Josh Smith and the threes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Nov 6, 2013.

1. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

See. I think within the structure of the Pistons he is going to average a career high. With both Drummond and Monroe there are going to be a lot of perimeter opportunities that someone needs to take.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think he'll use more descretion as time goes on. What I absolutely do NOT want to see is Smoove running to the 3 pt line in transition. The truth of the matter is that Smoove isn't a very good offensive player, he's actually more of a glue guy/garbage man.......but he does those things at a superstar level and in spite of having some issues offensively he can still get you about 16/17ppg. I mean watching this guy play is really quite amazing to me.
    kpaav, Nemo and linwood like this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Playing lineups that feature shooters should cause Smith to take less threes.
    Walter likes this.
  4. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have noticed that too. He is not a shooter from any distance. Nor does he have great post up moves. He isn't the best finisher. But he kills it on the court somehow. Man,
    if we could just get a killer wing scorer to go along with Drummond and Smith it would e beautiful.
  5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

well, here we go (roto):
  6. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I think his bad shots are credited by our lack of ball movement and perimeter shooters. They always run an iso on the paint and everyone just stands on the perimeter without setting screens or cutting to the basket. Last night I saw 4 Warriors defenders camping in the paint and no one was moving around at all. Kinda frustrating to see :(
    Ernie the Slow Adult and KGREG like this.
  7. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

He's garbage/glue guy who can do a little of everything. He's a solid on the ball defender against swingmen, although you don't want him defending on the perimeter all game. He's a very talented interior defender, both on his man and helping. He's not a great rebounder, but he gets you those tough, contested boards when you need them. He's not a low post wizard, but he has a nice little spin move down there. He runs the floor like a gazelle. He can shoot the three very well, if he's open. Unfortunately 80%+ of his three point attempt seem to be contested.

If he could limit his threes to 2-3 open attempts a game, then he could probably shoot close to 40%. He'll never do that though.

It's almost as if he agrees to do a lot of team-oriented dirty work, but he charges you 6-7 questionable shots per game in return.

I think that he's considered a star because he's good for 3-4 WOW! plays a game. He can do things physically that only Lebron can do.

He's a garbage man with all-star talent. Very strange player.
    brofmfa, KGREG, linwood and 1 other person like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I don't agree that he is a garbage man. The problem is that he tries to be a jack of all trades. Including dead-eye jump shooter.

If we turn into a transition team, Josh Smith is second only to Lebron. He is fast and if made to go to the bucket, will score often and spectacularly. Jennings and him will make an incredible tandem.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Exactly! But I truly love his game and gladly take the bad with the good, except the poor perimeter defense. He also needs to stop popping when they run a pick and roll, he needs to ROLL!!!!
  10. J-Train

I can see why Panda doesn't think of him a a garbage guy. Garbage guys usually don't create their own offense. I view him as something of a garbage guy because he doesn't get many plays run for him. Even in Atlanta, the plays run for him were mostly high/low stuff, and that was mostly for Horford. They would occasionally call a post play for him, if they thought they had a mismatch, but it wasn't a big part of their offense.

The problem with Smith's shot selection is that sometimes he'll just decide to shoot the ball wherever he gets it. He doesn't care if it's a bad shot or a good shot. He's just going to shoot it. He'll do this about 7 times a game. You can watch his brain work when he receives the pass. He catches the pass, and he starts thinking, "Can I get past this guy? No. He daring me to shoot it. Screw it. I'm shooting it.". He makes just enough of them to delude himself that it isn't a horrible shot.

That's the main problem with playing him at the small forward position. At that position, he receives the ball outside the arch. So, about 7 times a game, he says, "Screw it. I'm taking this contested three." He's taking the three point shot because that's just where he happens to be. When he was in Atlanta, and playing mostly power forward, he would receive the ball 17-18 feet from the basket. So, instead of taking contested threes, he would take contested long twos.

It's just part of his game.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

With all these talented bigs we have, we should be running pick-n-rolls non-stop. Our uninspiring and uncreative offense is purely on the coach. One wonders what this team can be capable of in the hands of Jerry Sloan.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. J-Train

P&R and high/low post should be at least 50 % of our offense. Fill the rest out with give and goes to Monroe on the low block, and the occasional Jennings/Smith chucks, and either Stuckey super-colliding or Bynum's Teenwolf impression.

Run on every opportunity.
  13. The Panda

Agreed. We also have a lot of speed and finishing on our team. Why not George Karl??

Smith at the 3 has been shocking thus far. Our team doesn't really run any good cuts. In fact, I would say about 50% of the plays I have seen so far have started with a pick set by Josh smith on the 3 pt line followed by a handoff or a feint. This should never happen.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons run the screen and roll like me and Panda, J-Train, Walt and KGREG would on the fly in a pickup game.

It is the most rudimentary version of it possible.

I read Zach Lowe's pieces where he's talking about teams running secondary pick and rolls from all these deceptive positions and the Pistons don't seem to do that. It's one and done.

They look like they're playing with a bowling ball.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Smith likes to camp out at what are traditionally the spots with the lowest shooting percentages, but the Pistons do seem to like going to him there when their "plays" breakdown.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Smith assists way too well for a garbage man. One of our best looking repeated moves this year is when he drives to the paint and draws Andre's man, and dishes it to him like a PG.

An all out running attack would be good for this team since we have the athletes to run and cause the most turnovers in the league. Also, our eFG allowed is dead last in the NBA, so if we give up some easy buckets in the sloppy running game, it's not much worse than now.

Also, what about zone defense and what about a full court press? NBA players break the press I know, but we have some extreme athletes with Jennings/Pope/Smith/Monroe/Drum. Would be really jarring to just come right out of the gate with it to junk up the games and make it all about instincts instead of designed offenses. Only 8 seconds to get across mid court in the pros. Could be really effective against certain teams.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'd rather they try getting back on D, covering someone and rebounding the ball before they resort to gimmicks.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It's as if he trying to prove the scouting report wrong. He needs to MOVE and CUT more! He also needs to work to get 2 or3spots on the floor where he's money. Most guys in the NBA arent great shooters, they just work to get shots in their spots.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We're just lucky that there isn't a 4-point line in the NBA>
    kpaav, Nemo and linwood like this.
  20. The Panda

Its embarrassing. Our most complex play is a high pick with Jennings and Smith, where Chauncey camps in the corner and Monroe rolls to the free throw line. Drummond stays weakside baseline. Its a good play if you run it on the fly, quickly. But somehow our guys make it look like they are trying to do complex algebra. Everything stutters and is generally slow.
    KGREG and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.