July 2006 Pistons Articles *Frequent Updates*

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by roscoe36, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]​

New Piston receives praise from ex-coach
    Lon Kruger, now the UNLV coach, coached Mohammed during part of the 6-foot-10 center's three-year stint in Atlanta. And Kruger said, at least in one way, Mohammed should bring the Pistons something similar to Wallace.

"He's very focused," Kruger said. "He wants very badly to become as good a player as he possibly can. He's just a good guy to be around. He's sharp. I was happy to see him have some success in San Antonio."

Kruger also said that Mohammed, 28, is a good teammate, someone who always came to practice on time and ready to work hard. And he emphasized that Mohammed doesn't let ego stand in his way of fulfilling whatever role a team needs him to play.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Kicking off the Las Vegas Summer League

The Pistons have a repuation for being an old team, but they actually have a surprising amount of youth on the roster, especially toward the end of the bench. For the next week or so, those young players will have a chance to showcase their talent in the Toshiba Vegas Summer League, which opens today [...]

[San Antonio Express-News]

Mike Finger: Spurn Spurs at your own risk

Nazr Mohammed and Joel Przybilla got the contracts they wanted, so financially speaking, both have it made.

But if Mohammed wants to hold on to all that money, he better hope the checks don't arrive via entry passes to the post.

[BLACK ATHLETE SPORTS NETWORK]

BEN WALLACE'S NEW LOOK
    CHICAGO BOUND

While the Talk has been whether or not Allen Iverson was staying or leaving Philadelphia Ben Wallace stole the Show telling Detroit see 'ya

Wallace is a Free Agent so the Choice was his to make and all indications are he has. Leaving the Pistons behind for the Bulls. In the world of Basketball its about as big as if Iverson left Philly. Maybe Bigger because Detroit will get nothing in return for Wallace's Loss. For Chicago they go from Wannabes to Contenders and all it is costing them is the easy stuff. Cash. They've got plenty.

[WWMT]

Georgia State hires Mark Macon as assistant coach

ATLANTA (AP) - Michigan native Mark Macon has been hired as an assistant to Georgia State head basketball coach Michael Perry.

Macon won the "Mister Basketball" award -- honoring Michigan's top high school player -- in 1987, in his senior season at Saginaw Buena Vista. He later starred at Temple University and played six seasons in the NBA with the Denver Nuggets and Detroit Pistons.

[Saginaw News]

The Pistons made a big mistake in trusting Big Ben
    by Greg Mancina

Wallace turned his back on the franchise that gave him a chance in the NBA.

Ben Wallace ticks me off. I'm sure he ticks off Joe Dumars. I'm sure he ticks off his former Detroit Piston teammates.

But nobody will say anything about it. So I will.

I occasionally overlook articles I absolutely disdain in my news postings. Hey, I'm human. All Ben Wallace's fault? Pistons fiscal saints? The remainder of the team blameless? Let's try to keep it real brother Greg.
  4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

We're not supposed to decide what lives or dies on these pages? News to me. I leave out stuff all the time that doesn't conform to my long-term agenda.*

*If we had an emoticon that twirled its mustache in a sinister way, it would be here. Use your imagination, you'll get the drift.
  5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Slow news day, with the Wallace stuff dying down and summer league yet to begin. Here's a little this and that:

[MLive.com]

FULL-COURT PRESS: Przylla never interested in Detroit
    Przybilla had a long phone conversation with Duffy. He said his agent was pushing for Detroit.

"I knew deep down that Detroit wasn't the place for me," Przybilla said. "And as soon as we knew Chicago had that deal with Ben Wallace, we knew that we were coming back to Portland. So that night, before we went to bed, we looked at each other and said 'Let's do it. Let's go back to Portland.' "

ALSO:
    Did the Bulls promise Ben they would pursue Kevin Garnett?
    [Somebody tell me when the Bulls WEREN'T pursuing Kevin Garnett. Now that would be news.]

[Detroit Bad Boys]​

Kicking off the Las Vegas Summer League
    We'll try to keep one eye on the TVSL, but for more in-depth coverage I suggest you check out Bad Boy Summer Camp. Despite the name, it's not affiliated with this site, but rather is a collaborative effort from some of the fine folks over at PistonsForum.com.
    [Thanks for the plug!]

ALSO:
    10-year-old point guards
    Ben Wallace on video

[Need4Sheed]

Ben Wallace Was Quite Frankly Not Happy With The Team's Direction: Video
    Ben Wallace tells Stephen A. Smith he didn't like the team's new offensive direction.

[ClipperBlog.com]

Did Joe Dumars Pull A Theo Epstein?
    What's surprised me is the one-sided coverage the Ben Wallace deal is getting. Sometimes I think these things are approached as if 'getting the guy' is the goal, when it's not. It's getting value. And nobody I've read has asked the question -- As admirably blue-collar Ben Wallace is and as much as we all love the guy, is it possible that at some point really, really soon, $15M may be absurdly too much money to pay Ben Wallace to be your center? .... I'm not suggesting that Chicago isn't getting a superlative player, but I don't think Pistons fans need to pay any mind to the chatter.

[The Association]

Player Movement, Part I
    Ben Wallace to Chicago: Pretty much this has been beaten to death by all the NBA "experts". I just recall reading a Sam Smith piece back in 04-05 predicting that the Bulls were mimicking the Detroit Pistons in their roster moves. While this is a good move, this is not going to make the Bulls an immediate contender. They still lack a low post scorer and that clutch swingman that you need for the playoffs (Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Ginobili, etc.). They were headed in the right direction, but then they brought in Jim Paxson as a consultant. (???) Nothing beats some good old fashioned nepotism! Why not consult your flunky older brother? What type of "consulting" can a former GM who's record was 185-307 and zero NBA playoff appearances in six years do?

Nazr Mohammed to Detroit: Not a bad pick-up for a 4-year deal for $25 million. Losing Wallace was big for team chemistry (was mostly satisfied with take little or no shots), defense (one of the top help defenders in the game) and rebounding. Getting Mohammed is a smart move, Detroit gets a decent big who'll come off the bench and they didn't have to move any key players. Still Detroit is no longer one of the top four teams in the league.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

This just in -- there's a new blog over at MLive. Since the guy's name is "Zuidema" we can assume he's from Grand Rapids. Let's check it out, shall we?

[MLive.com]

THE BENCHWARMER: Life after Big Ben
    It's funny how Detroit fans react to their hometown teams. The first rule of the basic Motown fan is to act all indignant and whine about the lack of respect the rest of the nation gives to their teams. As if New York and Boston are going to care about anything other than the East Coast, and the West Coast will focus on anything that's not based on Hollywood -- or related to them not falling into the Pacific Ocean.

The second rule is to overreact to anything related to the team. And that's where fans are at with Wallace's move to the Windy City.

A.S. BLAKELY: Mr. Sparty back to the D?
    The Detroit Pistons added yet another familiar name to their summer league roster.

Mateen Cleaves, the Flint native and former first-round pick of the Pistons, will replace Frank Williams on Detroit's summer-league squad in Las Vegas this week.

FULL-COURT PRESS: Pistons working on a deal for Al Harrington?
    In Terry Foster's blog today he has some really interesting theories on the Ben Wallace’s reasons for leaving. On top of those statements, Foster says there are rumblings that the Pistons could be working on a big sign-and-trade deal.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Terry Foster on Ben Wallace and Al Harrington
    Foster claims to have some insight on some other, non-financial reasons as to why Ben Wallace was so quick to accept Chicago's offer:

"Ben Wallace was upset that the Pistons banned his brother David Wallace from the Palace following his involvement in the brawl against the Indiana Pacers ..."

ALSO:
    We have a Mateen Cleaves sighting!
  7. roscoe36

[Toldeo Blade]

Without Ben, Pistons need a superstar
    by John Harris

Don't stop now, Joe Dumars.

Your task is far from done.

Finish the job and blow up the Detroit Pistons.

As Ben "Benedict" Wallace prepares to sign with the rival Chicago Bulls, Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations, should go for broke.

[Philadelphia Inquirer]

Sixers assistant coach leaving for Magic job

By Joe Juliano

"Kuester, 51, has spent 16 seasons as an NBA assistant coach, including terms in Boston, Detroit and New Jersey. He was on Brown's staff in 2004 when the Pistons won the championship."

[The Daily Local News]

Coatesville still Rip’s city
    by MICHAEL CRIST

COATESVILLE - The new blacktop at the Ash Park basketball courts in Coatesville was packed down as tight as those who gathered along the freshly painted sidelines.

The pulse of hip-hop beats mixed with the screeches of referee whistles and cheers, and the youngsters who traded jump shots were having fun.

It could only mean one thing -- summertime basketball had finally arrived in Coatesville.
  8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]
    Draft choice fights for spot
    "We really appreciate Mateen coming out," said Pistons assistant coach Don Zierden, who is running the summer team. "It's good to have an extra body out there, especially a guy with his experience who is a proven winner. I think he's going to be a very good influence on our young kids."

The Pistons begin summer-league play today against the Wizards and Blalock will be the starting point guard.

"We've only had (five) practices, but I like his leadership qualities," Zierden said.

"He's a guy who communicates on the floor and I think he's a hard-nosed defensive player. Until we see him out there competing against guys who play in this league, you don't know. But I like what we've seen."

ROB PARKER: No chance for sign-and-trade
    As good as it sounds, the rumors out of Chicago are wrong. The Pistons didn't have any deals on the table with the Knicks or 76ers.

The talk was they did, but Wallace, the free-agent center, KO'd any chance for a deal, insisting on taking the four-year, $60-million deal from the Bulls.

If that was the case, it certainly would have looked as if Wallace had an ax to grind with the Pistons. For sure, the Pistons would have been interested in making a deal. After all, no team wants to lose a star and get nothing in return.

.... My NBA familyis telling me that the Pistons have set their sights on free-agent shooting guard Ronald "Flip" Murray.

Capology 101
    The Pistons' cap guru is Allan Ostfield, who left his job as senior vice president and general counsel for the San Diego Padres six years ago to become the chief operating officer for Palace Sports & Entertainment. In addition to many other duties, he's now the one team president Joe Dumars has on speed dial.

"He or (vice president) John Hammond will call and say, 'Hey, we're thinking about this (deal). Does it work?'?" said Ostfield, who is usually ready with multiple answers. "The three of us have developed a good sense of trust. But the way I always think about it is, the beginning is Joe and the end is Joe. I'm just trying to help out in the middle."

Salary cap glossary
    Bird rights: It's slang for the clause in the NBA's collective bargaining agreement that allows a team to offer a more lucrative contract and exceed the salary cap to re-sign its own free agent. Boston was the first team granted this exception when the cap was instituted in 1984, and the Celtics used it to re-sign Larry Bird to a seven-year, $12.6 million deal.

Go figure
    After losing Ben Wallace to the Chicago Bulls and getting nothing in return -- attempts at orchestrating a sign-and-trade deal failed -- the Pistons were forced to rebound with one hand tied behind their back. They're capped out, with an estimated $52 million already committed to 10 players for next season. So the money offered to Wallace can't be spent on other free agents.

Teams are allowed to go over the cap -- it'll likely be about $51-52 million next season -- only to re-sign their own free agents or by using the allowable salary-cap "exceptions" -- a mid-level, a bi-annual and minimum-salary player slots.

The Pistons already have earmarked the mid-level exception, worth an estimated $5.3 million this season, for free agent center Nazr Muhammad. The team's bi-annual exception ($1.75 million) likely will be spent on a backup guard.

[Detroit Free Press]

Pistons put Cleaves in summer lineup
    Maybe you can go home again. And maybe the way home for former Michigan State standout Mateen Cleaves is through Las Vegas.

Cleaves, who was drafted No. 14 overall by the Pistons in 2000 after leading the Spartans to a national title, was added to the Pistons' summer league roster Friday, replacing former Illinois guard Frank Williams.

[Booth Newspapers]​

Cleaves added to Pistons summer squad
    .... Acker and Johnson played well for the Patriots, in part because of Cleaves' ability to get them the ball in positions where they could be most effective -- a similar role he'll likely play this summer.

Detroit is expected to talk with ex-Piston guard Chucky Atkins this weekend about a possible return to the team next season. Atkins, along with Tony Delk, are among the players the Pistons are considering signing with their biennial exception, which is worth about $1.7 million.
  9. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

[ESPN]

LeBron to sign up to five-year, $80M extension
    by the Associated Press

LeBron James won't be leaving home anytime soon.

Cleveland's All-Star forward agreed Saturday to sign a contract extension of up to five years and worth as much as $80 million with the Cavaliers, a huge relief for the rising team and its fretting fans who worried he might be planning an escape.
  10. roscoe36

[South Florida Sun-Sentinel]

Ira Winderman: Don't count out Pistons

Despite Chicago's offseason moves, Detroit is still the better playoff team.

Caught in a summer daze before Wednesday's official signing rage:

Despite all the talk to the contrary, the Pistons are not dead yet.

Even with Ben Wallace's free-agent shift to Chicago, Detroit remains the better team, especially in regard to playoff prospects.

Winderman is the anti-Dan LeBatard. That means he is not insane.

[The Philadelphia Inquirer]

On the NBA: Conventional wisdom can be foolhardy

By David Aldridge

Conventional wisdom is conventional for a reason: It's easy. Doesn't require any deep thinking. Often, it's correct, but many times, it's just lazy.

We try very hard around here not to just blithely accept the CW, whether it's about politics, movies or sports. And in our neck of the woods, the first week of free agency offers the opportunity to either accept the NBACW being thrown around, or see things differently.

We always believe in differently.

I like Aldridge. Why is it that Philly has more quality columnists than Detroit? Our columnists only cover the local re: The NBA. Some of these other heads actually look at the league from a broader view...

[The Atlanta Journal-Constitution]

INSIDE THE NBA
    Early big deals are mostly mistakes

By SEKOU SMITH

Sure, it's a tad early to analyze the NBA's free agency period — signings and trades don't become official until Wednesday.

Sekou Smith is the only thing good about the Atlanta Hawks. Well, Sekou and Zaza Pachulia.

[The Charlotte Observer]

Lowe learns ins, outs of college recruiting
    Talent evaluation at college level is vastly different from NBA
    by KEN TYSIAC

INDIANAPOLIS - The former point guard in the red golf shirt sat alone at the bottom of the bleachers Thursday as highly regarded high school prospects whizzed past.

Other coaches engaged in playful banter at the Nike All-America Camp, but new N.C. State coach Sidney Lowe mostly watched, intently and silently. This is Lowe's first chance to evaluate talent as the Wolfpack's coach, and it's clear he doesn't want to miss anything.

Sidney Lowe. Wherefore art thou, hallway coach?

Oh hallway coach, oh hallway coach,
    Thy schemes are so unchanging.
    Not only mean when Ben was here
    But also when 'tis down and drear.
    You fill all quotes with cliche.
    You stalk Eli with tenacity.
    At Summer League, you stand so tall,
    Affording minutes to one and all.
    You fill all quotes with cliche
  11. roscoe36

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit Free Press]

New Piston hasn't realized potential
    "He's gonna rebound the basketball," said Knicks assistant coach Herb Williams, "he's gonna go out there and lay it on the line."

Sound familiar?

Consider Mohammed's numbers as a Knick. In 2004, for the first couple months of the season, he was averaging around 12 points and nine rebounds a game. He was shooting 51% from the field and almost 70% from the free-throw line. He was grabbing almost four offensive rebounds a game. Before the trade, he was second in the league that year, behind only Wallace, who was averaging 4.6 offensive rebounds a game.

"Detroit knew when they signed him they were getting a (heck) of an offensive rebounder," Williams said.

[Good article. Check it out.]

Pistons win summer league game
    Alex Acker scored 17 points, and Jason Maxiell added 15 as the Pistons beat the Washington Wizards, 80-67. Amir Johnson added 10 points and seven rebounds.

The Pistons' second-round picks debuted. Center Cheik Samb, acquired on draft night from the Lakers, had nine points, nine rebounds and three blocks.

Guard Will Blalock, the last player taken in the NBA draft, scored six points on 3-for-11 shooting.

Analyst: Ben couldn't say no
    Q: What do you think was the factor that made Ben leave? Was it his supposed beef with Flip Saunders?

A: I think his allegiance and loyalty to the organization outweighed Flip Saunders. That's how it is. Chicago just made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I don't know how many people would turn down $3 or $4 million increase at the minimum. I don't blame him.

[MLive.com]

FULL-COURT PRESS: Pistons may go after Flip Murray
    According to Rob Parker's moles, the Pistons have their sites set on former SuperSonic and Cavalier Flip Murray to be Rip Hamilton's backup. Remember, take Parker's mole comments as nothing more than supported rumors.

ALSO:
    Court ruling hurts chances of a Harrington sign-and-trade

[Oakland Press]

Time to go all in?
    Joe Dumars has never been afraid to gamble. With the Pistons' summer-league team playing in Las Vegas for a week, Dumars has to decide whether to bet his assets like the blue-haired woman at the nickel slot machine or more like professional poker star Phil Ivey at a no-limit hold 'em tournament.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

[Detroit Free Press]

Why isn't Bill Davidson drawing his fair share of criticism in the aftermath of Big Bad Ben's Big Bold Bolt?

[Chicago Tribune]

Loyalty in an age of choices
    These are trying times for those of us who consider ourselves loyal individuals but don't wish to view loyalty as a permanent commitment to misery.

This is an opinion piece with a chicago slant but touches on Ben Wallace. Just another opinion to add to the pile.
  14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Making an impression
    Nik Caner-Medley didn't come here to get knocked out. He took a few minutes to regain his equilibrium and then proceeded to score 10 points and grab just about every loose ball in the Pistons' 80-67 summer-league victory over the Wizards on Saturday.

"He's a tough kid, no doubt about that," said Don Zierden , a Pistons assistant coach who is running the team in Las Vegas. " A lot of guys wouldn't have gone back in."

Caner-Medley, undrafted after starting four years at Maryland, is making a bid to be in an NBA camp next fall, preferably the Pistons.

Samb faces tall task to make NBA roster
    "There's going to be a learning curve with him," said Don Zierden, a Pistons assistant in charge of the summer-league team. "The physical part of the NBA game is going to be very difficult for him. But the things I liked, you can't teach length and he anticipates very well. He understands the game and he tries to do the right thing."

Samb, who played just one season in the second-level pro league in Spain, made quite a debut here. In the Pistons' 80-67 victory over Washington on Saturday, Samb had nine points and nine rebounds. Of his four field goals, one was a dunk and the others were perimeter jump shots. He was credited with three blocks, but had six.

He did struggle with the physical play, picking up eight personal fouls (you are allowed 10 in summer-league play). But he showed a good understanding of the game, executing the nuances of the Pistons' offensive and defensive rotations.

[Good article, with lots of info on this mysterious Senegalese. And by the way, it's apparently pronounced "Chick."]

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Summer Camp's first game recap
    In any event, be sure to check out Bad Boys Summer Camp for in-depth coverage, which to be honest completely blows the doors off the minature recap featured in Sunday's Detroit Free Press. Mind you, this isn't just a couple of guys analyzing a box score — the Summer Camp crew actually has "guys on the ground" attending the games out in Vegas. Tough gig, I'm sure, but I'm glad they stepped up to the plate — these guys are seriously providing coverage you can't find anywhere else. Keep up the good work, fellas!

[The rest you know, but we just had to share the cool plug. Thanks, Matt.]
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[The Detroit News]

Wallace leaves Maxiell with words of wisdom
    Maxiell was going to miss him. Shoot, he was even going to miss lugging Wallace's boombox to every game -- which was Maxiell's rookie responsibility last season.

His outlook brightened, though, after he talked to Wallace last week.

"I talked to him on the phone, and he said, 'The door's open for you now,'?" Maxiell said. "He said, 'Go play hard in summer league and come to camp next year ready to go to work.' That's what I plan to do."

[Good article, especially the parts about Max improving his rebounding and passing. Check it out.]

[The Detroit Free Press]

Where are they now? Terry Dischinger
    On being the NBA's only part-time player: "During my rookie year, I wanted to obtain my chemical engineering degree from Purdue, so Chicago let me attend school and play on weekends and holidays. One time after class, I left Purdue at 4 p.m., taped my ankles in a cab and played that night in San Francisco. It wasn't that tough of a year because I received my degree, the Rookie of the Year award, and was paid to play the game I loved."

[One of the league's post-basketball success stories, Terry was a Matt Harpring type who combined good rebounding with a slick jumper. Now one of the country's top orthodontists.]

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Monday's layup drill
    Is it Cheick Samb or Cheikh Samb? Can we get a ruling? I see it spelled "Cheick" most of the time, but the Detroit News is using "Cheikh" — and this article from the website of the Spanish team he plays for actually uses both. In any case, the News has an interesting profile on the lanky project/prospect from Senegal.

ALSO:
    Dispelling acquisition rumors

[The Mighty MJD]

On Ben Wallace
    So if you’re Ben Wallace, a guy who’s built a career on working harder than anyone else… you want to be somewhere where hard work is still the recipe still success. The Bulls, if nothing else, will work hard. They’ll get after it on defense. They’ve got a tough-minded coach who won’t tolerate a lapse in intensity. Throw in the ridiculous money… and it’s a good place for Ben Wallace.

Now, that’s not to say that I think this is a great deal for Chicago, either (although Charles Oakley likes it). Even forgetting that Ben’s an offensive liability, and that at the free-throw line, he makes Shaq look like Larry Bird, his production had been declining in recent years. He’s certainly on the downside, and he’s not going to find a situation that works for him like it worked in Detroit. It was very unique, what happened in Detroit with Ben Wallace… it’s not everyday that a team builds around a defensive-minded player, but they did it. No one else is going to, and his numbers are going to keep dropping off.
  16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

[Detroit News]

Acker builds his case to stick with Pistons
    There is no telling what the fates hold for Acker. Fellow second-year players Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell have guaranteed spots on the roster. Acker, like last season, does not.

If the Pistons sign a free agent like Chucky Atkins, Flip Murray or Tony Delk, there is a chance Acker would be set free.

"All I can do is approach this like it's a make-or-break summer," Acker said. "I am not taking no days off and I am going as hard as I can on every possession. I see a lot of guys out here who want it, but I want to be a contender, too. I am trying to stay in here and last as long as I can."

[Detroit Free Press]

As Ben joins Bulls, dealing to begin
    Today, it will be official: Ben Wallace will become a Chicago Bull and center Nazr Mohammed will join the Pistons.

After 11 days of working only on oral agreements, NBA free agents can sign contracts today. That means Wallace will officially bid Detroit adieu and become a $60-million man for the Bulls, and Mohammed will sign up to play in Detroit for five years (with the last year a player option) and $30 million.

.... With the moratorium over, today is also the first time teams can make trades. And the rumor mill does not lack for big names, as Philadelphia's Allen Iverson and (as always) Minnesota's Kevin Garnett have cropped up in media reports as potential trade bait. Big-name free agents like Atlanta's Al Harrington and Sacramento's Bonzi Wells are also still on the market and could be moved through sign-and-trades.

[Associated Press]

Porter confirms offer, says he will off on decision
    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Former Blazers point guard Terry Porter says the Pistons have offered him an assistant coaching job.

Porter is leading a group trying to raise enough money to buy the Portland Trail Blazers.

He says he won't make any decision on the Detroit offer until the attempt to buy the Blazers plays out.

[MLive.com]

FULL-COURT PRESS: NBA releases salary cap and luxury tax figures
    The National Basketball Association today announced that the Salary Cap for the 2006-07 season will be $53.135 million. The new Cap goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on Wednesday, July 12, when the league’s “moratorium period” ends and teams can begin signing free agents and making trades.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Chauncey Billups: I was tired
    "Honestly, I didn't take it that hard because, myself personally, I was spent," said Billups, a former University of Colorado star. "I was coming into games mentally strong and ready. And my body just wouldn't let me do what I do. I was just tired. Just burned out. And I've never had that feeling before."

ALSO:
    Tuesday's layup drill

[Need4Sheed.com]

The Wizard of NaZ
    It will become official today, when the NBA's moratorium on free agency ends and the Pistons sign Nazr Mohammed to deal with their mid level exception. Exact details will be announced but it's most likely that Detroit pays Nazr 5.2 million dollars a year, a drop in the bucket compared to what Chicago is spending on Ben Wallace.
  17. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

A read on CB, after the playoff exit: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4035153

WHY BEN WALLACE LEFT (source http://www.sportsinferno.com/TruthSpeak.php?ID=393)

We in the media did you a disservice by buying into the Pistons company line and down playing the night Ben Wallace refused to enter a game against Orlando during the regular season.
    We said it was no big deal and that things were handled. Ben was just trying to send a message to teammates who he felt no longer worked hard enough on the defensive end.
    Little did we know that a bad decision against a bad team was the beginning of the end for the Pistons.
    It opened wounds that were never closed. Now those wounds are being exposed again as Wallace leaves to sign a four year deal with the Chicago Bulls for $52 million. He reportedly told the Pistons he was moving on and accepting the Bulls free agent contract offer. The Pistons offered four years at $49.5 million.
    Don’t say this was all about money. You mean Ben can’t do without $625,000 a year for the next four years.
    The move puts the Pistons in a tough spot but Wallace might be moving on at the right time.
    There is no way he is worth a maximum contract and I believe he would be a player of diminishing return with the Pistons. He grew discontent over the past two years and his numbers are beginning to decline.
    Now we get to see if it was age (he is 32) or not wanting to be here led to his sometimes disinterested play.
    Three years ago Wallace averaged 6.9 points, 15.4 rebounds and 3.15 blocks a game. Last season he averaged 7.3 points, 10.7 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game. His game slipped off the radar during the playoffs (4.7 points, 10.5 rebounds and 1.22 blocks) and became a detriment to the Pistons.
    At least three NBA insiders told me Wallace lost money during the playoffs.
    Actually he didn’t. He was just losing interest in the Pistons.
    If you believe Wallace left because of money then you were not paying attention. One thing Wallace does a poor job of is hiding his feelings. You could see he was no longer happy here and probably felt unwanted. The Pistons stopped running plays for him. Often on offense he looked like the last kid picked during a play ground pick up game. He was ignored.
    He wanted to be more involved in the offense, but his offensive game was so pedestrian that all he did was hurt the Pistons. You gave Wallace the ball not because you expected him to score. You gave him the ball to keep him happy.
    That is not good enough.
    He also did not like Flip Saunders, an offensive minded coach. But Wallace also did not like Rick Carlisle and Larry Brown. Who did he want as coach? Bill Russell?
    So now a slow Fourth of July in Detroit ends filled with fire works. The Captain Steve Yzerman walks away from the Wings and now Big Ben walks away from the Pistons.
    When have two stars this big left this town in the span of hours?
    Both teams will struggle in the short term as they try to grow into new identities. At least for the Pistons this is a blessing in disguise. The league is changing into a more offensive-minded league that will be run by stars.
    It is time for the Pistons to move into the new era. A few years ago we panicked when Grant Hill left and Wallace came in. But the timing was perfect. We just did not know it at the time.
    Don’t be surprised if lightening strikes twice and Dumars works a sign and trade with the Bulls, bringing in Tyson Chandler so Ben can get maximum money.
    Even if that does not happen it will be a blessing in disguise.
  18. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

[Associated Press]

Pistons officially add Mohammed
    by Larry Lage

Nazr Mohammed probably won't be able to duplicate Ben Wallace's ability to defend, rebound and play with energy for the Detroit Pistons.

Mohammed, who essentially replaces Wallace in Detroit, can add more at the offensive end — and the center will cost about $9 million less next season.
  19. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Looks to be a slow news day, aside from whatever spectacle Chicago makes out of the Ben Wallace signing. Here's what we've got so far. Feel free to add whatever Pistons-oriented stuff you find -- it's been a big help.

[Detroit Free Press]

MITCH ALBOM: It's not what you say, it's where you sign
    "Were you surprised Ben left?" I asked Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations, on Wednesday.

"Surprised is probably not a word you use a lot in this business," he said. "We're disappointed we lost him ... but he took a bigger and better deal."

And in so doing, he is no different than most pro athletes. It's just that we thought he was. Ben Wallace made himself a player. But Detroit made him a star. The Pistons took him from a no-name Orlando Magic castoff and turned him into an icon, a hard hat hero. The Pistons celebrated his muscle, his hair, they put him on billboards and sold him as their "Goin' to Work" centerpiece.

In the end, it wasn't about going to work. It was about getting paid. And again, the only thing bothersome is that Wallace gave signals that it wasn't. He told me that being the highest-paid guy wasn't the only thing that mattered. Yet when the Pistons offered him around $12 million a year for four years -- the fattest salary ever offered a Detroit basketball player -- he asked for more. WAY more.

MICHAEL ROSENBERG: Pistons realize offense rules the NBA
    The Dallas and Miami players who played in the NBA Finals all have something in common: They failed to make the league's All-Defensive team. In fact, none even made the All-Defensive second team.

The last time that happened was 1981.

Dallas and Miami won with offense. Whoever wins next year will win largely because of offense. This is extremely frustrating to some old-school people, and one of those old-school people is Ben Wallace. Remember when he complained about the Pistons' emphasis on offense in the middle of the playoffs? That wasn't an isolated comment. It really bothered him.

But the Pistons had no choice. This isn't 2004. Coach Flip Saunders had to open up the offense to keep up with the rest of the league -- and that wasn't going to work for Ben, because that isn't his game.

Pistons offer Porter a coaching job
    PORTLAND, Ore. -- Former Blazers point guard Terry Porter says the Detroit Pistons have offered him an assistant coaching job.

Porter is leading a group trying to raise enough money to buy the Portland Trail Blazers. He says he won't make any decision on the Detroit offer until the attempt to buy the Blazers plays out ....

Notebook: With Wednesday being the first day free agents could sign contracts, center Nazr Mohammed is officially a Piston. The team made no official announcement, though. He will make about $30 million for five years.

[DetroitPistons.com]

Acker aiming high
    Jason Maxiell, a fellow rookie with Acker last season and current teammate in the summer league, has noticed the improvement in Acker’s play but is not surprised.

“Alex is a skilled player,” said Maxiell who’s averaging 14.5 points after two games. “Compared to last year, you can see this year he’s being more aggressive and at times he’s taking over the game.”

DAVE WIEME: Strictly Business
    You know what I am? I’m sad. It’s a gloomy July afternoon…the clouds are hanging low and it looks like it could rain any minute. It’s almost like the day knows that something sad is happening today and it is showing outwardly what I feel inside.

Ben was a great addition to this team. He was a guy you could admire because he brought himself up from nothing. He wasn’t drafted and he was only a role player on the early teams that took a chance on him. Even when he came to Detroit, he had a low profile, mostly known as one of the guys Joe Dumars got for Grant Hill.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.