Away L.A. Clippers Sunday Mar 10 2013

Discussion in 'March 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It's easy. You watch for substitution patterns, defensive/offensive schemes, play calls, & adjustments on the floor (depending on in-game situations). You could also toss time-out usage in there as well.

The problem comes in that, Joe keeps hiring guys who are sub par at many of these categories. And that, by default, makes them easy to fire (and makes it easy for Joe to keep his job). Hell, we had the best coach in the game, won an NBA title, and STILL were able to cook up enough reasons to fire the coach.

My problem last night was our poor performance on the floor, in terms of approach. Our gameplans are woefully inadequate. We don't coach based on our match-ups. We just run our same game plan out there, no matter who we play, and we get ourselves pasted because A) we are clearly tanking and B) we can't adjust to what specific teams are doing because we're just 'runnin' our system, boys.' We START plays with guys out of position and our defensive arrangements force our players to chase the ball instead of defend individual players and help when necessary. We're constantly scrambling to recover because we're double teaming ALL the time, instead of when necessary. Again, we're clearly tanking.

There's a lot of players on this team that I actually like, but Joe D has crippled this team by holding on to the wrong guys for too long, letting the right players (players he should keep) walk, overvaluing "his" players, and over-committing to the "next best thing" financially AND chronologically.

Lastly, I was just as embarrassed as any other fan last night, but what really irritates me is not the rest of the world piling on (they do it WHENEVER Detroit is down). What really annoys me is our own media and fanbase's willingness to jump on the bandwagon for ridiculing Knight for doing what he SHOULD be doing and what no one else was doing: CHALLENGING GUYS WHEN THEY ATTACK THE BASKET. If we are going to have guys that get out of the way when someone wants to dunk on us, then those are guys I don't want in Detroit. It's bad enough that the league and every other media outlet will run this video clip in perpetuity, but to see our fans/media piling on is really frustrating.
    alexa032, brofmfa, The Panda and 3 others like this.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

That's why this is coaching. You don't have Brandon Knight guarding DeAndre Jordan. Hill should be ashamed of himself.
  3. Laimbrane

I agree deeply with everything you said here, except with the fans/media piling on - nobody I've seen has blamed Knight in the slightest for what he did, and most people seem impressed by his toughness and willingness to try it.

His Twitter response to it is almost as good as the dunk itself, though...

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If I was coaching, I would have put Slava out there to take a few hard fouls on guys trying to dunk.
  5. Pwn Toney

I'm not talking about blaming him...I'm talking about joining in on the ridicule. I've seen a lot. If LA media or ESPN want to poke fun, so be it, but why is local media highlighting this crap? ...and DET has always had fair weather fans, but when stuff like this happens...it reminds me of all the "Jordan fans" who popped up, once CHI got close to beating us.

What they're saying: DeAndre Jordan over Detroit Pistons' Brandon Knight was 'dunk of the year' | MLive.com

Brandon Knight, Pistons flattened by Clippers (with video) | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Watch: DeAndre Jordan's 'dunk of the year' on Pistons' Brandon Knight, plus Twitter reaction | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
  6. Laimbrane

I don't see why they can't give him grief about it while they pat him on the back. Help the dude laugh it off.
  7. Pwn Toney

Seems a lot more like laughing AT than laughing WITH to me.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bk is what made the dunk so good. That beats any dunk contest gimmick. The size mismatch makes him a sympathetic character in this.
    Laimbrane likes this.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The fact that Knight went after Jordan and challenged him on that play says a lot to me. I didn't see very many other Pistons on the court yesterday that challenged much of anything.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm talking about effort. Your second paragraph seems to suggest you're really talking about coaching talent or ability.
    linwood likes this.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

If the team is tanking, it is too late. The Pistons probably won't draft higher than the 10 spot and even that is not a given.

The team just gets no help from its veterans. How many games has Stuckey, Maxiel, CV, etc. won by carry parts of a game the last few years.? And the youth is not yet ready to win. Without Drummond, the team is not competitive against the better teams when those teams come out with a purpose.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Fixed.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

If I was coaching, I would have used TRG, Moose, and Blocko. I would have wheeled Blocko right under the basket and instructed TRG and Moose to play No Free Chili style all night. I would let Blocko take the three second violation in order to get the Clippers out of rhythm.
    See? It's really not that hard.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. Pwn Toney

I am to some degree. I agree there was a lack of effort on some players' part, but I also think you can blend that with some guys playing poorly. I don't always equate poor performance with lack of effort. You can play hard and just not get good results. My commentary on coaching spans the last 5 years.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Last year Knight got posterized when he went to stuff Speights? at the rim. He is a competitor. We need guys like that.

Monroe gets some blame but its because he's the teams best player. This is his game. He is owned by athletic bigs. Always has. Why? because his partner is either Maxiell or JJ or CV. He is not so good that he doesn't get flat out neutralized in these situations.
    linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

By the adjustments? Was it routine? Did Jose guard CP the whole game or did they try someone else? Its an active process. If you did what you always do and hope for a good result, can you say you really put in the effort?
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Agreed.

When a big man challenges a guy by trying to block his shot and gets dunked on, it a "poster".
    When a little guy like Knight steps up to challenge DeAndre Jordon or Mo Speights, it's bravery!
  18. Pwn Toney

Very true, but if you're going to continue to play guys like Prince, Maxiell, and Stuckey (who routinely got 30+ mins a night), you can't make the claim that you expect to contend for the playoffs. Especially when you aren't willing to make changes in the face of blinding facts (see Stuckey's percentages and Drummond's play). Besides, when you put up a red hot 9 points in the 1st qtr against IND and don't feel the need to substitute, you've clearly given up or you possess the highest level of incompetence.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you are joking, but just in case, Knight slid over to help Monroe, who let Jordan slip to the basket unattended. If you watch the play, it is obvious that Monroe made no effort. I agree that BK7 should get props for at least attempting to play defense.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When Kravtsov rose up and blocked a shot in the paint, the ball ended up outside the 3-point line, where the Clips immediately nailed it. He turned a sure 2 points into 3 and that was one of our best plays of the game. 16 3's and 16 dunks. No stopping that onslaught with our personnel. With Drummond, I'd like to think that they would have had 8 dunks and we would have had 4-6.