Kevin Love unsure about Timberwolves' future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'd love to see Joe make a run at Kevin Love.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm afraid that Larry Franks would play him 30+ minutes a game no matter what, and The Russian Guy wouldn't get any playing time.

No thanks.

Have a nice day.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am ready to give up Tay, Max, CV and Stuckey for Klove now if their GM is crazy enough to do it....

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

We need a big shake up. As much as I like Monroe I would consider dealing him to get Kevin Love. Adding Love adds more scoring power, a better rebounder, and a long distance shooting threat. There are not many good Power Fowards in the East so he would dominate.

jzchen, BallDon'tLie, LA Dre and 2 others like this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Kevin Love is one of the most dominant big men in the league right now. I would probably take him over everybody not named Dwight.

We would have to give up the good half of our team to even get a sniff of him after practice.

Plus he is a total banger on rebounding. Him and Dre would gobble up all the boards.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm pretty sure there is no way the Pistons are picking up Kevin Love. There is the salary issue, the contender issue, the coach's "agenda against winning" issue...

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The we-think-we-can-get-everyone Lakers are already plotting a way to get Love, King James and next door neighbors Paul and Griffin over the next 2-5 years, so no we don't have a chance at Love unless we get to the playoffs next year and MAKE SOME NOISE!!

9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Salary-wise, Maggette & Monroe for Love works out. I would even throw in this year's 1st rounder to go with it. They won't do ANY deal that doesn't involve Moose.

Love/Drummond would be one hell of a frontcourt.

linwood likes this.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would take that deal. Monroe has to go back to his double double ways to make it happen.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Now we're talking..........

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

problem is....... he would only be exchanging a Kahn job for very little Frankness...........

13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Love and Singler are bros.
    They came-up together out in Oregon.

Holy CRAP I'd like to see me some K-Love in Pistons gear.

It might have to look something like this:
    NBA Trade Machine - ESPN

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The question is as much or more about keeping him as getting him. It's just as easy to be unsure of the Pistons' future as the future of the Wolves.

15. BallDon'tLie

I think Joe could convince him by parking the 2004 Larry O'Brien in the midde of the conference room table when they sit down to meet.
    Sure, we don't look like champs right now.
    ...We didn't in 2003 either!

In a couple years, this team WILL look a lot different.

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like Love's "uncertainty" is more due to the lack of, ahem, love from the front office there.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His shooting is really off this year so far. .200 from deep and a full .100 drop in his TS%.

He's attempting 23 shot attempts per 36 minutes if you count the ones that he is also fouled on with a .468 TS%.

Kobe attempts 24 for comparison.

Will Bynum and Jonas Jerebko are the only 2 players on the Pistons with lower TS% than Love this year.

Also, he steals rebounds in order to secure double doubles (a very smart strategy to maximize his personal gain).

His defense is suspect.

Because of his high gross figures in the stat column, I predict that he will be signed for an amount that will exceed his true value. Of course I would like to have him on the team, but only for a fair price which I'm doubtful would happen.

18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum and JJ for Love. Throw in Maggette and Rubio to make the salaries match.

19. BallDon'tLie

I'd say that Kevin Love for essentially the same money that Ben Gordon was making for the next three years is a pretty good contract.

His shooting is off so far this year but he just came back (early) from an injury so I'm cutting him some slack in that area.

How in the heck do you steal a rebound?
    Isn't the the entire principle of rebounding to steal rebounds?

If Andre Drummond pans out the way that I think he's gonna pan out, Kevin Love (or maybe LMA) might be the best complimentary big man in the league to march out there next to him.

...Look, I fully realize that this ain't gonna happen, ...but wow!
    I don't see how this would be a bad deal in any way shape or form. Joe needs to send David Kahn a very simple email:

Dear Dave,

How's the wife? ...Kids good? ...cool man.
    I read you and Kevin having it out in the newpapers and I'd like to help you out.

Send us K-Love and the worst remaining contract on your books and we'll send you ANY combination of the following guys:

Brandon Knight
    Rod Stuckey
    Tayshun Prince
    Jason Maxiell
    Greg Monroe
    Charlie Villanueva
    Jonas Jerebko
    Austin Daye
    Teen Wolf
    Corey Maggette

Love,
    - Joe

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There are ways to steal stats in bball. One a fast break you'll often see guys that should pass it go ahead and score themselves with a slightly lower percentage opportunity. Or the opposite- you'll sometimes see guards elect to make a pass on a fast break to "reward" their big man for running the floor when the guard should just convert and finish himself. Assists are part of what guards are measured on and they know that.

On rebounds, it is helpful to look at team rebounding with a player on the court vs off the court to see what is really going on. Stealing a rebound from a teammate happens all the time- usually accidently since you don't know who you're ripping it away from, but also sometimes purposefully. As in my previous example, you'll see a guard layoff a rebound, let the big have it, then it gets handed right back to them. There is also the boxing out/ sealing component to rebounding that some selfless players do better than others. It helps team rebounding but can lower individual rebounding.

Ways to detect rebound stealing:
    Say Love rebounds at a rate of 15 per 36 min. They add a player to the mix who throughout his career has rebounded at a rate of 13 per 36 min and is replacing a weaker rebounder in the lineup. You'd expect that both of their rates would suffer as they share the available rebounds. But say that after the merger Love continues at his 15 reb rate and the other player's rebs fall to 10 per 36 minutes. It probably means that Love is snagging rebounds that the other player would/ could have got if he didn't lay off. And laying off is an important part of making sure that your team successfully gets possession of the ball in many cases.

You can also look at the performance of the team in rebounding with that player on and off the court. For instance, since Love is one of the highest rebounders in the league, you'd expect the Wolves to dominate with him on the floor. However, in 2012, they rebounded at a rate of 48.2% with him and 53.2% without him. That would make some sense if he were stealing reabounds that his teammates would have otherwise had. It has been the same every year of his career now, so it's quite a pattern. 47.7% with him on the court and 51.9% with him on the bench.

Also, almost every player that plays with him rebounds at a lower rate when they are on the court with him than when they are on the court without him. That means that they are subordinating to him on rebounds.

I'm not as much concerned that Love is a bad guy and pumps up his stats, but more concerned that we'd be paying him like a 15 reb/ game guy when he is really a 12 reb/ game guy who usually picks up 3 extra rebounds- wereas we could get another 12 reb/game guy who lets his teammates keep those marginal 3 already secured rebs.

Not sure if that is clear enough, but in general, it's about reality checking individual stats to make sure that they will add as much value to our team as we think they will.

Kobe is the perfect example on the scoring front. It might be possible that the more he scores, the more he hurts the team because he isn't doing it efficiently.