Kareem back with the Lakeshow

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 4, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. G-man

G-man Starter

Weird that this guy isn't already a Head Coach somewhere. He's been on and off different staff positions for a number of years, really since he retired. There was an article about his wanting a coaching position a year or so ago, (I think when we were playing LA in the Finals) and not getting any phone calls.

A lot of his contemporaries are now in management roles across the league. Makes you wonder why someone elsewhere hasn't seized on the opportunity to use him in their orgs.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

You know the saying '...those that can't do, teach...". Maybe the opposite is true for him. :ohwell:
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Kareem

Being a "suspected" pothead probably hasn't helped him either. :thumb: Hopefully, that stigma isn't still with him.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Lucky for him he played in the days before drug testing :wacko:
  6. roscoe36

I know that Kareem has rubbed some people the wrong way, but I see this as a deficiency of the NBA head office that legendary players are not recognized and afforded an opportunity to continue building the league.

A great example is the way Shaq paid for George Mikan's funeral expenses. Another marketing and goodwill coup missed out on by the NBA because they are oblivious to and unappreciative of their business's history.

Sure you have exceptions like Kiki Vandeweghe and Dan Issel in Denver, although Kiki is a marginal GM while Issel ended up a terrible coach. But the team made those faces of the past a part of the future. They created a bridge across the generation gap.

Is this on the Lakers organization or the NBA? Even if Kareem has personal or off the court issues, there is no reason not to keep him around, trot him out to center court a couple times a season to wave at the fans. Make him a scout. A secretary. A special assistant to the towel boy.

But don't let him rot scouting for the NY Knicks or doing the summer camp circuit.

We are talking about arguably the greatest Center of all time. Not #4, not #5. A guy who is a clear #1 or #2. A 5 time champion.

It's important to cater to the crowd that was around before the Sprite generation. We are the ones forking over cash to take our kids to games. We are the ones springing our disposable income for their birthday gift of a jersey. Keep us connected. Make us feel like we are handing down a tradition.

</gets off of soapbox>
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

"Abdul-Jabbar has prescription to use marijuana in the state of California, the result of nausea-inducing migraine headaches."

I was always amazed that he could play with them. Even though he missed an ocassional game due to the migraines he played a number of games when he had them. Probably even played while high on pot.

He also turned down $1 million to play for the Globetrotters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Abdul-Jabbar
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

I saw Shaq's goodwill gesture mentioned on a number of sites & cable shows. How much more did you expect that instance to get played-up by the NBA?
  9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Buddah

Thanks for correcting me on that. I had forgotten that it was prescription medication. 'Course, I'm in favor of it either way: recreational or prescription. That reminds me, we need a smiley face on here that's lighting up a fatty. :biggrin1:
  10. roscoe36

My point was that the NBA should have paid for the funeral, not Shaq. Mikan was a league superstar in his day. Obviously the league has done quite well and his family may be on hard times.

It's called taking care of your own. Nice move by Shaq, but would have been a classier move by the NBA.
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

And what about the beer-bong smiley :dizzy: ? BUUUUURRRRPPPP!:p
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

You're right...but unfortunately the current league officials had less of a tie (concern, memory, etc) to/for Mikan than Shaq did...not to mention, Shaq's probably got more money
  13. roscoe36

http://www2.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3006362

14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Kareem

It's about time!
  15. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick