Keeper League?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by max, Jul 1, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

Any more thoughts on this?

Mainly a topic in the Adv league last year but it can be open to anyone willing to make a commitment.

Thing is we are going to play every year anyway. I am still not 100% sold on it but its worth seeing who else is interested.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:winner_first_h4h:The defending Advance League Champ is interested:whoo:
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I look forward to the opportunity to come in last place under a new format.

I would love to play in a keeper league.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I know I said I wasn't going to play basketball or football this year, but I've been thinking of playing basketball.

One thing Max...please ONLY let in people we know won't quit.

Guys who've played with US before (any sport IS fine) and guys who have proven they will stick with it.

I don't think acceptance in this league should be automatic.

The large league size didn't bug me although I know some people didn't like it.

Yeah, if you do keeper, I'm interested. I've been wanting to try one.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i've found the baseball real fun, and sadly i am a glutton for losing so a keeper league would be interesting and i won't run like i probably should.... though advanced league may be a bit more then i should chew off....
  6. max

max All-Star

Strong list so far.

Tater - I don't plan on running it myself. It was something I think Webz brought up actually. Kind of counting on someone else stepping up and if not then we can vote via a secret poll or something. Vote in or draft someone however you want to look at it.

I would like to hope that everyone would stick to it, however it would be nice to have the capability to absorb in a team if something comes up where someone can't go on. At least at the start of a new season anyway.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would be interested. Darth would have to battle for second place....
  8. Darth Tater

I would like to point out that in one hour quite a few people signed up, but as soon as Bill joined nobody else joined. That was three hours ago.

Anyone see a pattern here?

We know it's not your skill level that is scaring people. Have you checked your deodorant recently?
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound::MusicBigGrin::):laugh::laugh::lol:
  10. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah sure I could probably organise it. While we are on the topic of new things, I was actually thinking about the possibility of doing an auction draft as well for the 1st year. That way, nobody gets penalised for random snake order drafting and you can get the player you covet (at a price of course). This method is a bit more time consuming, but would be pretty cool. However, I think 12 people is the max on the league. And agree with Taterz on only having strong characters on board. Or just guys with too much time on their hands. :)
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Round, we'll have a JV league this year. Every season, we have run at least 2 if not 3 basketball leagues.
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm definitely interested in a keeper league.
  13. Darth Tater

Cool, go find one somewhere else. :gun1:
  14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Count me in for the Keeper League. I agree with everyones thoughts that it should be only a select few allowed to enter and perhaps no more than 12 teams. I think it will be alot of fun and you really will test your skills as a GM. What players do you franchise? Who do you waive? Do you stick with the promising young guy or dump him for a developed talent? If you have a aging superstar that has a bad year do you trade him for younger talent?
  15. BillLaimbeer

If more than 12 people show interest in the Keeper League, we should vote off the extra people (ala Survivor). My vote is for Darth to get eliminated.
  16. max

max All-Star

Webz is the new commish.

What is this auction? How does that work?

My thoughts.

1) I like 12 teams. I can go with 14 but 16 was brutal.

2) I would say if there is more demand than spots then we can go by seniority in the PF leagues. For example someone with 3 years of experience would be given preference over someone with 2 years.

Should we give preference to the advanced league 1st? Off hand I would say no and treat all experience the same as the goal is to weight it to those that we have more confidence in to stick with it. But whatever you guys want to do.

We will see. Sounding more good all the time. I am definetly in.
  17. Darth Tater

Yeah, 12 teams seems best, but I'm ok with 14 too. Up to the Commish.

I'm not worried about how many years experience or which league people were in as long as they are dependable. I know of a couple people who weren't in advanced last year, but I know from being with them in other leagues or knowing of their dedication and effort that they will be assets.
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i might be coaxed into doing it. i know i haven't been doing much with my baseball team this year, but i'm always on top of things when it comes to fantasy hoops.
  19. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can do it if everyone wants. I'll do some more research on what it takes as far as keeper is concerned. As for Auction drafting, its basically where you scrap the random snake order and everyone gets a pool of money, say $200. Then one by one, every player gets named and all teams get the opportunity to bid for his services, like a real auction.

ie. LeBron is announced and is bid for til the highest person is left standing. He could possibly go for something like $80, depending on how much team X or Y wants him. That way if there is a player you really, really want, you can have him. No more will you be left suffering with the 11th pick wondering what it would be like to have LeBron on your fantasy team. No more will luck dictate who you get to draft. The price is most definitely right!

And vice versa, you could let all the big names get gobbled up by the greedy teams, then you can stock your team with a balanced squad of 2nd and 3rd tier guys while all the others are struggling for funds. Thus strategy is - do you take 2 or 3 really good players and fill out the rest of your squad with scrubs and miscreants, or do you take the balanced approach, but lacking that 1 true stud who can carry you.

Throw in the keeper league strategy as well and you've got yourself a good head-scratching as to how to draft.

If nobody is keen for auction, fair enough, just throwing it out there. If I'm commish I'll do a poll thingy for what everyone likes and decide from there. Everyone's voice should be heard. But bear in mind, these things take longer than past leagues, so we'd be drafting earlier in the year - start getting prepared in September!

Only problem I can see with Auctions is everyone has to be available at the same time or it won't work. That means EVERY single person. Might be hard to do. Would have to open chat or something.
  20. BillLaimbeer

I'm afraid if we did an auction, I would spend my entire $200 on Trent Plaisted....