1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home L.A. Clippers Monday Dec 17 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm with LA Dre, I thought the Pistons played all right tonight.

I didn't mind Bynum tonight when he was out there with Monroe and Drummond. Bymun tried to throw Max an alley-oop. I can tolerate his negatives because he plays with some force.

The Pistons as a whole need to get some guys with the you know whats to throw some long range alley oops to Drummond. I don't know if there is any 4 or 5 in the L who can outrun him up the court and he ends up standing there while someone like Tay flinches like an epileptic at the thought of throwing a pass longer than 2'.

For years the Pistons have equated having no turnovers with being a successful offense. It's got to change. The Clippers looked like The Globetrotters for little 6 pt runs throughout the game. The Pistons 3 Impact Players of the Game had 13, 11 and 11 pts halfway through the 4th.

Blake Griffin was kind of Shawn Kemp-y old school/taunting the crowd at the end. I enjoyed it. He gave the crowd its' moneys worth.

Drummond seems to give Flip the flexibility to play a more diverse set of guys. There isn't another Pistons I'd rather have shooting.

I don't care what position he is playing I like the Brandon Knight that shoots the ball and plays faster. He's going to have a bad handle if he plays fast or slow.

I don't mean this as a shot at Stuckey, but the team is much more enjoyable to me when he is out. (I think he's handled everything well role-wise this year. It might be it forces Flip Frank out of his comfort zone.)

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Come on guys, it's not like we were going to be the ones to stop the Clippers winning streak. I think we surprised them a bit though with our effort and waves of lineups with rusty cast offs.

Chris Paul and Blake Griffin both were contained tonight. They had good games, but nothing crazy until the game was out of reach. Jordan didn't do much either. Crawford, Odom, and Barnes were very damaging. We were down 5-10 points throughout the 4th quarter and unfortunately, LA were the ones trapping. I'd put the vast majority of our turnovers in the "forced" category. I would not have wanted to be Knight or Bynum tonight. Monroe was getting mobbed too as he worked the high post most of the game and possessed the ball almost as much as a PG. He really did make some great passes on occasion (the ones to Dre, Knight, Tay, and Singler were all pretty sweet).

With our crazy lineup (Bynum/Singler/Daye/Villanueva/Drummond), the pressure went away due to the extreme spacing. Unfortunately, it was just a chuck fest... or a Charlie fest I should say. 4 3-point attempts, 1 rebound (that hit the floor first), and 1 assist in 12:00. The good news was that he made 2 of the shots and Drummond had everybody's back on defense.

While Maxiell gave maximum effort and bothered BGriff a bit, he's not even trying to rebound anymore against athletic players. He is just basically tipping every single contested rebound to the perimeter. That's a sign that your PF is too short. I really don't like that our starting front court couldn't even get a combined double double in 65 combined minutes, but it's tough to criticize a center that gives you 6 assists.

Tay was the most effective starter tonight, which is some nice showcasing!

Luckily, I took my Quaalude before the game and experienced no blood pressure increase at any point. Just a slightly better than expected performance against a superior team that could have come back from 30 down if they had to.

brofmfa likes this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pretty cool that Ben Wallace was at this game. Did he move out of Detroit?

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Some observations:

- Joe needs to call Dave Stern & file a protest with the league to have the results of this game over-turned. It is absolutely unfair that the Pistons should have to play against a team that is both skilled AND athletic.
    The Clip's were cheating!

- For a minute there, I thought that Joe had executed a "transfer" for a new player. When Austin Daye checked into the game, I was like "who's that guy?" I honestly forgot that Daye was still on the roster.

- Did Jason Maxiell play last night? ...I don't remember seeing him.

- Singler = mistake free B-ball. He's not where "amazing happens" but he ain't gonna hurt you.

- Once again, I don't care about the loss. We were playing the hottest team in the association. I'm a little miffed at the fact that I had to watch the Bucket do his thing rather than run TRG out there for a few. I'm just a casual internet fan but from the tape that I've seen, TRG looks like he might have been able to break up some of those lobs and force the Clips to take a jumper or two.
    ABC!!! - (Anyone But Charley)

- I'm stoked that Palace fans (notice I didn't say "Pistons" fans) got some excitement from Griff, CP3 and others. I love seeing the home crowd jump outta their seats when the other team is working on their highlight reel that they show during timeouts in their home arena. Gores must be pleased aside from the fact that all of his L.A. friends are razzing him today as he sits down at his usual table at Spago.

- Greg Monroe seems to be passing the rock much better lately. When he was drafted, his ability to drop dimes was the one thing that all of the pundits were talking about. G's a skilled passer fosho and it's fun to watch. He's like a big, slow-footed Ricky Rubio with no vertical leap and a suspect jumper who yells "AND ONE" every time he makes a weak-assed layup.

- Monroe is the Pistons best player. He'd prolly come off the bench as the #4 big man on the Clippers.

- Knight needs to be less "shooters shoot through a slump" and more "PG's find other ways to help their team when their shot isn't falling". In his defense, Tay did throw Brandon under 'the shot-clock bus' a few times. If I was Brandon, I'd stop shooting those desperation heaves and just simply pass it back to Tay as the buzzer sounds.

- Look at the bright side Pistons fans; If the freaking LA Clippers can turn things around and become a top level team, anyone can! We'll be back to losing every year in the ECF's in no time at all!

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Four years ago, during the end of coach table cloths regime, I said we are slowly but surely becoming the LA Clippers of the east...sure enough we are what they were between 2000 and 2008 when I attended every Clipper-Piston games at Staples proudly wearing my Piston gear. We won all but one of those games much to the chagrin of the locals. Now as a fan of both teams, and knowing the Clippers will probably beat our rebuilding Piston team, I have to stay home and watch on the tube, as I can't be the only one their cheering for the Pistons. In the old days, the Piston nation at Staples was loud and vocal and 3 to 4 thousand strong. Now Clipper nation at Staples can drown out any opposing fans except for those cheap Laker fans who show up Clipper home games vs the Lakers because the tickets are cheaper.....

We at Piston nation can get back to where we were and where the Clipps think they are with a little more patience, a couple more skilled/athletic players and Bill Laimbeer coaching...:beer:

brofmfa and linwood like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bill Laimbeer must be terrible in interviews. How is this guy not coaching an NBA team right now? I bet he's just flat out combative when they are trying to give him an offer.

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Austin Daye tries to inbound the ball in the 4th quarter but runs out of time.

linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that I'm officially Austin Daye's biggest fan at the moment and he is my 11th favorite player on the team.

linwood likes this.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I heard that he refuses to wear pants to job interviews.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is true.....and we all know, in today's politically correct culture, that executives seem to over-value pants-wearing people.

brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

At 7 and 20, this team is who it is. I put that in about 3 games back or so. After a time, excuses run out. The Pistons on on line for about the 7th pick again. Oh, sure, the coach doesn't follow the flow of a game but a few more victories out of the hat doesn't change the Pistons skill level.

Maxiel has gotten tired since as we all know, he is undersized. The team starts an undersized power forward. I like Singler but he is inexperienced and so his shot comes and goes.

I am worried about coaching when it comes to player development. Who is working with Monroe and his finishes around the hoop? With his shot? Not enough progress.

The Clipper announcers know: "There isn't anybody on that roster who is a true point guard." Why are we surprised when there is no one to run the team offense.

Whether Stuckey plays or not hasn't made a difference in wins the last three years.

There are guys on this team: Daye, CV, Bynum, Maxiel, Maggette--that most posters on this board wouldn't play. I actually want to see Daye one more time....just in case.

Surprisingly, the team can be competitive at times especially with Drummond's defense. But competitive and winning a lot of games do not coincide with the Pistons. I wouldn' put a lot of salt in that the Pistons stayed with the Clippers. The Clippers, per the LA press, were dog tired from the long trip and gutted out the game.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I need to see 30+ minutes of Drummond paired with Monroe before I lose hope. I honestly feel like we can be very difficult to score against in that scenario.

I'm down with seeing Daye, Middleton, English, Jerebko, whomever. It worked with Singler somewhat. If they stink, let's see it, and then let's get rid of them.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Best unit seen on the floor this year for the Pistons so far: Knight, Singler, Daye, Monroe, Drummond. This is the unit that should start for us.

Bench) Stuckey, English, Middleton, Kravtsov, Macklin. (With Drummond and Monroe paired up for about 40 minutes per game - very limited roles for Kravtsov and Macklin.)

JJ, Tay and JMAX as the other three players dressed.

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm going to predict that we're a 45 win team by 2018..........
    Ten years after Flip left..................

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Y'all have covered the game really well. If we had Stuckey, it might've been different. But, only if Stuckey played exactly the same minutes that Bynum did. When Stuck's available, F subs him in way too early and keeps him there for a long time.

The more I watch Knight, the more I hate his ball-handling. As sloppy as he was with the ball, I am shocked that Bledsoe/Paul didn't combine for 10 steals each. It is terrible, absolutely terrible. We either gotta get rid of the guy or hire Carlos Arroyo to help him with his dribbling.

I agree that Maxiell needs to play spot minutes, but the problem is when he doesn't get a steady dose of minutes, he plays awful. He thrives when given a consistent role. I think all that needs to happen is Andre & Max swapping roles, which is coming I'm sure.

BTW, I paid a lot of attention to Griffin last night; as a side effect really - I was watching Andre defend him and then trying to see how he would ravage CV in the second half. He is such a punk. He is so afraid of being on the wrong side of a highlight reel that whenever someone is coming to the basket for a dunk, he runs out of the way. The guy has the talent to be a monster on the defensive end, but seems to have other things on his mind.

This game hurt our chances of trading Daye.

PS: Very bad officiating on this game. I was watching it with my 7-year old son and he actually ended up cursing at the refs. Being the good boy he is, he first asked for permission and then whispered "these referees are all stinkbutts".

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Walter, good observation - Stuckey would have been overplayed if available. Which he has the last several games now. Too much of Stuckey coming in early, giving us no legitimate outside shooter in the game. Sure, Stuckey does a few good things when he first comes in a game like that, but pretty soon the other team recognizes we have no outside shooters in, and pack it in on us something fierce.

Stuckey and Knight can co-exist, but not with the Pistons we have at the moment. You put these two in the backcourt, and all you have left is maybe putting Singler at small forward with them. We have nobody at all we want to shoot the ball from the outside among our bigs. What coach has tried, putting CV in the game - does not work of course since he can't defend opposing bigs, and thus really can't be called a power forward - except in Frank's imagination.

So what does that leave us - play each of Stuckey and Knight around 28 minutes. 24 just Knight, 24 just Stuckey, and 4 minutes with them together. And not 4 minutes in one stretch. Just a minute, no more, each time they transition. (Each half, it goes Knight, Stuckey, Knight, so thats two transitions per half)

We have actual shooting guards who can play shooting guard, that are in some cases not even dressing. Middleton, English, and Daye of course. (Who I think should be starting for us at small forward. _ say what you will about Daye - but the Pistons have many many times done just fine if Daye is in the game along with other decent players.)

The idea that we need Stuckey at shooting guard, ever, when he can't shoot the ball, is pretty much absurd. And no, while Knight can can an open shot, he is no shooting guard either.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Walter, love your kid's attitude.

Those of you who want to see Daye one more time, I mean this in jest and good humor, but you NEED YOUR HEADS EXAMINED.

Austin Daye makes Charlie Garbage look like Charles Barkley. We'll probably have to give up 2 first round picks, and take back $20 million in garbage salaries to trade Austin Daye. No one in this league is more infatuated with flawed players than Joe Dumars. He's the one who is always willing to take a guy with flaws, hoping he'll get another Ben Wallace. Every other GM is actually trying to get better. For the love of Pete, post D-Ho Orlando is better than us!

Knight is actually a pretty decent SG. We still need a PG.

Walter and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Knight ever will be an above average starting PG but I think he could thrive in a Jason Terry role.

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Awesome. Now all we need is the starting lineup.

20. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

makes me think of the backups we had in 1988-1989............

Buddah, Vinny, Salley, Aguirre, Long.............and of course Fennis Dembo.
    Those guys would all be starters this year.