Laimbeer in WNBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by aurora, Aug 26, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

If the Shock win today they'll go to the WNBA finals. I'm watching them because I can't for the life of me figure out the TV coverage of the Worlds.

Laimbeer is a riot. He's miked up or at least there's a microphone very close. You can hear him motivating the troops. Detroit just got technical fouls for having only four players on the floor. Laimbeer went insane on the referree. He's screaming at the female ref, and violently waving his arms around 2 inches from her face.:laugh:"Four on the floor is not a technical foul.(Repeated three more times at top of lungs!)" Then he goes over to the bench on a time out and tells them "Relax. We got to play through this. We're getting hosed right now." :)

He must be miked. You can hear everything he says. Still riding the refs about the bad calls. "Please get Margo when she pushes into Cheryl's back. She's doing it, she keeps hitting her. You've gotta call it." If I had known I could listen to Laimbeer coach, I would have been watching all these games.:nod: Highly entertaining.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah they Mic him for everygame. I think he is trying to show Mr. Davison that he knows what he is doing as it relates to coaching. if he can scream at the refs and be this hard on the women, just imagine what he'd be saying if it were coaching the Pistons.

If the Shock can maintain their composure and get beyond the Sun's HC and refs, we will finally have a team back in the finals that everyone forgot and buried. Need to take it today though, can't give the Sun another chance tomorrow. Deana Nolan is on fire and should be called MS Bigshot!!!

GO SHOCK:fingerscr
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well they didn't win yesterday but they sure did win today!

The Shock has Pistons DNA! The Shock defense was very very tough on that Connecticut team and it just threw them off their offensive flow and pace. There were some long scoring droughts by Detroit but the excellence of their defensive ferocity tided them through the scoring lullls. Sound familiar?

Yes indeed the Detroit Shock are going to the Finals.:whoo:
    Game 1 against Sacramento Monarchs is in Detroit at 7:30 EST on Wednesday, 8/30. :couch2: :pop2:

GO SHOCK! GO BILL LAIMBEER and RICK MAHORN!
  4. LA Dre

Well Aurora Kim, as you can see there is sure a lotta love poured out for the Shock. I am not sure how they will fair vs the Monarchs, but at least the did something that both the Pistons and Red Wings failed to do and that is getinto the finals. Give the credit to Bill Laimbeer who I think could do a better job of coaching the Pistons than Flipper.:pound: IMO of course...Let the debate begin on another thread if the Shock can grab its' second title by weeks end.

GO Shock, show the boys how to do it again:thumb:
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

6. LA Dre

Just saw the game replay on the NBA TY. da girls put a hurtin on the Sun. Their defense looked like the Pistons on 2004-2005. Held them to 18 points in the second half and Tweety was non factor on the offense. :pound:
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

8. LA Dre

The two teams split their two games this season with Shock blowing out the Monarchs by 20 on 7/26 and then the narchs blowin out the Shock by 33 four days later.

The Monarchs are hot right now and had no problems disposing of the Sparks and Comets winning all but one of their playoff games by double digits.

All of the Shock victories were double digit too with the 4th quarter being the turning point in all but the last game.

This one is going the full five games IMO

Go Shock - Give the Motor City another ring.

Time to change the address of the Palace to 5 Championship Drive:first:
  9. LA Dre

The Shock were embarrased on it's home court giving up a finals record 95 points to the Narchs and six threes from the former Shock draftee Kara Lawson.

Swin Cash and Ruth Riley refused to play--Well that's not true, Lams put them out there, but they clearly didn't show-up and the bench followed suit and did nothing either.

Swin was held scoreless for the whole game and Bill was held speechless in the second half -as his open mic was only heard taking pot shots at Cheryl Ford and the teams lack of effort.

Like their Palace mates, the Shock seem to wake up when their backs are up against the wall, so lets hope everybody shows up Friday or we are probably looking at the first sweep in the finals since 2002 and another Detroit team biting the dust in a year when their teams could have won as many a four championships:ohwell:
  10. Darth Tater

I wasn't expecting a game like this from the Shock. :ohwell: Seemingly came outta nowhere. Damn.
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

iM STILL TRYING TO GET SETTLED HERE IN RALEIGH, nC, BUT i GOT A SECOND TO COMMENT ON HE GAME. Oops, cap lock was on. Anyway, I think Laim is 'trying' to get bigger than the team . The team feels like 'he's' the show, and they dont look responsive to him at all. Lot of bickering on the bench and behind the scenes. Sound familiar? monarchs in 4...rats!
  12. LA Dre

Hey Bro welcome back, was wondering where ya been lately....Is Raleigh the new home base??
  13. ggazoo69

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Catching up on old news...

Seattle Post Intelligencer - Monarchs 95, Shock 71
    SI.com - 38 minutes ago
    ... Other faces in the crowd included Detroit Pistons players Dale Davis and Jason Maxiell and the Los Angeles Lakers' Maurice Evans. ... ...

Monarchs set records, crush Shock in opener
    Napa Valley Register, CA - 22 minutes ago
    ... Other faces in the crowd included Detroit Pistons stars Dale Davis and Jason Maxiell, the Los Angeles Lakers? Maurice Evans. ... ...

Coos Bay World - Shock aims to rebound
    Kansas City Star, MO - 54 minutes ago
    ... Coached by former ?Bad Boy? Detroit Pistons player Bill Laimbeer, the Shock is the kind of team that can go from pouting and finger-pointing one night to ...

Seattle Post Intelligencer - Ailene Voisin: No Shock: Laimbeer is same
    Sacramento Bee, USA - 2 hours ago
    ... More than once, he scuffled with his own Detroit Pistons teammates, most notably the team leader, Isiah Thomas. No one escaped his moods or his elbows. ...

Monarchs notes: Griffith impresses the Pistons' Dumars
    Sacramento Bee, USA - 2 hours ago
    ... Furthering the theory that expanding the WNBA fan base is all about exposure comes this little gem from popular Detroit Pistons president Joe Dumars: He ...
  15. LA Dre

Well it appears that the Shock are heading for elimination now laying a giant egg in Sacramento this afternoon, being blown out by 20 points. Once again Ruth Riley was a no show and the rest of the team other than Deanna Nolan had subpar games.

The Monarchs defense put the clamps on the Shock as once again they churned out almost as many turnovers (23) as they had FG's (24).

Not sure about how many of Riley's family and friends were watching the broadcast, but Laimbeer's mic was in it's usual form criticizing her. At one point he turned Rick Mahorn and asked him to ask Ruth if her "heart was in the game and if she wanted play today". Then another time when Riley was on the floor and she made another mistake, he turned to Mahorn and said "I got no one else to put in, so I have to play her":ohwell:

Looks like this series is over on Wednesday. Riley needs to be traded over the off season.
  16. Darth Tater

I thought the Shock were going to beat them in the series, but after the first game it was pretty clearly not going to happen.

Seems like you watch a lot of Shock games. What do you think of Laimbeer as a coach as far as bringing it to the mens league? How about with the Pistons some day?
  17. LA Dre

I am a homer when it relates to Detroit teams, and if I am home and the Shock are on the tube I watch and pull for them, just like I do the Pistons, Wolverines, Spartans, Mercy or EMU hoops teams.

I am one of the few who thinks that Laimbeer would have done a better job than Flip and I think he is still trying to show it with his sideline antics and vocal beratement of both the refs and his players. Still not sure he knows all of the womens' rules, but he should know the NBA rules. He complains a lot and I wonder how many techs he would get with his mouth and former reputation.
  18. ggazoo69

Laimbs would be a good draw at the Palace, too. If the team begins to struggle over the next few seasons, I wouldn't be suprised to see Old Man D bring Laimbs in to keep ticket sales high. :ohwell: Flip isn't flamboyant at all as far as sideline antics. I'm not sure the guy has a pulse half the time.
  19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

It`s very difficult to predict how good Laimbeer would be as an NBA coach. A lot of it depends on what team he would coach. Will it be a young team (Atlanta or Golden State) or a team with proven veterans.

One thing is certain in the NBA, the coach must be a motivator. Winning on talent alone does not guarantee a championship. Will Lambieer be able to motivate an NBA player? Sure Lambeer has a couple of rings, however, the style of play that he won them is null and void in today`s NBA.

I am sure someone will give him a chance to coach in the NBA, to me his biggest challenge will be motivating his players. I hope he will be successful when he gets his oppurtunity.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I thought he sounded like a horses arse yesterday... he spent most of his time badgering the refs and attacking his team... "Who the hell do you think you are"... sorry but that won't work in the NBA...
    He also seemed lost.... "what do I do"... "what can we do"... Not enough time giving detailed instructions.

I do like the motion in his offense... you don't see anyone standing around.