LA Lakers March 26th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 23, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There are holes everywhere. Obviously Walt played a great game tonight, he seems to have some chemistry with Will Bynum. But other nights he has sucked.

We're getting so little out of Stuckey, I wonder if he will end up as another Tony Delk. He's just totally lost at the point, and doesn't have any PG skills at all. Tay is even worse.

Afflalo, Tay, Max, Amir. It's a team full of complimentary players with no one to compliment.

Our most aggressive scorers are Bynum, Hermann and Sharpe. Seriously.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'll add: Dyess was an important part of that 2nd quarter run. It gave us another shooter who kept getting open when they doubled Bynum.

When we opened the 4th, with Kwame in, it was all different. And you know what a poor offense gives you. Missed shots. Fast breaks for the other team.

They could play off Kwame, and double Will with no penalty.
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

For a guy who claimed that he "never plays scared", it seems like he is ALWAYS playing like a scared little girl out there. I just can't believe that he is this bad.
  4. roscoe36

Bynum drives and is decisive whether he shoots or kicks.

Stuckey doesn't drive and look to dish. He's just going to barrel into the paint no matter what.

Bynum is someone who can be complimented. Walt did such a great job of making himself available as a willing outlet on offense. As did Dice.

But Tay seems to want to hold the ball, then back down into a double team, then make a bad pass (because no one shades to the arc near him) and kill the clock.

Some parts of that game, like when Bynum was a one man wrecking crew in the second, were awesome. Other parts, with Tay and Stuck at the point, were unbearably painful.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good observation. Personally, I don't like to get too heavy into particular plays, though its my hobby to study film, break down all the plays - both defensive and offensive. Just wanted to compliment you for paying attention.
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i just read the thread from the Stuckey 40 pt game vs Chicago.

hahahhhahahhahahhahahhahahhaha

I love u Guys!!!
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, I wasn't ridiculing you at all with my post. I intended to write more about the game but had to run to tend to my infant daughter. I was addressing the legion of Herrrrrman haters anway.

I don't see why you feel the need to belittle Walt's performance tonight though. Curry had him guarding Luke Walton for the most part which was a good match-up for him.

Sweet Walt has contributed this year despite not playing for large chunks of the year and fills an important role. At worst he has the size to guard his position. They could use more guys like him.

There is no way you can watch tonight's game and say Walt was the problem.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone think MC deserves the credit for Maxey hitting that 17' against the shot clock because of all those plays he's called for him coming out of timeouts when the clock is down?

How bout that free throw from Sharpe? One of the worst I've ever seen.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Well, we get to see what the Piston youth can do. Answer. Not much. To start, Afflalo was overmatced. They stopped up Tay and got out on Dice. So Afflalo had to look for the shot. He hit a couple and then nothing. Meanwhile, he was poor defensively and the team got down a lot. Stuckey just looked lost. The league knows his moves. He is not making adjustments. I actually thought he played Kobe ok later in the game on defense but lost the ball, etc. on offense.

Curry took Afflalo out and we all know Bynum lead a comeback expoiting the Laker weakness against guard penetration. Hermann was in the game with a big plus/minus which highlights why that stat. is useless most games. The game is more complicated. Hermann is still not a very efficient shooter.

Curry started Bynum in the third because Afflalo was no help in the 1st quarter and really, neither was Stuckey.

Tay was a disappointment among the regulars.

Youth watch:

Afflalo: 6 points
    Amir: 2 points
    Stuckey: 5 points
    Brown: 4 points
    Maxiel 5 points

No offense, no offense, no offense.

Can't win in this league without scoring....
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee, you do dearly love to cut down the roster of the Pistons. Rare form tonight. But you might want to actually start watching the games. Bynum and Afflalo were paired in the backcourt as we stomped LA pretty darn good in the 2nd quarter. And JMAX was in their playing some pretty solid D.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee, it is a roster that is 3 games under 500.

Bynum was the guy who led that surge and Hermann hit a couple. Notice I am not giving Walter the props as his output was based on Bynum's penetration and he still did not shoot well later or in the past.

I have been high on Stuckey but he has been figured out, seems lost, etc. Afflalo was not productive at all early in the game when the Pistons got down a bunch. His defense of late has not been stellar and his shot comes and goes.

This is a critical summer coming up for this franchise and they must be spot on in their analysis of their youth which will be the future. The team has a lot of money to spend.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The 17-0 run was entirely with Afflalo in the game. Every bit of it. In the first quarter, he was guarding Kobe. Quite a handful. I still don't think you watched the game.
  13. roscoe36

I don't think it is very fair in debate to attack something you have no way of proving. All it does is to serve to infer that the other poster is not credible.

Surely we can say that other people do watch the games, but come to different conclusions, rather than making the case that if you watched there was only one conclusion, and anyone who does not agree with "me" wasn't watching.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Hermann was in on that run as well. Notice I didn't give him any props either. It was obvious that Bynum was getting into the lane and breaking down their defense. Even the Laker announcers noted it. They made adjustments at the half per their coaching staff. End of game. Afflalo like Hermann happened to be in the line up. That is why I rarely use the plus/minus stats.

The Lakers weakness is guard penetration with Fishcer getting older and Farmar weak on the ball.

I can't get excited over a team that is under 500. This team does not look like a Piston team to me.

I am hoping that Sheed, Rip and AI come back and that we land Orlando.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I missed the first qtr which I believe was a 25-12 beat down by the lakers

I tuned into the second via radio as I drove down Las Vegas Blvd to meet up with the Low. The Lakers radio broadcast signal reaches all the way to Vegas so as I negotiated the traffic, I sat there in amazement along with Laker color man Mychal Thompson as the Pistons laid a 17-0 run on the Lakers.

Thompson said that Will Bynum reminded him of Zeke as he penetrated the Lakers defenseless scrubs at will. He even gave Herrrrrrmam some props criticizing the Lakers for leaving him open.

When I finally got to the Luxor Sports book, the Pistons were up 42-35 and the Lakers scored two ez buckets as the Pistons did their usual halftime shut down....I think Low said it started when Tay came back in:nod:..

Low and I watched the Pistons extend the 3 point halftime to 10 pts as MC started the only player who seemed to be a nemesis to the Lakers...Will.I.am. in the 3rd period

At 50-40 the Pistons were looking pretty good out there as we listened to the crowd cheer every hoop Pittsburgh and Xavier scored as that game went down to the wire on the big 75 inch screen. Meanwhile we had no sound for the Pistons-Lakers games so just watch it unfold with dismay as the Lakers laid a 30-5 run on the Pistons who took jumper after jumper after jumper and missed and missed and missed......all this happen after MC sent a tired Bynum to the bench. The Pistons did not make a single trip to the line during this run and the layup that Kwame made at the 6:42 mark of the third that extended the lead to 55-50 was a distant memory as the Pistons did not score a single point after that. In fact the Lakers 20-0 run to close the 3rd qtr all but trumped the Pistons 17-0 run in the second.

Like I said we didn't hear what Blaha and Kelser were saying and didn't hear who Curry was blaming for the loss, but when you allow your team to shoot all jumpers and go to the hoop only one time in a six minute span and don't address it time outs, what kind of coach are you?? We just did our own commentary and analysis for the rest of the game...

I know a lot of you are calling out Stuckey bout him hitting the wall, and not learning how to run the point....well it is true he is not PG no matter hard Joe is trying to convince otherwise. S[strike]t[/strike]uckey 5 pts 3 assists,,,Bynum 25 pts 11 assists.

And poor Tay...the dude has had it....if you give the ball to him, its a waste of 10 seconds....he is probably wondering why he has to log 40 minutes a game while the other three stars on the team are stting at home or on the bench in street clothes....but he has to keep the streak alive..:laugh:

11 games to go...how about a poll to determine if they should tank the rest of the season or play for 7th??
  16. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We bashed them and expected from them as if the young players are recognized stars and the last time I checked and found that they were no more than 1st-15th draft pick who have yet been taught nor developed. The silve linings are they're all holding themselves with nice demeanor. Great kids.
  17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...Dre and I had a great time watching and I had a great time getting to hang out with another forumite. It doesn't happen too often, but his assessment is right on.

Perhaps a slide to the 8th spot or even out of the playoffs will wake up somebody in this organization and get them to stop overvaluing our players, stop trying to mandate who plays, and actually DO some of the things they keep talking about wanting on the court. It's silly that we have to rely on our 8 through 12 guys to have any desire to get into the lane on a consistent basis. It starts with the coach and will find it's way to the players, but if the coach doesn't MAKE it happen, it never will no matter how many "slashers" you add to the roster.

That said, Dre made a great suggestion. I would love to plan a PF.com getaway here in Vegas (Draft night would be a lot of fun). I think we should all plan to have a big shindig where we can all drink frosty beverages, eat pizza, and party in the name of Piston Fandom. Any takers?

Even Canadians are welcome... :canada:
  18. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

Hermann stands out... to say the least
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

lol @ Sharpe's FT. That was uglier than any Ben Wallace Free Throw I've ever seen.

Bynum was fantastic, but we saw in the 3rd quarter that it wasn't quite the same once he was facing the Lakers 1st unit.

Which brings me to another point. Starting Bynum and Stuckey in the 3rd quarter was a brutal coaching move. Bring Bynum in for Rodney after 2 minutes if you have to but DO NOT put a PG on KOBE BRYANT. That was a joke.

Rodney was brutal (one of the worst I can remember from him). Bynum's play made this all the more glaring. Rodney just seemed to have a "lacking confidence" look about him that you usually don't see.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bunch of scrubs playing perhaps the best team in the league. And gave them a pretty good sock on the nose. Unfortunately the good teams don't fold, they just get mad. And Phil probably made sure they knew that coming out for the third.

What else do you need to know?