Kings @ Pistons... December 14th

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by mercury, Oct 3, 2005.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

What's up with that?

Didn't get to see the game but what's up with Carlos Arroyo with no numbers and Evans with 0-7 shooting. Was either of them a factor in any way in the game?

I like them both, or at least Carlos, anyway. But nothing from either of them?

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Bench blah blah blah
    Darko blah blah blah

Ben was a monster (with gogs) and Billups ...OMG...I wish I had cable...and League pass...

We went over the flaws of this team last game. We can get back to it next time.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I was listening to the game on the radio, and when Chauncey had 14 or 15 assists, I decided to go down to the corner bar to see the rest of the game.

I can tell you that assists 14 through 19 were completely effortless. It seemed like no matter what the defender did, Rip would get open, and chauncey would just make the perfect, flashy, effortless pass. The whole time he has a giant grin on his face.

I have nothing against Carlos Arroyo, but with Chauncey at 19 assists, Flip put Arroyo back in the game. The sportsfans went crazy. I guarantee you if Chauncey had played one more minute, He would have had 20 assists!

Anyway, it was a great show.
    :pop2:

4. Slippy

he should have left him in. Its like giving a guy the opportunity to do something special.

20/20 has such a nice ring to it.

what would be rad is if someone did a short video of the 19 assists from that game. :eyebrows:

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is much more "Pistons" to leave the game with 19 than to stay in garbage time to get 20.

This way, nobody discounts it. Nothing worse than forcing stats.

It's Barry Sanders style.

6. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Agreed, TaShawn

Part of me also wanted the 20 assists, but it's a slippery slope. We've always talked about how stats don't matter.

Before long, you start missing shots at the other team's basket so that you can rack up a triple-double.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Yeah, I would hate to see the Pistons become stat-whores... However, it's not like Chauncey was tryin to pad his stats. The Kings just could not stop
    Batman and Robin out there. Another 30 seconds. One more possession...

8. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Billups

To add to that, we also have the injury factor to consider. It would've been devastating to see Chauncey go down to a serious injury in meaningless garbage time just trying to tally one more feed.

It definitely was a good idea to get him off the floor, no matter how good it would've looked having that big 20 number in the assist column.

9. Slippy

I agree with Zoso about the injury. But at the same time, I think its unfair to put our visions of Piston ism on the players. I know they're team players committed to a championship but they're players too and it might mean something to them to do something special once in a while. The includes playing in an all star game or getting selected to the olympic team.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Or scoring 28 while dropping 20 dimes in one game!

11. Zoso

Individual stats are nice, but we've got the big picture to look at here.

Let's say, Billups stays in, gets the 20th feed, then 10 seconds later, before Flip has a chance to get him out, he blows his knee out and he's done for the year. Just like that our hopes to regain the title are gone. And for what? A meaningless assist, that in hindsight is worth nothing more than some bragging rights. Then of course, everyone and their mother will be on here screaming on just why he was allowed to be left in the game to get a meaningless stat.

You know it and I know it.

If it were me playing professional ball, I wouldn't care less about being in an All-Star game. I'd rather have that time off to rest.

Unless of course, I played for Atlanta or Charlotte. Then that would be a different story altogether. :)

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think if you listened to Flip's interview after the game you would realize Chauncey was trying to pad his stats, at least right at the end. He knew he was coming out so those last two assists were off of very quick shots by Rip. When Flip was asked if he was aware that Chauncey was having a career night for assists, he said..."not until Chauncey told me.."

It's not like a Ricky Davis-trying-to-get-a-triple-double-miss-on-purpose type of thing but Chauncey was trying to rack up more assists.

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Lesson: Don't tell the coach you are padding your stats.

Zoso, I hear ya. And if Chauncey would have been hurt all hell would break lose. But, He could have been hurt at assist number 15. or assist number 12... Not really an arguement from me. I see your point. But I also see the point of personal accolades for a seriously good team player.

14. Zoso

There's no doubt about it. And that's exactly why, once he found out he was nearing that 20 mark, he started calling Hamilton's number.

This from A.S. Blakely's piece today;

All in all, he was just doing what everyone else would've done, being in the same position. :nod:

15. Zoso

linwood

But, I'm sure if he would've gotten hurt getting assists numbers 12 or 15, it wouldn't have been in a situation where he was left in the game during garbage time trying to do so.

I'm just a firm believer, especially on a championship contending team like this one, that once the game is in hand, get your horses off the floor. It's just not worth the risk having your best player on the floor when the outcome is already determined.

I have no problem with racking up personal stats. It's all part of having fun. But, just as long as it comes within the flow of the game and not in a situation where someone has no business being on the floor.

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Let's not make too much of it. It's still a game, guys, still play. Jump up and touch the highest mark, out-do your buddies for bragging rights, push the limit and see what you can do just for the hell of it. Let them have fun once in a while. Unlikely Chauncey will let it go to his head when he's got an MVP trophy and world championship belt in his den.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Of more importance is that we have developed an unstoppable gaurd combo under Flip's system... no matter what the defense does they can't work thru that extra pick to slow down Rip (as long as he remembers to pass off a switch)... no matter how tight they play Chauncey they can't deal with his versatility of spotting up or taking it inside.
    Flip's next task will be to achieve similar consistency from Sheed and Tayshaun... with Rip & C.B. already hitting their stride it's time to give more looks to the 3rd and 4th options... if they become near automatic, then it's lights out... Both players can post up 90+ % of their opponents.... Tay's posting should be more of a cutting across the lane and timing the inlet pass inside (vs power posting).
    Sheed needs a lot of practice with perfecting his inside moves.

I don't know if Ben's frustration is contract related (numbers dropping)... but there really should be several more ways to get him into the offensive flow... there isn't a big out there that could stay with Ben cutting off a pick for an uncontested slam.... maybe a couple more lobs here and there etc.

18. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Merc

It's getting kind of like days of old.

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

But we still need our Vinnie-like player.

Seriously, that's what we really need. When the bad boys hit a funk, you always could count on 007. Today, if Billups or one of the other 5 don't get it done, we are pretty much history.

Remember what Arroyo did for us in that game against Indy? That's what we need from someone off the bench. Hell, Dice almost pulled us through against San Antonio. Horry DID do it for San Antonio.

We can keep our starters. We aren't getting KG without mortgaging the farm anyhow.

We need one guy off the bench who can light it up. Lindsey can spark the D. We need someone who will be our new Microwave. If he is already on the team, Flip needs to play him. If not, please make a trade, Joe.

20. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yep. Maybe Delfino will begin to deliver the goods Joe D advertized.