Home L.A. Clippers Monday, January 20, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs L.A. Clippers

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 1:00 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Where is everyone. Tip off just now.

3. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Where the heck is Sheed? Third game in a row he's missed. I'm starting to get worried. He didn't get fired did he?

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Whoa, didn't realize it was such an early game. I'm not even fully awake yet.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons held their own in the first quarter leading by 2, but the combo of Stuckey, Singler and Bynum in first part of second quarter let it get away. You can't give up 64 points in a half and hope to win. The camera caught the frustration on Cheeks Cheek face as Bynum turned the ball over in the last 10 seconds that led to two FT on the other end. You could read the F bomb on his lips. (This was from the Clipper camera since I am force to watch their broadcast.)

Clippers are shooting 66% for the half with DJ & Blake Griffin (21 pts) having a field day in the paint as the Clips lead in that category too 32-26. Haven't kept up with all of the dunks but I believe they lead us 7-2. So far Monroe, KCP and Jennings are non-factors in this game.

6. Walter

Jennings' inability to execute the pick and roll is starting to drive me crazy.

7. Walter

94-78 after 3 quarters. Miserable effort on defense. Our offense doesn't look too bad to be honest; most possessions we didn't score is due to us playing dumb. But, we can't seem to stop anything. Clippers score in any and every way they feel like doing.

8. Walter

Let the 4th quarter chuck-fest begin.

9. Walter

Bynum-Jennings-Stuckey at the wings for our "comeback". This is disgusting to watch.

10. Walter

Josh Smith being contained in the 4th by the defensive stalwart that is a washed-up, recently unretired Hedo.

The Panda likes this.
  11. Walter

Stuckey-KCP-Singler-Smith-Drummond mounting a comeback. Down to 10.

As roscoe would say, "never stop believing"

12. Walter

Another loss due to lethargic, half-interested effort by the Pistons. Cheeks can't motivate these players. They are one of the most uninspiring Pistons teams of late. Even Tablecloth could get more out of the current team.

Fire Cheeks NOW!

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons won the second half 50-48, but that defensive effort in the second quarter where our second unit got swatted by theirs was the difference.

Maybe if Jennings had drove to the bucket a couple of times, he could have gotten fouled and made at least a FT instead of getting shut out in the scoring column. What happen to moose? Blake moved around him at ease in the first half.

DeAndre Jordan had more offensive rebounds (9) than our whole team and we are tops in the league in that stat.

Stuckey led the team in scoring with 29 points, and could have had 35 if hadn't been blocked three times....Josh Smith looked decent with 24 points...if only he could hit some free throws....

Crawford & Griffin combined for 51-8-9....which was bad for the Pistons, but good for my fantasy team stats...

Because of the Pistons comeback in the 4th, Clipper and Detroit native Willie Green was not able to get in the game for garbage time after buying tickets for 40 family and friends....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    brofmfa likes this.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Singler was minus 20 as he got rested late 3rd / early 4th. We were down 20 when we went out. Every point minus for the team, while he was in.

We started making a comeback as soon as he exited the game.

Back in he comes. Sure, we gained a few points and made the game semi - respectable, but they were just coasting at that point. The game was lost very clearly by one factor, the absolute, unreasonable, obsession of the coach to play Singler.

Singler, if anyone cared to notice, was often put on a guard, even though he was in as the small forward. Which continually left us small inside. Real small, never better than two bigs and a guard whenever Singler was in the game.

This was pure coaching non-sense.

Who cares if Jennings did not score? Really? The ball was going inside, exactly where it was suppose to go, and our starting unit was plus 3 thankyou. Nothing wrong with our starters.

We started this game with Smith going inside a lot, against their small forward who was helpless to stop him. We were using our size advantage big time with our 3 big lineup. When Singler comes in? That STOPS.

Stuckey was amazing in this one, but every bucket he put in, Singler, and often Bynum, gave it right back up on the other end.

Wow. A terrific starting unit, competing very well with a very good team. And a dynamite bench guy in Stuckey who can come off the bench and score dynamically. But against that: A coach without any inkling of a will to win a game, but rather an effortless coach who refuses to do his job. Rather, he is too into his obsession with seeing how many minutes he can play Singler before he gets fired.

Great game to watch, in regards to watching great games from Smith and Stuckey. Too bad it was so marred by the presence of Bynum and Singler.

brofmfa likes this.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Same game, different team. The Pistons season is slipping away...

At this point, the good is that Stuckey is getting showcased. The same needs to be done with Monroe--showcase him and go to him to score. The question is do you make player moves now or do you throw in the towel on the season??

I actually think the effort is there. That is what is scary. The personnel and the lack of any system does not allow the team to compete most nights. Most teams have gotten better, the Pistons have not and now they are well scouted by the opposition. You have to feel sorry for Josh. Drummond is doing what he can but is too inexperienced. I wonder now if Monroe wants to be there.

The guard issue is back. Jennings has not shown enough to be the point guard moving forward. He should be a 6th man. This team cannot win with the current guard play. Stuckey's points cannot make up for KCP and for Jennings. That Bynum is playing a lot of minutes is a sign of the weak guard play.

brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  16. Walter

I respectfully disagree. I don't see our players giving full effort for a whole game. Individual players look energized for 3-5 minute stretches at a time, but those seem to be fueled more by in-game sparks of testosterone clashes than an actual desire to win. This team is missing that killer instinct. There is no sense of pride. It's all smiles and hugs even when they're putting on an embarrassing effort in front of their fans, on their home court. Right now our team psyche is the equivalent of 3% Ben Wallace 97% Charlie Villanueva.

linwood likes this.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hey, I generally avoid replying to posts about the game, as I always do my best to encourage people to post, since I just love reading this stuff. So thanks for your post. I will respond to it, not to criticize what you wrote in any way, but to use it as a thought starter.

First, I do not see playing Bynum as a sign of weak guard play, but rather, I see Bynum as a weak guard, who I simply do not see any place in the NBA for. In this game, I thought our guard play was brilliant, while our starting unit was on the floor. You know, the game started with just two points from the perimeter from the Clips while our starters were in. Great. And the ball went inside continuously. Which is exactly what you want your guards to promote. Our starting guards, with the starting unit, really could not do better.

Jennings just had a 17 assist half. Not since Thomas have we seen such a display, and I doubt Thomas did it with no turns. Indeed, Jennings was 18-0 at one point on assist to turn ratio that game. Yeah, thats good. Not the sign of him being a 2nd stringer. In this game, his function was not to shoot the ball, but to continuously make the decision to get the ball inside. Of course, with Singler in at small forward, coach thwarted that option much of the game. Not Jennings fault. That is bad coaching to stop doing what is keeping you in the game.

Also, while on that subject, I will note that coach put in a backcourt of Stuckey and Pope in crunch time. It looked great. And I will say for about the thousandth time, that is the backcourt that should always be featured from our bench. In other words, young Mr. Pope should simply get no rest hardly at all except for foul trouble. In this game, he did have some foul trouble, and well, then you go with Jennings and Stuckey. To be clear, all we need is three guard rotation.

No to trading Stuckey. We could go deep in the playoffs, and indeed win it all, with this very team. We only need to quit playing guys named Singler, Bynum, JJ, Datome, CV. (The only guy on my early watch list that seems to pass muster is Harrellson.)

Yes, again, our starting unit actually did fine. They played winning basketball, while the coach let them play. And what foul trouble we did get into was pretty much totally the result of guys fouling while with silly units that could not do the job.

The effort indeed was there. But with no ability, Bynum and Singler can not help the team regardless of how much they hustle with all they have. All they have does not cut it in the NBA.

I see you are down on Monroe in this one. But, look closely. They had to guard the heck out of him, meaning they could not address Smith with either of their immensely talented bigs. So Smith was having his way. Not a thing needs to change on this team, save either of the coach, the owner, or the GM, whoever is responsible for letting guys like Singler and Bynum, who have no business playing in this league, play.

(To be fair, Datome and JJ have neither one been given a shot at regular playing time at small forward, pretty much 100% due to the obsession the coach has with playing Singler.)

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons got a focused and motivated Clippers team today courtesy of the beating they took Friday night at Indiana.

The Clips can execute their way into plays for their athaletes while the Pistons can't.

That was a pretty entertaining game. There is something about Blake Griffin's pretty boy/OC villain-like attitude that I enjoy.

linwood likes this.
  19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee, thanks for your response above. I do not like playing Bynum, see him more as a third string, spot minutes guy not someone with extensive minutes, and while I think Singler can have a small role, at this stage in his career, he is way overplayed. His offense just is not good enough yet to overcome his size disadvantage on the boards and his tweener role on defense.

But I think teams need to get points from its starting guards. The starting two guard is not a scorer and lately, the point guard, is not a scorer either. Neither is either a penetrator who gets to the line and scatters the defense. Teams can stop the Piston down low in the second half when they need to as the offense is short on options.

Monroe has just not had the impact I would have imagined in his 4th season. He should be a force enough to win some games now and then for the team. Smith has done this--Smith has changed some games.

The main point of the post is that the team cannot go on 5 to 8 games under .500 Wins need to come and if they don't, trades are inevitable. And if trades are coming, it is not hard to see what the Piston assets are.

20. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gores has to be talking to a lot of small birdies.