He sure had his nerve complaining about Dumars being buddies with Jordan considering his own relationship with Magic..
  11. roscoe36

MJ attacked what the Pistons were, and that was Isaiah's team. I understand why cavorting with MJ wasn't cool in that locker room.

Joe was a great player, but a secondary piece on the Bad Boys. They did what they done because of the attitude and intensity that Laimbeer and Thomas brought to the team IMHO.
  12. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

this could be roscoe, but i've always wondered if joe's laid back vibe wasn't an integral part of why such combustible and intense personalities as lamb and thomas (not to mention some of the incendiary supporting cast members) could keep the energy focused on hating the correct people. if so, then there'd be an argument for his being a primary piece, albeit a more backstage piece.....just a thought
  13. Darth Tater

I agree Prof. I remember watching the Pistons and I always took Joe for granted. But now I think he played a much larger role than most of us realize.
  14. max

max All-Star

Its impressive how Lamb did not blow up the team when they failed for 2 years straight after 03. He tweaked a bit adding veteran guard Katie Smith.

Not sure about Lamb as an NBA coach as he may be too high strung but he could make it as a GM. His handing of the team has been very impressive.
  15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

You're right, Max. I was mad that the team wasn't changed a bit more drastically, but I was wrong. Laimbs thinks defense and rebounding wins. More often than not, it does.
  16. max

max All-Star

I have not followed them too much but the team seems basically the same as in 03.

They are getting a lot less production from Cash and Riley but some of the other players like Nolan and Ford have improved. Not sure if Pierson was on the team before but she seems to be playing good off the bench.

There were some changes. If Dumars was the GM he would have traded 3/4 of the team by now.

To me it seems like a team based around the big 3 of Nolan, Ford and Smith. Kind of a talent drop-off after them.
  17. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Chat open for game 5, so members of this forum can celebrate together?:winner_first_h4h: :p_welldone:
    What time is the game anyway?
  18. roscoe36

Chat is down, but if a handful of people want it, I will have it online in time for the tip tomorrow.

3:30 PM Eastern
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Shock did something the Pistons couldn't do against the Spurs a year or so ago: Hold onto a fourth-quarter lead. Laimbeer's a winner, flat out. Sign him up Joe D.

Looks like Joe Louis Arena brought some good karma.

Memo to Sacramento: Don't mess with the D. :winner_first_h4h: The D is not to be trifled with.
  20. Darth Tater

Oh, what with ducking giant skillets and all, I'd totally forgotten they were to play tonight.

CONGRATULATIONS to the SHOCK! That's just great. I'm very happy for Bill and the gals. It seemed lost a few days ago. Well done! (Lately, I hate the words "well done"...wonder why)?

Bill L. = winner.