Home L.A. Clippers Monday Dec 17 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs L.A. Clippers

Monday Dec 17 2012 - 7:30 PM EST

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

TV: FS Detroit

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Clippers are riding 9 game win streak. unfortunately, their second unit is as good as our first unit.. They just blasted the Bucks tonight by 27 and it was no contest. Matt Barnes, Eric Bledsoe, and jamal Crawford have been on a tear..

I would be surprised if the Pistons were able to win this one.
  3. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Pistons will look solid against this bunch.
    Clippers 92 - Pistons 89
  4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Pistons have no perimeter defense, we'll lose this one by double digits...107-91
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Blake Griffin isn't used to covering someone like Charlie G 26' from the basket.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maxiell is going to dominate that clown and will probably get him into enough foul trouble that CV won't even see him.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly.

If Griffin played for the Pistons he'd be playing about 15 minutes a night, well rested and perfectly whelmed (neither over or underwhelmed).
  8. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Chalk up the big L here baby.
  9. roscoe36

I would like to thank Coach Frank for reminding us that Austin Daye has no business being in the NBA.
    Walter and dba like this.
  10. roscoe36

I think Jason Maxiell is Andre Drummond's biggest fan, because he is playing himself out of the starting lineup.
  11. roscoe36

I am not sure who is a worse rebounder, Maxiell or Monroe.

The Clippers are faster and play a lot harder than we do.
  12. roscoe36

I can't help but feel that if we had Stuckey, we would have won this game.

Not a lot you can say about this game. We hung in until the 4th, but we're simply not good enough to compete with good teams. The Clippers are faster, more athletic and defend a lot harder than we do.

As an aside, it is very hard for me to watch Monroe play. He never leaves his feet to rebound, or to defend, and he won't take open jumpers. He plays center the way Daye plays small forward. Very small.
  13. Nemo

7-20..............

I feel bad for those who talked .500 basketball for the season.
  14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Once again I'm reminded of why I hate Matt Barnes. I also really, really hate watching the Pistons get punked on their own floor - which sadly was partly of their own doing. Oh and the refs were horrible.

Greg Monroe has really disappointed me these last few weeks. He's been careless and indecisive with the ball, but what's worse is he just flat out doesn't give a damn on defense. Y'all saw that CP3 pass to Griffin for the dunk, right? You can thank Monroe for that. Guy was strolling back as if he were out for a morning jog (Griffin ran right past him) and arrived like the cops in old Batman movies - late. He did a good job passing the ball but was subpar on the boards, which is supposedly a strength.

Brandon was a little out of control in the first quarter before picking up a quick 2 fouls, and he shot a bit too much for how cold he was, missing a bunch of shots he normally makes. He had 5 assists (5 TOs) and 16 points in 35 plus minutes - the last two TOs at the very end of the game that led to Griffin dunks (1 also partly thanks to Monroe never moving to catch the ball, allowing his man through for the steal). He also shot 10 3s...granted 2 were desperation heaves but man...

Kyle is made most of his shots, but had a lot of trouble keeping up with his man.

Tayshaun's hands is where offensive ball movement goes to die. I believe I've mentioned this before, but it's no less true now. What's even worse is he telegraphs every move - even I could tell when he was looking to pass or shoot (mostly shoot).

Andre was fine. He held his own for the most part, and he was good on the boards (6 rebs in 19 minutes compared to Max's 2 in 25 and Monroe's 7 in 38). His offensive moves need A LOT of work, but we knew this already. Right now the team needs his defense and rebounding, and yet he rarely even plays more than 20 minutes.

Max needs to be coming off the bench. He was awful once again (3rd straight game) and his rebounding lately is Bargnani-like. His lack of height really hurts him on the boards - he usually ends up tapping the ball out to the opposition.

BoT - chucked up shots and played bad defense. Par for the course.

Austin Daye once again showed he sucks. He came in and fouled Butler while attempting a 3, then lost his man repeatedly, giving up wide open 3s.

Bynum - with how much he struggled with the ball I'm shocked he only had 4 Tos...in 15 minutes. Felt like he had 40. It was really not fun watching him try to play point, especially with Knight on the floor with him (tiny backcourt which quickly got exploited, but Frank refused to pull him and kept him in too long - maybe could've used English/Middleton here - if only they were in the building).

Coach Frank is just being stubborn now. We finally get a game with no Maggette but end up watching Daye fumble around like a tumbleweed in 100mph winds. He still refused to play Andre late despite Max obviously struggling defensively and on the boards. It's absolutely maddening.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Some effort by the coach at least. But must deeply fault Dumars for having Bynum as an emergency guard. And Frank as the coach, who would play him any more than 3 minutes a half if he did not absolutely have to. What a fine unit we had in there to end the 3rd quarter: Knight, Singler, Daye, Monroe, Drummond. Then in comes Bynum. Disaster.

And Daye gets yanked out for not calling a timeout, even though the real problem was a non-call by the official. Later, Tay makes the same error, with, I am sure, not a darn thing said. And no excuse there, just a bad play by Tay.

Monroe and Drummond played some together, but not enough. Drummond is trying to force things a bit, and the coach is encouraging it to some extent. Look, the guy has to learn by doing, and making mistakes. We all know Monroe is still learning from all his mistakes. I am talking about his decisions on whether to try and score or to dish it out to the perimeter.

Monroe did lots right. JMAX - been a long time since jumpers went in from him with any regularity. Can't say he was not needed to guard Blake some in this one.

CV, totally, and completely useless. Unfortunately for us Pistons fans, we have a clueless coach who only sees that CV hit a couple of threes, and is apparently blind to the fact there is no D with CV in the game. Yes, some heroics here and there to make it work on a play - but for the most part CV is a zero on defense. Others have to help him on the inside, ruining our perimeter D. Just totally blind, and needs to get fired. Of course, remember what I said, if Dumars told him to tank games, fire him too, unless the owner told Joe to tank the season, then lets get an owner who wants to see wins again at the Palace.

PS, doubt that foul called on Daye on the three try was really a foul. And the goal tending on Drummond - that ball was not only going up - it was going up fast still. The refs just still can't believe anyone can get up that high that fast. Without the bad calls, the Pistons would be heading into the 4th with lead over this very hot team.
  16. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

One thing I always agree with you on is winning. Never worth losing for draft pick etc. Never. Can't have that culture in the organization ever.
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I am sure everyone knows my stance on the state of the team. I would have liked to see dre get a 2 minute breather to start the 4th and go right back in to finish but instead coach did the opposite and we know the outcome. apparenly Andre will turn into a pumpkin if he is played more than 20 minutes. I also love the fact that stuck was injured and english and middleton were unavailable so we got a daye sighting and bynum. I am sure everyone is tired of hearing it and we all know it but I would like to see Max getting minutes only in spot minutes, I would also like to see CV used only when everyone else is affraid to shoot the ball. In all honesty I would like to tell you all my xmas wish for santa, I would like more than anything to have Joe D pull off the greatest trade ever by sending Tay and cv and max to portland for aldridge, and a water bottle. Hell at this point I would gladly give Monroe and tay and cv for aldridge and they can keep the water bottle.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I rarely ever complain about officiating, but it was not very good tonight. The Pistons came out flat in the 3rd quarter with BK7 turning it for a layup over just a couple of seconds into the half. The team went down a quick ten and was playing catch-up the rest of the game.

I also agree that a backup PG would be nice to have. I like having a couple of veterans on the team to mentor our young fellows, as long as it is the right guys. A Tayshaun for Billups trade right now would have a positive effect for the Pistons at this stage of their careers.
  19. Nemo

The Pistons remind me of Canada.........

Canada shoulda been the greatest country in the world.

American Technology, French cuisine, and British Culture..............

Instead........they have American culture, French technology, and British cuisine............
    del, Walter, BallDon'tLie and 4 others like this.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Despite the outcome, the Pistons played pretty good D on the Clippers who had been averaging over 105 ppg during their 9 game win streak. Every time, that it appeared that the Clippers were ready to run away it, the Pistons would fight back and me watching the LA feed, I could hear the concern in the LA announcers as well as the confidence that the Clipps would extend their win streak.

The normally potent Clipper bench struggled against Bynum, BoT Sigler and Dre during the second qtr and let an 8 pt lead shrink to 2. The Clippers went ahead 63-53 with a little less than 4 mins left in the 3rd, but once again, the Pistons buckled down and held the Clips scoreless and the closed it on a 7-0 run.

The Pistons could not execute in the 4th when needed, especially with Bynum running the show and Clipper defense stepped it up with a few steals and dunks and it was over when Little Larry decided to bring in his designated closer JMax with about 9 minutes left in the game and we never saw Dre again.

The meaningless stat of the night....Clippers scored 21 pts each in qtr #1,2, and 3, and the Pistons scored 20 pts in each of the first three qts.....unfortunately when it counted, the Clippers put up 25 and the Pistons 16 in the deciding qtr.
    brofmfa and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.