Kyle Singler starting??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 24, 2011.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Let's think about this seriously for a moment..

Tayshaun Prince is more than likely going to be gone next season; and Austin Daye is more than likely going to take over his starting position. But will it last??

There's the Austin Daye of Joe-D's fantasy land. The one that's the poor man's Kevin Durant. The one that can hit the outside shot over anyone. The one that can put the ball on the floor and take it to the hole, or pull up for a mid-range jumper. The one that has the length to be an effective Tayshaun-like defender.

Then there's the real Austin Daye. The one that can't guard a single three in the NBA. The one that's one of the weakest and laziest players in the entire the league. The one that's incredibly inconsistent shooting the ball from anywhere on the court.

In the first quarter of the 2011/2012 season, Austin Daye is either going to sink or swim. He's going to be playing starter's minutes. Joe-D's fantasy vision of him is going to be put to the test. He's gonna have to start making shots...he's gonna have to start being more aggressive taking the ball to the hole...and he's gonna have to start giving an effort defensively.

I don't think any of that happens. I think he proves himself to be nothing more than a Charlie V clone off the bench.

Enter Kyle Singler.

He's the exact opposite of Austin Daye in so many ways. He gives 100% on both ends of the court at all times. He's a solid defender, in spite of his athletic limitations (which aren't as bad as Daye's mind you). He puts the pressure on the ball. He sticks with his man off it. He forces turnovers. He gets to loose balls. He boxes out like crazy. He gets boards. He makes smart decisions with the ball. He's a great role player. He knocks down outside shots.

If Jerebko can become a starter, why not Singler?

C: G. Monroe, B. Wallace, V. Macklin
    PF: J. Jerebko, C. Villanueva, J. Maxiel
    SF: K. Singler, A. Daye
    SG: R. Stuckey, B. Gordon, R. Hamilton
    PG: B. Knight, W. Bynum, T. White

...I like that lineup. It's actually kind of solid all-around defensively. Especially if Stuckey gives an actual effort. 5 offensive guys that can't play D coming off the bench (Charlie, Daye, BenG, Bynum, Rip). Ben and Max probably round out the roster.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If that were our lineup, I'm almost certain that we'd have the worst FG% allowed again. Any combination of our players might also produce that result though.
  3. blueadams

well...I'm guessing that Monroe, Jerebko, Rodney and Knight are all pretty much guaranteed starters. The only position really in question is the 3. And Singler is much, much better defensively than Daye.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Blue, have you watched Singler play? His lateral movement is his biggest weakness. It might actually prevent him from having a career in the NBA. He is a LONG way from being Daye's equal at this stage.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Check out the bench - Bynum, Gordon, Daye, Chaz, Wallace! That may be one of the sorriest defensive lineups in NBA history if Wallace continues to decline. Singler might very well work out better than Daye as a starter but I like the balance of having Singler with the bench and Daye with the starters better.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

Daye played very well when given significant minutes. I think this kid is on the verge of breaking out into a legit 20 PPG scorer in this league, a nice facilitator (he's a very good passer), a willing rebounder at SF or SG, and a disruptive player on D because of his length. He's young and will have growing pains - made worse because the rest of this team will be very young and will go through individual and teamplay growing pains around him - but I'm not expecting this team to contend next season anyway.

I think we'd be nuts not to play Daye, JJ and Stuckey major minutes, and let this core with Monroe and Knight, develop together.
  7. blueadams

Like I said, I'm sure that's how we'll start off the season. But IMO, Daye is one of the softest/laziest players in the league, he's horrible defensively, and his shot isn't half as good as advertised. At some point I'm thinking that we'll come to the conclusion that we're better as a team with Singler's defense.
  8. blueadams

I'm all for whatever puts the best 5 guys on the court the most often.
  9. blueadams

Daye is one of the slowest players in the league. He was, in fact, THE slowest player in his draft class at the combine.
  10. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Because we aren't as weak at Jerebko's "position" as we are at Singler's?
  11. Mogilny

This is how we will start and play until injuries put a stop to it:

Stuckey - Rip - Vinsanity/T-Mac - Max - Wallace
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Small ball returns!
    Rip Hamilton @ SF. :doh:
  13. blueadams

i respectfully disagree...daye is just as bad at sf as charlie is at pf
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

To me, both Daye and Singler feel like back-up SFs. Daye is an athletic shooter without the necessary work ethic, and Singler is a hard-working shooter without the necessary athletic skills. Assuming Taye is traded, they could still use a starting-caliber SF.
  15. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Maybe, but I don't see the downside of going into next season with Daye as the starter. As much as Gores and Joe D want to try to sell the win now Kool-Aid, this team isn't even remotely close to ready for that. Austin Daye has been playing behind a veteran for 2 years. He's going into what typically is the most important and telling season for a prospect to make that jump into a starter/star/whatever. We have to let him play or get rid of him.

Give him a couple months as the starting SF and see what he can do. It can't hurt. Singler isn't a better option at this point, not but a long shot. The frontcourt has more pressing issues than denying Daye a chance, like giving this team more than 1 legitimate big man.
  16. blueadams

couldn't agree more. gotta give him a shot (even though i think he'll fail).
  17. Mogilny

Here is how it will turn out. Knight will probably struggle the first season with alot of TO like rookie pg:s always do and have all kind of problems when he's learning the position. Unless something unexpected happens I'd put this team in pretty deep lottery.

Knight, Bynum (White)
    Stuckey, Gordon
    Daye, Singler
    Jerebko, Charlie, Max
    Monroe, Wallace, Macklin

The following season JMax is an expiring and Wallace is gone. Bynum is also an expiring so get rid of that guy if White outperformed him. Add a stud SF or PF from the stacked draft, add a stud SF or PF from FA, add a defensive C from FA.

Knight, Bynum/White
    Stuckey, Gordon
    Stud, Daye, Singler
    Stud, Jerebko, Charlie
    Monroe, Defender, 2nd/Macklin

Knights second season will surely be alot better, having a full season of PG under the belt and having added a few pounds. The other young guys has kept improving. The studs are studs. Gordon returns to form. Viola, there is your 50 win team!
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Nothing pumps me up more than seeing Joe's 2 marquee FA signings bringing up the rear of every potential depth chart someone comes up with.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Depends on who is getting paid to be delusional. Now, for us fans, it's all free: just another hog on ice.

But if you get paid, then there can only be one and they do not play on the lowest pond level, but on the mountain tops. Many times they have the biggest delusions. The sole owner of the latter is JD, and forget his personalized puppets on dancing strings.

This brings one question up for me. Some of the interviews (post celebration) are stylistic story acts. Just your typical jocular introductions and obsequious justifications for all that took place. What event, or series of events, over what length of time, will the main puppet (Gores) understand and begin the process that all puppet shows must create: some form of magic transformation?
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Joe resigns Stuckey + Jerebko and doesn't trade any of the bad contracts, then here is how I see our new coach starting the season.

Stuckey/ Knight/ Bynum
    Hamilton/ Gordon/ White
    Daye/ Singler
    Jerebko/ Villanueva/ Maxiell
    Monroe/ Wallace/ Macklin

1) Knight won't be ready and they won't want to give him the starting PG spot on day one. Take the pressure off him and let him feel his way off the bench until he adjusts.
    2) Rip will start to add stability and a little more D than BG or White can give.
    3) Daye will surely start at the SF position. He's ready. Singler may challenge him after the all-star break, but it's not clear how his game will transfer.
    4) This one is more of a toss-up b/c of Jerebko's injury. Hopefully he gets the nod, but I could also see Villanueva being tossed out there until Jerebko gets into game shape.
    5) This one is a no-brainer. Monroe starts and Ben relieves him.

Singler is lucky to be coming to a team with such a weakness at his natural position. He's older than most draft picks and played at a major league program, so if his game translates, it is very conceivable that he could win the position later in the year. As it should be, it probably depends on the merits of his play.