Josh Smith or Greg Monroe?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 17, 2014.

?

What is your preference?

1. Keep Smith (3yrs/$14m)

52.0%
  2. Keep Monroe (approx 5yrs/$12m)

48.0%
  1. junior

junior Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unless there is an injury, just does not seem like there is any capacity for Monroe to play out of his mind to garner that kind of money.

The guy would probably play 28-30 minutes in between PF and C.

That's fewer minutes than he got the last three years.

He had the same wins shared last year and two years ago (5.9).

Unless he magically becomes a great shooter or great defender, with fewer minutes and a very similar situation to the one the past two years, does not seem to me like he could dramatically improve his chances of getting more money.

On the other hand, he could find a better situation (for him) or a bigger stage to play on in LA or NY.

That might be the deciding factor, but we've got until October until he has to decide....the waiting game continues.

brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If there is any truth to that rumor he must be really disgusted to play for the Pistons. No just the risk, he's giving up alot of money if he takes the QA.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If he takes the qualifying offer, that's the only reasonable explanation.

As mentioned, his value will probably be lower next year. There is a great chance he will come off the bench this year.

4. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Not only is their risk taking the QO due to injury etc., but you LOSE an entire year of earning potential. That is money you can never get back. He needed to be up front if he really wanted to leave and then may be the Pistons could have been more aggressive in pursuing trades. Either way, it looks like he loses no matter what now.

Nemo likes this.
  5. Mogilny

Only 17 players have accepted the qualifying offer since 1995.
    The list doesn't include many superstars. The biggest name is probably Bengo.

Players Who've Signed Qualifying Offers

Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Also, he's not guaranteed minutes or touches, this is a risky proposition for him.

Mogilny likes this.
  7. max

max All-Star

I am starting to wonder if we should be tying up a lot of money in him now. No one wanted him.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

There are too many possibilities in which Monroe shows up this October to play for us...in a pissed off mood.

9. BillLaimbeer

I think it will be the total opposite. If he signs the qualifying offer, he will be on a playing in a HUGE contract year. He will be playing for the biggest payoff in his life. He should be more motivated than ever.

roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good depth player. It would help our rotation a bit to sign him.

Oh, and as for my vote, keep both Monroe and Smith. Add more quality players to the rotation, while keeping the ones we have. We were not the worst team in the league last season at times because of a mismatch between Smith and Monroe, we simply played too many guys who could not play the positions we asked them to play, in this league.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Unless we suck...he plays less than 25 minutes per...he's unable to shake off the big disappointment.

I just see too many reasons for him to fold.

12. kpaav

I agree 100%. A slow footed, non-shooting, and non-rim protecting big men is a huge risk to sign for big money. Monroe does have serious post and passing skills, but there is one particular game I always remember that reminds me these specific skills don't win many games - at least the ones that count in May. It was the Houston-PDX game this year when Dwight had like 30 points in the first half and the team literally was / had to feed him in the post on EVERY possession. It was painfully obvious they were force feeding him and he was LOVING it. And he scored EVERY time. However, the team never gained a huge advantage nor did they win. This is because basketball is so much more talented then back in the day, and contributions must be made on both sides of the floor from most / all players. Once those touches didn't go in at a 95% rate, the rest of the team was beyond ice cold, the whole game plan was destroyed and the series lost.

Important: Now, I think if the game plan is to force feed a post player, then this is a strategy that can work. In my opinion, though, the post player must be All-world and worth the time to construct such a focused plan. Think Shaq from 1999-2004. Monore is not Shaq and his game won't punish the other teams defense nor will he be that consistently successful. Plain and simple, this is a pick n roll + shooting and fast break league now.

My prediction reading between the lines - Monroe comes off the bench this year and leaves after the season / is traded. As bad of a shooter Smith is - he probably can hit 36-38% 3ptFG% as a PF when limiting his shot selection to more appropriate times and his defense, play making and athleticism are still a major +. This is a type of player Van Gundy wants next to his Big Man (Drummond). We see by the signings of Augustin and drafting of Dinwiddie that SVG is not going to wait or try to fit in Joe D guys (Jennings) into his system and Monroe is a Joe D guy. At this point, if SVG wanted Monroe the deal would be done. We can haggle the price of max vs. 13 vs 12 million a year, but if any of those types of numbers were offered I can't see them being turned down. I honestly think NO legitimate offer has been made.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. Mogilny

Josh Smith is never going to be close to 36-38 3ptFG% no matter how he limits his shot selection.

Nemo and kpaav like this.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm not sure that it's a given that Monroe is the one that will come off the bench.
    SVG might stick Smitty in that roll.

15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Smith shooting above league average from 3? Seriously. That will never happen because he just isn't a shooter. He has bad mechanics and doesn't pick his spots

16. Mogilny

More smoke!

Greg Monroe to sign Pistons' offer, delays free agency

17. BillLaimbeer

Now he cannot be traded without his consent.

roscoe36 likes this.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lol

kpaav likes this.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Unless he gets a max contract next summer (I find that highly unlikely) this is bad call... he's losing 5 million dollars this year alone, and he's not put him in the best of situations to show he's worth more next summer then he is right now. For Detroit we should get a player who shows up everyday in good shape mind and body to play.... unless he's stupid...

Personally I think he's gotten bad advice this summer. He's a solid player, but not a max player or a player you can build your team around.... a great 3rd option/stat sheet stuffer.

max likes this.
  20. kpaav

HA. I meant 30-35% Yes. No way Smoove ever hits above that. Basing the 30-35% off of the year he averaged 2 a year and shot 33%.

Mogilny likes this.