Away L.A. Lakers Sunday, November 17, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, Bynum being on the team does waste an extreme amount of practice time. But this game was lost by a coach who refuses to notice the obvious, that Singler simply should not play for us. He has insisted from the gitgo that Singelr will play. Perhaps its simple stubborness. But Singler playing does not help us. You know, I do not think anyone has picked up English. He would be a far better choice at backup shooting guard to Pope vs. anyone else currently on the roster.

I like Stuckey playing backup minutes for Jennings, as a point guard. But any minutes at shooting guard for Stuckey is a waste, because he just does not have a steady enough long range shot. His very decent shorter midrange game is ideal for a point guard though.

And Mitchell is the only guy we have on the team at the moment who belongs in the game when any of our front line sits. We need to go out and get another guy similar to Mitchell for better depth up front.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes, he has really shown a lot in his 14 minutes of NBA garbage time.
    The Panda and LA Dre like this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He played in the preseason. And he has played just a bit in the rotation. I pay attention. And study film. As you know. You can see a lot if you pay attention.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur that Singler gets more PT than he deserves...The longer Tony Mitchell stays on the bench, the more he will become a non-factor.

Don't trust JJ anymore, so Mo needs to make a decision on the flight home to start giving Pizza Guy, Chazz or Mitchell some more minutes, because losses are starting to pile up because of the second unit. The Pistons built a 9 point lead to begin the second, but as soon as Jennings, Monroe and Josh sat, the lead never made it to double digits as we couldn't shoot and could not stop the long transition hail marys by Blake.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Rome was not built in a day... lack of scoring was the obvious marker after trades and FA signings. Can't "fix" it now - next summer Dumars has enough freedom under cap for true scorer or he will trade certain expiring contract at the trade deadline before.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Jennings has to show he can hit multiple shots when the game is on the line. He hasn't so far. Micro, maybe he does need to unleash his shot earlier. He is trying to learn to be a point guard and must learn to integrate that task with the shooting. Right now, he has to prove he can do both-- by sometime this season at least. If not, the team will have to go in another direction.

Another concern so far is Monroe. Box scores don't tell the story always. He is not getting key baskets when the team needs it. He is not showing he is a go-to guy. Either the team loses the ball trying to pass to him, he loses the ball passing it to someone or he misses or he misses free throws. The Lakers had a 9-1 run and a 16-0 run. That tells you there is no one on the team who is being a go-to guy to stop runs or who the coach will put in to stop runs.

Or, is it that both players, Jennings and Monroe, are playing without a system? Then it is the coaching that must be questioned. The team collapsed in this game.

I don't think Dumars can wait too long. The next 20 games will tell where this team is going. Right now, they are too disorganized to win consistently. A shooter and another guard probably need to be brought in.
  7. roscoe36

I guess in slow mo, 14 minutes can seem like 14 seasons. :)
    BallDon'tLie and round like this.
  8. roscoe36

I don't think a lot of Monroe. He's a good time player who gets his own numbers when there is no one else on the team who can score in the paint or rebound. His numbers have gone down while Drummonds have gone up. By next season, Andre will clearly be outplaying him every night.

Jennings was able to score early in Milwaukee. I think he is working extra hard to get other guys going. I am not sure he is the ideal player to be leading the charge offensively, but its not like we dont have the rebounding for his misses.
  9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Easy there, easy. This team is at the road trip and that's long western trip. No time for practises and so on. Also trades are impossible now - everyone wants to figure out their own assets before initiating trade talks.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Singler was our plus minus leader on the season going into tonight. He is also our "off court" plus minus leader on the season, meaning that the team crumbles when he's on the bench with a deficit of 14 points for every 48 minutes.

You're highlighting his -20 tonight as evidence that the coach doesn't know what position he plays? Just one game where the opponent shot lights out in their own building and on a stretch where we are 2-48 in similar situations. What about Pope's -22?

The opposing PG tonight had 16 assists and one of their bigs went for 24 points and 17 rebounds.

Singler has been pretty flat, but you're giving +/- a bad name by basing a conclusion on a sample of 10% while ignoring the other 90% that preceded it.
    round likes this.
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Jennings needs to learn the skill of knowing what nights he needs to shot in the 1st and what nights he needs to pass in the 1st.

This team has FOUR new starters guys, and our guards have been a revolving door since practice started... We are not going to win in the playoffs this year, so I'm willing to have patience till say Christmas or shortly after to see how folks are jelling before I leap off the bridge.
    linwood likes this.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

We'd be undefeated if we swap Middleton in for Singlers mins.... :burp:
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Agree. Jennings is just learning the position. But the time line is limited. This team needs to show it can win this year. But they looked like the Curry-Kuester teams against the Lakers. At one point, Jennings was baited into the corner where they then stole the pass. Seen that before. They lost the ball passing to Monroe (happens too much) and later Monroe lost it passing it to someone else (happens too much).

We are not even talking about defense. Why was Wesley Johnson beating the entire team down the court for lobs time and again? Why did the defense collapse on that 16-0 run? Was the team "packing in" the last game of a long trip? The Pistons are not in a position to "pack" anything in.

At 30 games, we can get a beat on this time. Yes, we need to wait. At 9 games it seems that the pre-season was a waste of time. This team is not organized to produce results that it should produce even with questionable guard play, a lack of NBA shooters and a talented by young center who, while inexperienced, still outplays his teamates on most nights.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I totally agree with you here on both cases, especially Monroe. He's a solid player, but more of a David Lee type. He's certainly not a max player, because he's not a great defender and not a guy you can use to get you points all by himself. I still wish they had trade him for Kawhi Leonard last year (sour grapes), but as was mentioned here, the Pistons need floor spreading, outside shooting, and defense - my God, do they ever need perimeter defense.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Was there a Kawhi Leonard deal on the table?
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I do feel that the pre season was wasted due to complacency by the coaching staff.
  17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

No, there never was, other than in my own little fantasy world.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'd hate to overwhelm the guys by them having to learn the schemes in training camp while there is nothing else going on. I think waiting for the season to start makes it easier to soak in.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Freaking Lakers.
    ...Dangit!
    Some observations:
    • With the exception of not boxing out Jordan Hill, solid game from the Piston front line. The game tape from this one could be used to create an instructional video to illustrate the effects of not boxing out an opposing rebounder.
    • If you exclude shooting the basketball, KCP had a good game. He was the only guy that I saw bother to play any peremitor defense. I hope that Cheeks saw this too because Stuckey and Singler are killing us in this particular area. Stuckey and Singler need to learn that "hoping for a miss" isn't an effective way to guard against the jumper. ..."Hope is not a strategy!" - Dr. Benjamin Ola Akande
    • It's 10:01 am MDT the next day and I belive that Kyle Singler is still in the process of closing-out on one of Jody Meeks' 3-pointers.
    • Jennings HAS to become more efficient. He played a good game. It could have been a great game if he coulda just pumped the brakes on some of his chucking.
    • Why does everybody think that Pizza Guy is slow? He looks pretty quick to me and is one of the better defenders that the Pistons have against jump shots.
    • Next time, Maurice might want to mention to some of our Pistons that Wes Johnson is kinda athletic and you might not want to turn your head.
    • IMO: to an extent, a coach should let rookies play through and learn from some mistakes. Vets? ...not so much.
    • Another game - another AOTG from Jennings to Drummond. ...awesome!!!
    LA Dre likes this.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The AOTG was a thing of beauty. KCP showed some flashes of his offensive skills. I think he will grow into a solid player if given the chance.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.