LA Lakers At Detroit - Jan 29 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by max, Oct 18, 2005.

1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

My only real concern with this game (other than the fact that we let them back in the game in the fourth when we could have given our starters some rest) was that we looked pretty bad at times against the press.

Other than the second quarter, I thought we did a reasonably good job on Kobe. Mo Evans had a lot of trouble against him, although Delfino was a bit better. While he's not as athletic as Evans, I thought he was much more disciplined, not biting on the head fakes. Tay still seems to present him with some problems.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that the Lakers should press like that every game. It gets other guys on their team involved.

Did anyone else here find the ESPN announcers annoying? There were 3 of them + Steven A, and they provided a constant stream of babble throughout the entire game. It was exhausting. And on top of that, it seemed like they hadn't really been following the Pistons. "Dyess is having an off-year and is waiting to get back on track..." ??? he's already back on track. "Tayshaun, more than any other piston, has been unleashed this year under Flip Saunders..." ??? On the contrary, Chauncey, Rasheed, and Rip have been unleashed. And to cap it off, those bandwagon cats couldn't stop kissin up to the team that they all predicted would lose to Miami in the East.

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

My only real concern is this: How many brain cells does Tommy Hearns have left? Geez, he sounded as if he'd just gone 12 rounds with Hagler or Duran rather than 3 with Stephen A.

I give the Lakers credit for hanging in there. They pressed the Pistons and made C-Note work, and work, and work. The pressing was a good idea because it didn't allow the Pistons to get into their sets quickly and Detroit looked very bad in the 4th quarter. Also, it is clear that Flip has little trust in Arroyo, at least for this game.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lakers made it interesting at the end. By that time, we'd already lost the chat to discussion of the all-time hated by Pistons fans team. A good convo, but definitely a sign of the times with the Pistons on a long game winning streak and clearly the best team in the NBA thus far.

The mystery of Carlos Arroyo's playing time continues. Flip seems to be sticking with an 9 man rotation that is really a 7 man system. Evans and Dice are the only recipients of consistent PT from the bench.

Next game at New Jersey could be a trap. Then again, the boys are more than up to the task...

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Well, that is the state of the Lakers. As I said on my pre-game comments, they just don't have much talent around Kobe. You guys all saw it. On Laker radio, fans are complaining right now about the team.

6. roscoe36

From the ESPN game Notes

Looks like some stuff never changes for Smush. It's a wonder that Phil Jackson can handle Parker and Brown at the same time.

ESPN Box Score

Pistons win 102-93

7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Re: game report

Good job, Bro Lee...I believe Chauncey should take the week off myself before all star game...whacha think?

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

They are an indoor crew. we wont see them at another game.WATCH!!!! They were technically awful, although John is good and Legler would be better LEFT ALONE....Greganthony is my boy, and all, but loves the sound of his own voice...and Stephen A...I mean "REALLY!".....:eyebrows: :laugh:

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I will ALWAYS love Tommy but just like interviewing Magic, Ali or Stallone...PLEASE! No more!!!:nod:

10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I love the fact that Billups had an off night and the rest of the starters picked it up.

Tay 19 points 5 over his avg.
    Sheed 24 points 9 points over his avg.
    Ben 14 points 6 points over his avg.
    Rip 20 points 1 below but still a solid game

I got to say I was pissed about alot of the missed shots in this 1 but it almost seemed like everytime we had a bad shot we got the offensive board so I cant complain too much I guess. 37-5 unfreakinbelelivable.

11. roscoe36

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

tay was great tonight, sheed was fine except 2/11 from 3-land (sheesh!!). we looked a little sloppy on the press so that's actually something for them to work on in practice. dunno what's up with arroyo's less-than-10-mins-a-game stuff lately though.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Arroyo's play

He brought the ball down 9 times. We got a good shot off 8 times. The only time we did not was as the 1st quarter ended, as we were working with a short shot clock.

We scored 7 of the 9 times down. (Should have been 8 if Rip had not fumbled that rebound right under the basket.)

On defense, not once did a point guard score on Arroyo, nor get away from Arroyo to break down our defense. Their scoring was Mihm once working the post, and Kobe getting away from his guy on picks and nailing some shots.

Arroyo played 5 minutes. No assists, nor any other stats. No fouls. It was a 6 point lead when he entered the game, and an 8 point lead when he left. Plus 2.

Two factors kept Billups in the game. One, Billups was our first option in this game as far as who we were putting on Kobe. Second, Billups had sustained a nasty knee to his thigh. He stood the risk of that thigh tightening up on him if he sat any in the 2nd half.

In sum, we got 5 minutes of flawless play from Arroyo. The one thing Arroyo could not bring that Billups does is defense on Kobe. (And just like Tay, the fact that CB can defend Kobe so well makes him one darn valuable player. MVP of the league, why not.)

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

When you look at the starter shooting percentages for this game, it's amazing that the Pistons won so handily. Sheed, Rip and Chauncey went 9-21, 9-23 and 2-10, respectively. Offensive rebounding and defense continue to shine, even though the revamped offense didn't. Particularly indifferent game by Chauncey, who managed the flow well enough but seemed to think he could break the press all by himself and paid for it with turnovers.

The bench was sneaky good. Dice was 1 point from a double-double in just 17 minutes, Evans and Arroyo contributed, and Delfino had a tremendous four minutes at the end of the half, in which he held down Kobe on defense, rebounded the misses and helped stretch the lead to 9 just when it looked like the Lakers might catch up. One of the best "scoreless" efforts I've seen for a while.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

not right on the score, but perfect on kobe's points.

16. roscoe36

Tay's dunk on Mihm was dunk of the night!

**LINK**