KGREG's OFFICIAL bring Melo (and LaLa) to the Pistons thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jul 18, 2013.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    She's a fine, fine lady
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You think Chauc-the-magnificent could reel in Melo ?
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yes. And for the life of me I can't understand why people are do down on this guy. Keep in mind that Paul Pierce hadn't won anything until he got help. LeBron never won anything until he got help. Kevin Durant, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Paul George.......ZERO titles! Melo is a stud and THIS roster is almost perfect (assuming BK and KCP can put it all together) and all we're missing is a Melo'esque type if scorer on the wing.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In order to get Melo we need a few things to happen
    1. Extend Monroe to the tune of 5yrs/$55-$60M
    2. Get JJ off the books (getting rid of Singler would help too).

If those 2 things happen......then Gores needs to send the tampering check in advance.
    Remember.......you heard it here first!
    linwood likes this.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with you. Melo made the playoffs in a stacked WC after joining a putrid Nuggets team his rookie year. (James did not.) He's dominated internationally with the National team. Champ at Syracuse. Beat LBJ in high school.

I guess because he's a "scorer" he can't escape the stereotypes. He's a beast.
  6. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Look, I'm not all down on Melo. He can light it up when he wants. In terms of pure talent, he is right up there. But he is also fickle, doesn't try to/can't play defense and is really really streaky in the scheme of things. Is he still efficient? Yeah. But he doesn't pass and is an average rebounder. It is more a question of fit than anything else. I agree that we can cover his defensive deficiencies to an extent, but what happens when we come up against Durant, or other high volume, high efficiency scorers at the 3 in the playoffs? He can't stop them - and coaches will draw up plays specifically to exploit his defensive deficiences.

NYK are pretty stacked. JR Smith was 6th man of the year. Chandler is one of the best defensive centres in the game. Amare can still pulverise defenses for 20 minutes a game.

When he plays bad, its putrid. When good, unstoppable. You tell me a way to get him on form all the time, and Ill be down.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Please refrain from using the words "Melo" and "team" in the same sentence.
    It's confusing.
    The Panda, Walter and hitafreethrow like this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

When the were healthy at the start of the year they were good and Melo was an MVP candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using the keyboard.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

KGREG, my friend, you are in LaLa land.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Didn't Chaunc and Melo lose in the ConFinal against the eventual Obrian Trop. winner. That was pretty close.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yes he did!

He's not a matador on defense, he competes. I think you're too focused on his Denver days when NOBODY there played defense and the coach was just playing run and gun basketball.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Look this dude averages 25ppg in his sleep while shooting 45% from the floor! What's the name of the perimeter player currently on the roster who shoots 45% from the floor..........oh, that's right.....WE DON'T HAVE ONE! He shoots a much better FG% than Luol Deng AND Paul George! Melo is 29, he will be 30 next summer, he will be going into a closing window where he HAS to win a title in his next contract, no time for that, "I want to play in a big market" nonsense, he's going to be hungry and desperate. The composition of our team will in fact give him the best shot at a title........IF BK7 and KCP show promise this year. And we also won't have to leverage our future to get him but he will have to take a $2.5M pay-cut.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

A cheap (but insanely hot) substitute. In the words of Tami and Marvin, "Ain't nothin like the real thang baby"

[​IMG]
  14. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying he is Charlie Villenueva. But he isn't a good defender by any means. He never fights through picks, his help is usually late and he lets people shoot 3's. Thats not a good leader for a young team.

45% from the floor isn't worth a max contract. Especially when that is all that he is known for. He is terrible on the wings. Sure, if you want to bring him on as a full time power forward and let Smith and Drummond cover up all his poor defense, then I'd be ok with that. Rudy Gay also shoots 45% from the floor and I don't want him either.

But no. He is going to throw 15-22 foot jumpers all day. He is only slightly more efficient than Josh Smith from that range. WE DON"T NEED THAT. His free throw rate is in free fall

Melo won't lead a team to a title. Period. Melo won't lead this current team to a title. Period.

Melo is an above average player who has constantly been ticketed as Lebron's foil even though the talent disparity on both ends of the floor is viciously obvious.

Paul George and Luol Deng are both known as defenders over offense. But they manage to contribute on both ends of the floor.

And besides all of that, he is not coming to Detroit.
    linwood likes this.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Knight Pope James Smith Drum

I'd take that team over KGREGS. The D would be outstanding and they would be a lock for the playoffs with Monroe coming off the bench. Knight could focus on 3 and D with James running the show.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So does Greg Monroe and Stickey.
    It is when you lead the league in scoring
    What else does an offensively inept team need?
    OK, now you're just being spiteful
    That's why they're here!
    If we don't get Melo.....it'll be Gay. Remember, You heard it HERE first!

The entire league sans Kevin Durant sucks from that range
    If Josh could avg 25+ppg we wouldn't have to have this conversation
    Like hell we don't!
    He still shoots 80% (which would rank him above our entire team, sans Chauncey) and he has the Clutch Gene
    I'm going to throw this in your face when he leads us to a title in 2015 and/or 2016
    Wait? Huh? What? Above Average? Then who's average? Paul Pierce?
    Lebron is a freak of nature constructed in a laboratory.......with Yao Ming
    They're good players, REALLY-REALLY good players......just not Melo, and they're not married to Lala!
    HUSH!!! Cease with the negative thoughts! In the words of the great and immortal Kendrick Lamar, "Don't kill my vibe". Nothing anybody says will make me believe Carmelo won't be a Piston next season and lead us to a championship!!! And all the hoopla will go to his head, he'll then neglect his wife because he's too caught up in the post championship fame..........and that's when I step in!:sneaky:
    Mossberg, The Panda and linwood like this.
  17. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hanging on my screen instead of wall.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The word of the day: sans
    KGREG likes this.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

We brought in Orlando Woolridge for scoring back in the 90s. Why doesn't the same theory apply today?
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This thread is going to get me fired. Need to remember not to check it at work.
    KGREG likes this.