July 2006 Pistons Articles *Frequent Updates*

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by roscoe36, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm starting to like Krista Jahnke (Latham)... she works a little harder than the rest... actually gets interviews.
    I wish someone would clarify the length of of Murray's contract... NBATV says it's for three years... if it's only two we've got an expiring deal next year.... player opt after this year?

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The BAE can only be a for a max of two years, so two it is.

4. roscoe36

[The Portland Tribune]

Ha’s time may be running short
    By Kerry Eggers

"Terry Porter will take a job as assistant coach with Detroit unless something happens in his group’s bid for Blazer ownership over the next few weeks. The ex-Blazer guard can’t wait too long or the Piston position will go away."

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

DELFINO DRAMA: Forward Carlos Delfino made comments in a Spanish-language publication last week that carried unhappy undertones, although exact translations can be spotty.
    But Dumars said Delfino indicated at the end of the season that he wants to be in Detroit.
    "If he thinks he should be somewhere else," Dumars said, "I'll call you guys and say, 'We made a trade.' It's simple. There's no gray area for me."

Joe on Delfino

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Davidson was rather coy when asked about the notion he would never give any player a maximum contract.
    "It's absolutely a false perception," he said.

Mr. D Talks

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Dumars also heard talk that the Pistons, by not re-signing Wallace, were lowering expectations for the 2006-07 season.
    "Our goals are the same," he said. "I am not going to sit up here and say we're playing for second place. We brought these two guys in here to help us win a championship.
    "I'll tell you what, when the other guys come back for training camp, make sure you ask them if they think our goals have changed. Those guys will have something to say about that because that's selling them short."

Joe & Flip talking about new team. Done dealing?

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

One thing that bothers me is the fact that Flip said he's going to make this team use a lot more zone. His reasoning was that the team stopped miami more when they used zone in the ECF. I don't know why I just hate zone defense. I think it won't be as effective because Ben isn't here to get the rebound. When you play the zone you usually don't boxout because you're not gaurding 1 player.

10. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Everybody into the Free Agent Pool...82games.com

"Over the past two years, 34 different players signed free-agent deals worth at least $35 million," writes Hollinger. "Of those, by my count, there are at least 15 whose teams would gladly give them away if they could. I mean literally give them away, just to be rid of the contract. ... Beyond those, there are at least another five whose teams deeply regret signing them (or should) ... . "Twenty busts out of 34 contracts. Isn't that amazing, considering these teams are the supposed "winners" of free agency? And shouldn't that be a huge signal that teams ought to be more careful in taking risks like this in the free agent market?"

http://www.82games.com/pelton23.htm

12. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

13. roscoe36

Basketbills, great link. In some regards it absolves the Pistons of letting Ben Wallace go given the probability that his contract would become an albatross, and yet on the other hand, indicts them for not being able to effectively utilize rookie contracts (except Prince and Okur) to help manage salary/performance.

I'm gunna print and read that one a few times.

14. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I know this isn't the place to start a discussion, but our #1 defensive liability is the red carpet to the paint (with or without Ben). The best way to stop that is zone. I can't fault Flip for trying to correct that with the pieces he has.

15. roscoe36

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Friday's Layup Drill

Off topic, but we'd be remiss if we didn't comment on the Detroit Tigers' remarkable week. They are making believers out of the most skeptical of fans and have continued the Detroit-area teams' run of regular-season dominance. After taking two of three from the rival White Sox, they are now 64-31 tops [...]

[The Grand Rapids Press]

Laimbeer 'hooked' on WNBA
    By Bob Becker

AUBURN HILLS -- Bill Laimbeer acknowledges his appreciation for women's basketball came later in life.

Now coach of the WNBA's Detroit Shock, Laimbeer had a solid NBA career, leading the Pistons to back-to-back NBA titles in 1989 and 1990. He remains the franchise leader in rebounds (9,430).

[The Prescott Daily Courier]

Getting your money's worth with Brown
    By JORDAN KOBRITZ

How much should an NBA coach who led his team to a 23-59 record, the second worst in the league last year, and the most losses in team history, be paid? If you're Larry Brown, recently deposed coach of the New York Knicks, the answer is $50 million. If you're James Dolan, owner of the Knicks, the $10 million already paid is probably causing indigestion.

[Kerrville Daily Times]

Why Pop Why?
    By Jason Chlapek

Remember the hit single, “Big Yellow Taxi?”

There was a line in the song, “You don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone.” I wonder if that’s how San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich feels these days.

On Feb. 24, 2005, Popovich traded Spurs fan-favorite Malik Rose to the New York Knicks for Nazr Mohammed. Rose, a 6-foot-7 forward who played like he was 7-1, did not have the size Popovich wanted to complement Tim Duncan. Mohammed is 6-10.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The preseason rankings are already out (not sure if anyone posted this somewhere else) and the Dime and Fox folks have already dropped the Pistons down to 8th behind the Clippers, Cavs, and Bulls. Not sure if another FA aquisition or trade will see us move up before the season starts, but there quote is:
    Nazr Mohammed certainly isn’t the answer, and suddenly the Pistons look like an aging team in decline.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/powerRankings

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Pistons are way better than 8th. These guys are just messed up because they put the Magic in 29th too.:ohwell:

18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmm... no mention of Darko as a "cornerstone"?

"The cornerstones are there in Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson..."

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think Jameer Nelson is a defensive liability and not a good ball distributer... guess some folks have a different opinion of what a cornerstone is.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.