June 2006 Pistons Articles *Frequent Updates*

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by LanierFan, Jun 1, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[emediawire]

The Top 10 'Basketball Superstar and Rap Icon' Duo's of All-Time From The "Dunkadelic Era" In America, 1984-Present

8. Rasheed Wallace and Chuck D./Eminem, Rasheed like his fellow N. Carolina Tar Heel Michael Jordan has 2 MCee's that compare to him. Rasheed known as "Roscoe" to his team-mates is the basketball star who creates controversy with his comments and actions as Chuck D. and Eminem do with their lyrics. Raheed who plays for the Detroit Pistons is the hometown of Eminem. Rasheed will "Fight for the Power" against the establishment just like Chuck D. and Public Enemy.

Cool list if you are into urban culture.

[Hoopsworld]

NBA RUMOR MILL

Ben Wallace (unrestricted) – There are two prevailing thoughts regarding Ben – one is that he does not like Flip Saunder’s system, and that he has decided to explore life elsewhere, the other is that Ben’s standoffish approach is more playing the cards to insure he gets a maximum contract. Its highly unlikely the Pistons let Ben walk, especially over money – but there are more than a couple of NBA sources who say its not a leap to believe the Pistons let Ben’s people shop him out and establish his value and make their decision from there. A source close to the Spurs said that if Ben wants to be a Spur, they would answer that phone call – a deal sending Rasho Nesterovic and Manu Ginobili, gets the money right for Ben, but would such a package interest the Pistons enough to move their best defensive player?

Normally I would call BS on stuff like this, but Bill Ingram (the editor at Hoopsworld) has a lot of pull and inside access with the Texas teams. I'm inclined to believe such a thing would be possible and the Spurs interest could indeed be tangible.

If there is one area of the league Hoopsworld covers well, it's Texas (and to a lesser degree, Portland).

2. roscoe36

[Need4Sheed]

Detroit Pistons Video

Here is a great season ending video recorded from Pistons Weekly. The video is set to the music of Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends. This is one of my favorites, it's a great recap to a wonderful season. Thank you boys!

Simon Gratz High School Rasheed Wallace Video

Here is a classic video of Rasheed Wallace in High School at Philadelphia's Simon Gratz. Sheed (#30) looks the same on court even when dunking, the only difference is Fresh Prince haircut.

3. roscoe36

[The Philadelphia Inquirer]

David Aldridge | Lionization of Wade has its price

DALLAS - We have a choice.

We can marvel at what Dwyane Wade does on a basketball court and leave it at that, or we can start to do to him what we did to Michael Jordan and what we're doing to LeBron James.

Gee David, you really think we have a choice?

[Detroit Free Press]

MICHAEL ROSENBERG: Finals show Pistons might not be finished

In yet another gratuitous shot at Detroit, the NBA decided to continue its playoffs after the Pistons were eliminated. The league has given no reason for its decision, though one source indicated that "nobody liked those dudes anyway."

Pistons fans must be horrified, offended, angry ... and watching. Miami and Dallas will conclude the Finals this week, maybe even tonight, and let's take a worldly view of the series: How does it reflect on the Pistons?

At one time, I liked "Rosie" but he rarely breaks anything interesting, and his "I'm smarter than the establishment and readers whose breast I feed at" routine has gotten old. Columnists should make you think, not feel stupid or irrelevant.

4. roscoe36

[The Belleville View]

So what now for the Pistons?
    by Eric Pioch

First things first, Ben Wallace. Ben Wallace is the base of this team because he was what the Pistons were founded on and built around. He is the heart and soul of this organization and if the Pistons don't resign him in free agency they will be making a huge mistake.

5. roscoe36

[Sports Network]

Detroit Pistons 2006 Draft Preview
    By Warren Blatt, NBA Editor

(Sports Network) - For the first time in three years the Detroit Pistons will not enter the NBA Draft as the defending Eastern Conference champions. They were ousted in the conference semifinals in six games by the Miami Heat.

[Technician Online]

Lowe passes test, begins new job
    After passing the NCAA recruiting test, Sidney Lowe takes over as N.C. State's new coach
    by Clark Leonard

After being announced as the school's next basketball coach in early May, Sidney Lowe had some things to take care of before the target date of him officially starting the job on July 1.

Lowe finished his season as an assistant coach with the NBA's Detroit Pistons on June 2.

6. roscoe36

[Detroit News]

Take note, Pistons: The NBA is about superstars again
    by Bob Wojnowski

Geez, that didn't take long. Remember all those feel-good, team-first sentiments that swept the NBA after the Pistons won the championship in 2004? Remember the purported impact, that it would change the way teams were constructed, that it proved you could win without a superstar?

Gone. Done. Rewind.

I like Wojo. He's funny and makes his point without a lot of theatrics.

[WFAA]

The hookup: When love is young

My iPod's name is Chauncey Billups.

This is a puff piece. It's really about iPods. That the author named her iPod after Chauncey Billups reminds me of Pearl Jam's original name. The band was first called "Mookie Blaylock"

[The Oakland Press]

Darko pick looks even worse now
    by Keith Langlois

When the Pistons defied long odds to get the No. 2 pick in the talent-rich 2003 NBA draft at a time they were amid the conference finals, it was as if Bill Gates had won first prize in Microsoft's company raffle. The rich got richer.

That's what the Pistons thought, too, especially after they added Rasheed Wallace nine months later and then won the 2004 NBA title. It was as if that No. 2 pick they lucked into - the residue of a trade engineered six years earlier by a general manager long since fired - was house money, and they couldn't lose.

Keith is another columnist I like. It's too bad his work gets buried on the terrible Oakland Press website.

[New York Daily News]

Brown out as Knicks coach
    By FRANK ISOLA

The future of two assistant coaches Brown hired from Detroit is also unclear. Phil Ford and Dave Hanners are both under contract for three more years, which is unprecedented for assistant coaches. Brendan O'Connor, a third assistant coach hired by Brown, accepted a position on Eric Musselman's staff in Sacramento last week.

Just a snippet regarding two of LB's assistants.

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Pistons work out 16 draft prospects over four days
    Thursday, the Pistons took a look at four players -- C.J. Watson, a 6-2 guard and a four-year starter at Tennessee; DeAndre Haynes, a 6-foot-2 guard from Detroit Southwestern who was the Mid-American Conference player of the year for Kent State; Denham Brown, a 6-6 swingman who was a four-year player at Connecticut; and J.R. Pinnock, a 6-5 swing player from George Washington.

Wednesday, the Pistons looked at Nik Caner-Medley, a 6-8 forward who played four years at Maryland; Tarence Kinsey, a 6-6 shooting guard who played four years at South Carolina; Viktor Keirou, a 6-6 shooting guard from Russia; and Yotam Halperin, a 6-5 guard from Slovenia.

Tuesday, the Pistons looked at Nick George, a 6-6 forward from Virginia Commonwealth; Jeff Horner, a 6-3 guard from Iowa; Brendan Winters, a 6-5 guard from Davidson and the son of former NBA coach Brian Winters; and Vincent Grier, a 6-5 guard from Minnesota.

And Monday, the Pistons brought in Justin Williams, a 6-10 forward from Wyoming; Kenny Adeleke, a 6-8 forward from Hartford; Louis Amundson, a 6-9 forward from UNLV; and Wojciech Barycz, a 6-10 forward from Poland.

Previously, the Pistons had looked at several guards: Jose Juan Barea from Northeastern, Daniel Horton from Michigan, Mustafa Shakur from Arizona, Dwayne Mitchell from Lousiana-Lafayette and Will Blalock from Iowa State. The Pistons also took a look at 7-foot Ukrainian center Kyrylo Fesenko.

8. roscoe36

[Detroit Free Press]

NBA ROUNDUP: Knicks' Isiah takes over after Brown's firing

NEW YORK -- Larry Brown's dream job as coach of the Knicks is over. Now Isiah Thomas gets the job of coaching the overpriced, underachieving roster he created.

The New York Knicks put Brown out of his coaching misery Thursday, firing the coach with four years and a reported $40 million left on his contract.

The obligatory Isiah Thomas & Larry Brown news item. For [STRIKE]properity's[/STRIKE] infamy's sake.

[Philadelphia Inquirer]

'Right way' may be at end of road
    by Stephen A. Smith

NEW YORK - His star has shone for years, despite his archaic ways. Even while Larry Brown was in the throes of controversy and tumult, unemployment was never a concern for him.

But with Brown's dismissal as coach of the New York Knicks yesterday - a second consecutive departure from a team under acrimonious circumstances - the stature of a Hall of Fame coach who guided the 76ers to the 2001 NBA Finals has disintegrated before our very eyes. It is crumbling into dust as you read this.

Funny how "Play the Right Way" quickly became "If it ain't rough, it ain't right." I know, unrelated to the article except for the title. It's so annoying to visit pistons.com and see "Go to work in 2006/7". Should be a message for the team, not the fans.

Ok, I'm done ranting now...

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]

BEN OR BUST: Wallace likely to test market
    Wallace recently had this to say in the Orlando Sentinel about his impending free agency: "Nothing in this league is automatic. "I was never supposed to leave Washington. I was supposed to retire in Orlando. Strange things happen. It's not automatic."

In the same interview, he said, "it's not always just about the money. It's about having an opportunity to do what you're comfortable doing."

[Fairly detailed article on several topics - including quotes from Alan Ostfield, the rarely-heard-from chief operating officer of the Pistons. Worth a look.]

[Chicago Tribune]

Ask the Reporters: Why not Wallace?
    I just don't understand your stance on Ben Wallace. He's 32 this year, which isn't that old for his skill set. Diminishing skills? This was the first year he played all 82 games, AND he still has all the intangibles AND he once again averaged over 11 boards per game. He offers the defense and intensity that made the Pistons champions. So why not shell out money for a guy who obviously has four or five good years left, and who just played his first 82-game season?

Dan, Chicago

Sam Smith: Look, Ben is intriguing, but I have questions about his attitude after the pouting in the playoffs and that refusal to come back in a game in March. The Pistons will make him a decent offer, which means you have to use up all your cap room for him, and with Tyson Chandler, that would be two guys who can't score or make a free throw.

[Sam Smith shooting down a Bulls trade possibility? Surely not, considering the guy is king of "see if it sticks" journalism. He's wrong so often, you have to wonder if they're already sizing Ben's Chicago jersey.]

[People's Daily Online]

Winning strategy for the Pistons
    As we know, the NBA hottest favorite, Detroit Piston with an outstanding record of 64-18 has fallen in the playoffs, leaving much doubt to me. I am wondering what they should do for the next season.

After some deep thoughts I came up with a strategy regarding the regrouping of the Pistons for the next season.

[My man Zhenyu Li, dropping the 313 in the PRC! Welcome to our Chinese brothers, showing they can play amateur GM as well as anybody.]

10. roscoe36

I read the Zhenyu Li piece. Maybe in China the idea is to have the smallest team...

Trade Ben because he is too small for Al Harrington or Vladimir Radmanovic. Maybe we can have an offense that scores exclusively from beyond the arc...

11. roscoe36

[Draft Express]

Training Grounds, Part Two: An interview with Joe Abunassar

Eric Weiss: Going along those lines, who are the guys that you feel you’ve helped the most. The players you mentioned obviously have great name recognition, but who do you feel you’ve had the most impact on as a coach? Also, what do you do with players developmentally after the draft process?

Joe Abunassar: Billups and Garnett for sure. Tayshaun Prince and Al Harington most certainly. Michael Ruffin, who’s been with me since he came out of Tulsa and just signed a two year deal. A guy like Reece Gaines, who hasn’t had much success since, but we really got him ready for the draft and got him to go at 15. Jared Jeffries is a guy that I’ve been training since he was a junior in high school because he was in Bloomington Indiana and obviously so was I. So, guys like Billups and Prince, Ruffin and Jefferies, guys who I’ve helped coming into the league, have helped stay in the league, stay prepared and find a niche for themselves to get it done.

Also Acker and Johnson summer plans... Well worth the read.

[The News-Times]

Brown, Anderson share similar path to NBA draft
    By Brian Koonz

Detroit and Minnesota also brought in Brown for pre-draft workouts. The Pistons have the last pick of the draft at No. 60, while the Timberwolves have two picks in the second round at No. 37 and No. 57.

"People are fascinated by the fact that he's so multi-dimensional," Calhoun said. "Obviously, he has a pro body. That's one of the things that helps. After guys coach a lot in the NBA, they're looking for a guy who is strong and tough and can do a lot of different things.

And he's a canuck!
    [Basketball.About.com]

2006 NBA Trade Deadline Analysis
    From Brendan McGovern

Detroit's Angle: This deal had everything to do with business, and not basketball. Of course, Milicic has yet to develop on par with even the most modest expectations, but the Pistons needed to create the necessary cap space to keep the League's best starting five intact. Milicic and Arroyo were the lone commodities that could be dealt to get that immediate room. And let's face it: if you're the favorite for the NBA title and are presented with a trade that will have no impact on the team today while securing the team's future, how do you not do it?

This is for the people who just will not let this trade go. Enjoy...

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[MLive.com]

FULL-COURT PRESS: Salary cap analysis: Pistons over with or without Ben
    Even without Wallace's salary, the Pistons will still be over the cap. This is because the exceptions count against the cap, before they are even used, unless the team chooses to renounce them. Since the MLE would be greater than the remaining cap space, even at the highest cap estimates, it would be foolish for the Pistons renounce it. Therefore, the remainder of this analysis remains unchanged.

Resigning Wallace would put the Pistons' new salary figure at $59.1 million with a total of 12 players under contract. Should the Pistons also choose to use the full amount of their two exceptions, the team would be spending $66.2 million total on players' salaries.

13. roscoe36

[Need4Sheed]

Let Them Be

Rumors, speculations, salary cap, the draft and trade rumors is what Pistons fans have been hearing since the Pistons unexpected exit from the NBA playoffs. I can't believe some of the things the fans have been saying lately. There are the rumors of a Garnett trade, the calls to fire Flip, to trade Sheed, the sign and trade deal for Ben Wallace everyone thinks will happen and the desperate fans who actually think Larry Brown is going to be a part of the team whether it be head coach or an assistant coach. The future is uncertain as far as the team is concerned.

Love Natalie, but there is nothing wrong with being hardcore in the offseason about the Pistons. I'm not going to mope or avoid tough topics.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Understanding Detroit's offseason options

With the draft just a couple of days away and the free agency period about to start on Saturday, you might be interested in reading up on the Pistons' salary cap/luxury cap situation. The short and easy answer is, the Pistons have a little bit of wiggle room, but not much.
    DBB reader and PistonsForum.com [...]

You know that you have "made it" on the internet when someone blogs you by your nickname.

[Detroit News]

Pistons' Evans beat the odds
    He made it as a free agent, spent two years in Europe and is now entrenched in the NBA.
    by Dave Dye

Pistons reserve Maurice Evans knows what it feels like to sit there on draft night, hoping, expecting to be selected in the first round, but never having his named called.

Evans and his agent apparently had been told by NBA teams that he would be a first-round pick, maybe even as high as No. 15 and at least in the top 25.

This is a great story about the other side of the NBA draft. The one where dreams of riding in a firetruck or eating jello are dashed on the war room floor. Where endorsement deals turn into weekend jobs at Burger King and promising young ballers disappear into the night like Dale Davis buried on the Pistons bench. Without a sound. Without a witness. Without a chance...

14. roscoe36

The Pistons D-League affiliate, the Sioux Falls Skyforce has a new logo.

[​IMG]

15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Nice logo. Before, they only had stiffs in the uniforms.

(Rimshot)

16. roscoe36

[The Jackson Sun]

NBA: Tony Delk says options are as important as dreams
    By BOB HEIST

The smile on Kang Johnson's face said it all. And we're not talking about the cookie and hamburger the Detroit transplant had his attention focused on during lunch break.

The 9-year-old city resident was all teeth and gums when asked about his encounter with the main attraction of the Tony Delk Shooting Camp on Monday morning at Liberty High School.

"It was awesome," the Jackson Careers and Technology School fifth-grader said. "To have him talk to me, it makes me feel more confident. I won't ever forget that."

[Philadelphia Inquirer]

Rose blossoming as stars' go-to guy
    S. Jersey lawyer-turned-NBA agent traded one court for another.
    By Marc Narducci

Back before he was one of the hottest agents in the NBA - before he represented Allen Iverson and LeBron James and some of the top college players entering tomorrow's NBA draft - Cherry Hill's Leon Rose did whatever it took just to become a real-life NBA player representative.

"Early in my career, he would wake up at 6:45 a.m. and meet me at Cherry Hill East every morning and rebound for me while I shot," said Rick Brunson, the Temple University star who became Rose's first full-time client in 1995. "How many agents would do that? But that's how bad he wanted me to make it."

The "infamous" Leon Rose is Rip's agent.

[Morning Journal]

Q&A with Cavaliers coach Mike Brown
    by Bob Finnan

MJ: Speaking of the playoffs, was Game 6 in the East semifinal series against Detroit an opportunity lost?

Brown: ''We actually felt we had a chance to win it. I knew it would be tough to go to Detroit and win if we lost Game 6. We had an opportunity to (win). The Pistons have had their backs to the wall before and came out on top. It was a learning experience for us. I wish we would have learned and won. The opportunity was there.

[Booth Newspapers]

With last draft pick, Pistons hope for an eventual contributor
    By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- When considering a player to select in Wednesday's NBA draft, some teams will put a lot of stock in numbers, such as height, weight, bench press or vertical jump. Others will consider how players perform in individual and group workouts.

And then there are teams like the Detroit Pistons, whose lone selection in the NBA's version of Russian Roulette is No. 60, the last pick of the draft.

Because of their draft position, the Pistons know it's pointless to hope that a particular player will be available.

[Full Court Press]

Salary cap analysis part two: Free agent point guards

Yesterday we broke down the Pistons' salary cap standing; today we will begin to investigate possible players on whom the Pistons can spend their exceptions. This entry will focus on available point guards. Facts and analysis will be provided, but a final judgment on how the contracts should be used will be reserved for the reader.

Nice introduction to some free agents on the market.
    ~

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Some nice finds today Roscoe.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Nice PG article:thumb:

19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[MLive.com]

A. SHERROD BLAKELY: Pistons Bulletin
    For those hoping for a Larry Brown return to The Palace, don't be surprised if you get your wish.

Coaching the Pistons?

Uh ... no. That's not going to happen.

But don't be surprised if Brown is back on the sidelines next season, and don't be surprised if the team he's with is ... The Miami Heat.

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

[All Over the Place]

Dolan to Isiah: 356 days and counting
    Ths kicker is seeing how Isiah will use this to instigate a coup that places him at the head of the Knicks ownership. Stay tuned.