Josh smith talks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Rudy Gay is offensively an about league average player with usage rate and salary like a super star, Torontos offense totally collapsed after the trade. The only reasons I would trade him for Stuckey and Chaz is that Gay actually is a pretty good defender and the contract only being two years.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, not too excited about Rudy Gay, but I am excited about the fact Joe is trying to find suitors for Sticky and BOT.

PS - If CV went back to the Raptors would he become a dino-BOT?

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think people's biggest issue with Rudy is the amount of money he makes- but doesn't earn; but is that his fault? NO! He didn't overpay himself, blame the idiot GM who signed him. Rudy is a 6'9" SF that can get you 20ppg and those guys dont grow on trees. Would I give up Monroe to get him......not sure, but if you have Josh Smith logging minutes at PF and playing at a high level, I would have to consider it. The Nets gave up Derrick Favors for Derron Williams and that turned out to be a VERY smart move.

4. Mogilny

Who cares if it is his fault, your fault or the Grizzlies fault that he's paid alot of money? The money still has to be paid. Deron Williams was a top 5 PG at the time of the trade, Gay is not a top 10 SF.

webz and coynejeremy like this.
  5. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I would rather have Rudy Gay as my starter the next two years at SF than Singler. And that is really the question we should ask if the deal (CV and Stuckey) is the maximum Joe gives. Now, if he trades for Gay then goes and re-ups him for 5 years well, that is another story. I scan the horizon and see unimpressive options on the Wing. Korver for 8 million / year? No way. Would Gay be overpaid for the next 2 years? Sure. But he is a clear upgrade. Now, that doesn't mean he is the future, but we have the future in Monore / Drummond or whatever they can fetch in a trade. The money (90% at least) has to be spent, and Gay is better than the pu pu platter of the FA scrap heap any day of the week. Plus, with all the tanking teams are doing, it will be very tough to keep our draft choice. We are aresdy better than most of these teams: ATL, Orlando, Bucks, Charlotte, etc. We are trading the two most hated players for a productive (20 ppg) player. Inefficient, for sure. But a great bridge from the Table Cloth years to whatever the future holds. But Joe if you are listening, do not extend him.

The Panda likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If there's any chance to unload CV and Hadron in one move, you do it "irregardless" of what you get in return. If that return ends up being Rudy Gay, ok whatever. Maybe we can throw in a second rounder and JJ or Slava to sweeten the deal for the Raptows.

kpaav, The Panda and BillLaimbeer like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We can unload them for cold hard cash in 1 year. Why take on a guy for 2 years in exchange when next year's FA class is the echo of the 2003 draft (Melo, Bosh, Lebron, Wade, etc)?

Laimbrane, coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  9. max

max All-Star

What concerns me about Monroe is what he is going to ask for next summer, is he going to be worth max dollars and will someone else be willing to pay it if we dont.

10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Rudy Gay would be the best player on our team by a long way. And he is a good defender. Ill take it.

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, this club needs someone who can create their own shots. Irony of all this, I believe that we lose Monroe regardless and anything you pick up from that S/T will not be anywhere near the quality product of Gay.
    JD needs to work with Ujiri, which probably means that Knight might swing the deal. Everyone talks (on the receiving side) about draft picks, but the real GM's get it done by trades and if Ujiri doesn't know that, then he soon will. Another couple of issues with Ujiri: Knight has much more upswing that Lowry as far as growth and being a better shooter. If Ujiri is going to clean house and have maximum flexibility, he won't want Gay's option being taken up (no doubt at 19M he will) and having to deal with that problem next year where the Draft and FA/Trade slips off into madness. Finally, it seems that from what is being reported, he wants a clean slate. Then he should know what every new GM finally understands is that you get that first year before the doubts start creeping in, especially in a rebuild phase. Ainge knows this, that's why he went with a 33 year old to take the heat.

12. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Pass99 - What gives you the idea that Monroe is gone?

13. pass99

The most obvious being, he wasn't (or shall we say his agent wasn't) being forthright (surprise, surprise). Greg Monroe contract: Forward's agent says extension talks will wait - Detroit Bad Boys. Actually, seeing the current state of the Pistons, his agent is being exceptionally prudent. I have no problem with that.

The rest of my take is subjective and I won't take this further: I will make enough new enemies. He's smart, but that smartness has an intimation limitation. He is 6-11 (notice how the smaller bodies will give everything for that extra inch and these top-ended guys always stop short of an inch; must be something about that 84 inch abyss) and 260 pounds. I freeze every time he must attempt a put-back from underneath the basket. It's like I see the double of K. Brown. Dunk the damn thing! But it's hard for him! He probably has tiny and delicate ankles...or no hands. Ok, enough...I am be facetious. But can we see some roadblocks here? As you move out from the 5 position to the 4, your mobility and athleticism, must increase. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules on that distant level; because the further away from the basket, all challenges and chances that could create mistakes, will be made and proportionally increased. He has good court vision and this makes him an adept passer provided he has space (notice this advantage, how is strength is moving out), but I am not impressed on his aggressiveness in being quick enough in using that 260 pound, 83 inch body for the pick/roll. Looking left to right of him, I see a Drummond (at 82 inches) and then Mitchell, with a midget size of 80 inches. I don't know about these things, but it seems that both these guys like dunking with their elbows. Could be their ankle size.

14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I'm up and down about trading Monroe. I think that it depends on the circumstances. If you have a chance to get Rondo for Monroe + Stuckey or CV, I think, that you have to take that trade. If that is combined with picking up a player like Josh Smith in FA, then its a total no brainer. Why? Because Rondo + Smith make this team both a lock to make the playoffs, and give it a pretty good shot at getting past the first round.

Trading Monroe for Rudy Gay however, is not a prudent decision.

15. Mogilny

No, he would be pretty far from the best player on our team.

Jackattaq likes this.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rudy Gay would be Ben Gordon all over again.

Laimbrane likes this.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You think he'd have to come off the bench behind Kyle Singler? The Pistons fired Lawrence Frank.

18. pass99

That's what they want and I can see that it would be a calming presence for JV. Depends if they want to wait another year to re-tool. Like I said, Knight would be a very good pickup, as a secondary choice.

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I just don't see how Rondo would help open up the lane for Stuckey. We need shooters that can space the floor so Rodney can finally have his breakout season.

KGREG and Walter like this.
  20. pass99

Stop all this! The Pistons are not going to hire you.

kpaav likes this.