Breaking News Josh Smith Signs With Pistons...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jul 6, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not hoping for him either, but there have been rumors that Joe is looking that direction. If we can get him without unloading Monroe, that is more tolerable and could work out well. But the ACL and the personality are wildcards.
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Wildcards?? Thats a VERY underwhelming opinion. LOL That is the ONLY card.
  3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

BTW- Trey Burke today. 8 pts, 7 rebounds, 5 assists........oy!
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not sure if we're on the same page. Just saying that we don't know how his recovery will pan out and we don't know if his attitude will be an issue in a new environment and coach. If both those are OK, then he would be a great addition. No way of knowing though, so Joe would have to take a flyer.
  5. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Oden is low risk, high upside if you get him on a non guaranteed or properly worded contract for a low rate of pay. But this is a guy who has had multiple surgeries on his knees and hasn't played in years. What do you expect? We may as well get Vernon Macklin back, at least we know what we are getting there.

Rondo is a fiery competitor. This team desperately needs that and he will mesh really well with guys like BK who leave their heart on the floor. His ACL will be fine.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

YOU FORGOT 1 FOR 12 SHOOTING...........OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
    coynejeremy likes this.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Summer league stats have to be the lowest form of remote fan analysis.

The games are barely more than scrimmages, the coaching is nonexistent, and the talent level is all over the board.

Burke and Pope will be judged by what they do against Kobe and Chris Paul.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Have the feeling they'll go 2-22 in that scenario as well...
    KGREG and roscoe36 like this.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

There's a lot of talk on the internet about how bad the Josh Smith signing is but I see it the opposite. I agree he's not a great fit but right now, is he better than Singler? Yes. virtually everyone hating on the acquisition bring up Smith's jump shooting and ballhandling shortcomings. Nobody is talking about his defense. We have a legit 3 defender. The other thing is Drummond. The guy is still a few years away from full time domination. If you watch his summer league play, its hard to imagine he spent time with Olajuwon. He has no ability to seal a defender to any side of his body. He does the weakest, in place turn around jumper. Its not advanced technique. We're not even talking a drop step. As long as Drummond gets his time, we'll be fine but there's a ton of room for the three of them for now.

I think the negatives are over blown.
  10. max

max All-Star

I love this signing. Critics always point out his bad shooting. We are not signing a frigging shooting guard here or some sissy thats going to play away from the rim and take J's all night, We are signing the best front court guy on the market - a near all-star for about what BG was making. Its a good deal and shows that the Pistons are an up and comming team. We are getting a great defender, rebounder, and post player.
    tnt1960, roscoe36 and Slippy like this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Its more a problem of his usage rate combined with where he takes his shots.

If we sign another semi stud and keep his usage rate to around 20% and focus him in transition/post work he could easily become a scarily efficient option. He shoots 65+% in the restricted area.
  12. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I agree with you. A lot of people are making it seem like Josh Smith can't shoot at all. On the contrary, he actually has a serviceable mid-range shot, much like Tayshaun did. It's his there's and shot selections that he struggled with.

One question though. Has Drummond already worked out with Olajuwon? I thought he was doing that after the summer league games? He did miss a lot of easy shots though but he did seem a lot more aggressive defensively than usual. I dare say that he'll be a better and bigger version of Dwight Howard in the near future.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i read he'll work out after. I have a problem with Drummonds footwork. He has the balance but its like nobody bothered to teach him the post game and instead just watched him jump over guys and dunk.
  14. roscoe36

I don't think it's automatic that Andre starts so I think we can expect Josh at the 4 on opening night.
    KGREG likes this.
  15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Unless we get a good 3 signing in the FA market, I think its pretty close to in ink that we'll be starting Smith at the 3. I think he'll play most of his mins at the 4 though. Drummond isn't going to jump from 20 to 40 mins.... I think he'll be in the 30 min mark average. With Drummond starting its easier to control his mins and probably get more mins out of him. Sounded like he got winded again yesterday which seemed to be a problem last year. Folks have to remember he is just a baby still.
  16. roscoe36

I think those of you who think Andre is going to play 30+ minutes are going to be disappointed. I think Andre will get more regular minutes, in more games. How many he starts remains to be seen.
  17. BillLaimbeer

I think Drummond will start all 82 games, but I agree about the minutes. I think he will average 28-30 minutes per game. He seems to tire quickly, which is understandable the way he plays. He looked gassed a couple times in yesterday's game. I wonder how much conditioning he actually does.
  18. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I absolutely agree. Signing Rasheed as an assistant coach and working out with Olajuwon should help a ton though. I'm excited :D
    Susie914 likes this.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't think Drummond has ever been properly coached or taught the game. We need to fly Dream in EVERY week to work with the kid.
  20. BillLaimbeer

Drummond has been working on a baby hook. He didn't try it yesterday, though. The Piston plan is to force feed him in the post during the summer league so he gets more comfortable down there. He seemed to rush his offensive moves when they did feed it to him yesterday. Setting a screen and then rolling to the hoop for an alley oop slam dunk seems to be his best move at this point. His second best move is missing a shot and tipping in his own missed shot before his defender realizes what has happened.