LA Lakers Jan 31 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 31, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm a little bummed out because I had a Tivo malfunction and missed the entire 2nd half... but did manage to catch the last minute. Sounds like I missed some good bball.

I was pretty frustrated with the refs and needed a timeout anyway. Oh well. So I will only see 81.5 games this year.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Sorry, yet another star went off on us and our coaching staff was helpless. Is this going to be the story again in the playoffs?

Our half court offense was lethargic. They got up into us and we couldn't execute. Most of our points/lead came off of turnovers early on.

How bad was that last Sheed 3 that followed a series of poor offensive sets down the stretch? Meanwhile, Kobe was having his way on the other side. Tay's rebound and shot were lucky outs. Is this the formula to go all the way...??

This Laker team without Bynum is not great defensively.

We really seem to lack a big body down low expecially for a 7 game series.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the alert microscoe...I ignored the site and chat until I had watched the game in it's entirety.... it was a nail biter to say the least and for while it apppeared that I would I have to face a couple of local Laker fans (like my mother in law) with my tail between my legs :)

Good win and lot of positive comments already posted so I will state obvious first. What if we had actually lost this game? :confused: Believe me we were heading that way as once again we let a team hang around that was supposedly limping :crutch:across country into the palace to almost beat our completely healthy team (save Rip). Tay's three ball avoided an almost certain defeat and left the local Laker announcers speechless. :tape2:

That 17 point lead disappeared when Sheed missed a 3 ball from the left and the Lakers rolled off a 15-5 run to close out the qtr and trail only by 5 at the half. All of the points off TO went for not as the Pistons slowed it down at the end and continued their funky play with the starters into the third qtr and allowed the Lakers to take the lead and quiet the Piston faithful.

THANK GOODNESS for our bench in the second half. (and beginning of the 2nd qtr). We would have lost this game if Flip had chose to go with Max and Hayes only. Excellent idea by Flip to leave Stuckey in there for extended minutes in the 4th, because CB was actually holding the ball to long in that 3rd. I loved Sheeds aggressive defense in the second Qtr, but he played with reckless abandon tossing up to many 3 balls in the second half.

I know our starters are our bread and butter, but we could have lost this game on the three techs on CB, Rip and Dice. The refs were bad though. They must have thought this was the TNT televised game . Lakers with 22 FTA in the first half to the Pistons 2?? :confused: It was almost even in the second half, but the Pistons could have exploited it more if they gone to the hoop in that third as they got in the bonus with 8 mins left and didn't capitalize on it.

Like I said before the game, we would need the our youth to win this game, because their guys would try to outhustled our "old me" and Kobe and his band of meery men almost did. :nod:

Just wanted give the obligatory negative spend that would been spewed out if we had loss this one...I can sleep ezy tonight...thanks Tay....ok you too Flip....:)
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

5. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Stars are stars cuz, you can make the best plans against of them but they can always overcome. Kobe is on of those players who can take over regardless of opponents and ther plans. So this is useless whining but rest of your critics holds ground.

Btw, lakers fans expected a bad loss( a blowout) and were pleasantry suprised when things didn't go so.

You may not belive that most of them were convinced that they lost this game because of...refs.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

HOOPSWORLD | NBA News, Rumors and Information

7. LA Dre

Agree with you here Lapiston, Kobe almost beat us by himself because ...he can. But his role players know how to keep it close. Thank goodness their 3 point shooting was off and they had 22 TO's.

We had 17 steals...anybody know what the Piston record is for steals in a game?
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Laker coaching staff told their team that they just needed to cut down on their turnovers from the first half. They were right. The Lakers were very effective against our half-court offense. They had trouble with Stuckey on the second team. The Lakers fans rightly thought that they had the game won. They outplayed us the entire second half, really, except for that quick spurt by the second team.

Down the stretch we had a poor turnover type lean in shot by Billips, an outside jumper by a hurting Rip and that Sheed 3 ball. Sheed was blocked on a broken play and we did have a Billips layup. Not good sequences against a Bynum-less team.

Yes, Kobe is Kobe but we have stopped him before. What I worry about is not tonight but the pattern of the last two playoffs that seems to pop up here and there again. Do we ever stop up a player when they start to go off on us? Can we? Can we score consistently enough when it really counts...?
  9. raxrets

raxrets Starter

What in this world are absolutely sure? I mean, besides taxes and death.
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

That everyone makes at least one rationalization a week.

:hoops:
  11. buddahfan

Did anyone notice the that the final score Lakers 89 and Pistons 90 were the two years that the Bad Boys won the championships and in 89, who did they beat but the Lakers.

12. max

max All-Star

Was this Stuckys breakout game? Best one I have seen from him anyway. We could really use guys who attack the rack like Stucky and Afflalo.

Anyone notice when the Pistons were agressive the whistles were good? When the bench came in with all that energy, bunch of virtual unknowns, they were getting a good whistle against Kobe and co. Then the starters came back with energy and the calls were fair. It should not be like that. All calls should be the same.
  13. LA Dre

Yeah the starters were too busy complaining so the refs ignored their crying only waiting to hear the key word that would result in a tech....

Stuckey played a game with no TO's and no fouls!!! And I don't think he got blocked on any layup attempts either... 4-5 shooting from the outside, a dunk and a couple of drives.... 16 minutes of solid play that should get him above 20 minutes consistently soon,.. we hope.....Good games from Amir and Afflalo too.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think this guy is an absolute moron. Let's see, Tay is no longer a defensive stopper because Rip played in position and guarded the opposing shooting guard. Something he's done pretty much every game since the Finals meeting. Sure.

Anyway...

Wow, great game. Lots of intensity, lots of energy, and Kobe doing what Kobe does. Some fairly dubious calls against the Pistons, but come on Dyess, what are you complaining about? That must have been an aggregate thing.

This was maybe the bench's best game. And I think it's at least partly because they came into a game that already had a high level of energy. It's got to be a lot easier coming in off the bench into an intense game than coming in the other night after the world's most boring first quarter. Starter intensity brings more energy and intensity from the bench.

Sheed didn't score much and shot badly, but he was embarrassingly good on the defensive end in the first half. It was like a cat toying with mice.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

jARVIS wHO? Great stat line: DNPCD!!!:pound:
  16. buddahfan

His name is not Jarvis, its Javaris.

I have seen both of them play in the NBA a number of times and I don't know who will be better Crittenton or Stuckey but Crittenton is going to be one heck of a player, you can bet your stash on it.

If you are going to criticize a player, you might want to learn what his name is first.

Javaris Crittenton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NBA Draft Positional Rankings - ArmchairGM - Sports Wiki Database
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, how bad was Odom's "game winner"??? He was wide open and missed long by about 2 feet. I can't even call it a choke because it was such a weird miss. I'm guessing 75% of the posters on this forum could have caught a piece of the rim from there.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, not quite wide open. I think it was Rip who had a hand in his face on the release, and he was barely inside the three point line, and it was an odd angle.

Ah hell...

CHOKER!!!
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Chauncey Billups B: Solid game, but it was not very good.

Rip Hamilton B: Great job first half on both sides, but he slowed down the second half

Antonio McDyess B-: Very little offense, but he crashed the boards well.

Tayshaun Prince A+: Very agressive. Taking it inside, crashing the boards...and hitting gamewinners.

Rasheed Wallace C-: A big baseline jumper late in the fourth keeps him from a D. Sheed was having a bad game today.

Jason Maxiell C: I used to think that he should not try to dunk the ball every time because the defenders would give him so much room, but I was wrong. Just take it in and dunk on them! A lot of jumpers for Maxiell today.

Aaron Afflalo A-: Nailed his open shots and he never quit when he was guarding the best.

Rodney Stuckey A: He was the spark off the bench. He cut through the defense and he also did a good job of handling the offense with 3 assists and 0 TO's

Amir Johnson A-: He dominated the boards while he was in there. Another big spark.

Jarvis Hayes B-: Hit some nice shots.

Primoz/Hermann/Lindsey/Flip M./Samb: Incomplete

Flip Saunders A: Early in the game he called good Timeouts and he had a very good rotation.

Overall: B+
  20. max

max All-Star

Afflalo as well looks better than him.