Joe's, and Rasheed's, biggest challenges

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by cwolfson, Jul 3, 2006.

1. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

Now we'll see what Joe Dumars is really made of. He's had an amazing track record to this point, with only one (huge Darko) stumble.

And we'll see what Rasheed is made of, when he ends up replacing Ben in the middle and as the team leader. He has to be a better option than any other, and if ... IF ... McDyess can handle starting physically, offensively we've gotten a big boost.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd have to say Joe D. has made more than one mistake so far.

I'm not a Joe hater, but his draft record ain't all that hot, he hasn't really done much to improve this team in a couple of years and hiring Flip hasn't turned out so great either.

I don't expect him to be perfect, but now would be a great time to work some magic!!!! :fingerscr

3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I believe that without Ben, Sheed is going to be exposed. I think he more than any of the other starters was the beneficiary of Ben's intangibles. Ben made Sheed look good. Better than he is going to look without him. We'll see.

I don't see Sheed liking the day in and day out pressure of being the team leader either. Sheed likes to disappear. And we know that Chauncey likes being the team leader but is not good at it. What a mess. What a huge mess of bad chemistry one guy's departure could cause.

4. max

max All-Star

He played a lot better in Portland than he has here so far.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm thinking Sheed will be next to go.. Joe's plan was to keep the 6 together... that plan is out the window.
    Joe's got something going on... this otta be interesting.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe a block buster trade with Sheed is in order to further shake up this team!!!

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This was such a great group. We thought it was just about winning and all these guys got bigheaded and it didn't end up that way. The core is about to blow up just watch.

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

perhaps rasheed was allowed to be lazier w/ben around, but i don't agree that ben made sheed look good. he is one of the best inside/outside players in the game, a great defender, and has a very high basketball IQ. it's too bad his ankle injury came at such an inopportune time.

9. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Is it time to dust off the Sheed for Garnett Thread again??????

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

They don't call C-Bill#1 the Mayor for nothing. Relax you're going to like it.:) :nod:

11. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Agreed that we can't even speculate on a starting lineup at this point. But whomever's left of the four remainders, I'd expect those guys to realize that they pissed away a ring in 2005 and are going to treasure playoff runs a lot more now. There'll be some resolve in that group, and I think Sheed's capable of being in it. Sheed's still one of the best man defenders in the post, and that's something you don't need Ben Wallace in order to do. Keeping Sheed's a bit risky, esp. if we don't plan to fire Flip and get a real coach, but there's nobody that can replace him as a defender. I'd rather move some backcourt pieces.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

If you don't think Sheed made Ben look good, you've probably blocked out the inconvenient memory of Jeff Foster kicking his butt on the offensive boards before the second Wallace came. Or Jermaine O'Neal and Kenyon Martin scoring over him in the post during playoffs.

But it's true that Sheed has to step up. He doesn't have to do it all, but he has to do more on the boards and he can't afford to coast. For the record I think he'll be fine.

13. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

We have no C on our team, period.

We have Sheed, and 2 really good PF prospects.

Is the answer not obvious?

I'd also like to add Joe's track record has not been "amazing" since 2004. Every decision since then has been the wrong one.

14. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I was just thinking that myself. But what we really need is another find like Ben was in his prime, and I bet that's what Joe is searching for now.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I guess he thinks it's nazr mohamad:doh:. Unless Nazr shows a defensive side we've never seen from him our identity has totally changed.

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

You mean like Dice? Like a #56 pick who scores 18 points in the first real game action he ever sees? Or the lousy coach who somehow helped us win 64 games and had you and everybody else sizing a championship ring in May?

Believe what you want. Doesn't matter, because when things go right you'll forget you ever complained. Just live in the moment, holding Dumars accountable for every little growl in your tummy. Don't bother asking yourself how many times Joe's had an easy one to get right. All the teams that are making you envious with their moves will soon learn that it's a lot easier to get good than it is to stay great.

Whatever. I'm out.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It's harder for Joe D. to work his magic now. Before we were nothing so teams were not scared of trading us players. People have seen that Joe can find great players, and after we became great other teams are unwilling to trade there guys to us because Joe might see they have potential. We will definantly be under the radar. This time it's going to be extremely hard to prove ourselves since our heart is gone.

18. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

We haven't won since then have we? We had 3 years and could've won them all, the window is now closed.

19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I don't think that's Joe's fault, save for the Flip hire. We couldn't know that our guys, who were so likeable in 2004, were going to turn fatally arrogant overnight. Yes, teams suffer a loss in drive when they win the ring, but our guys got that in spades.

It's definitely Joe's fault that we don't have Darko right now. Even if he's no long-term answer, which he isn't, we could have used him for now, boosted his trade value and gotten something done. A Billups/Darko package would fetch a lot.

20. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

"A Darko and Billups package would fetch alot." If it were the Pistons acquiring it, rather than trading it away, what would you say? I'm always amazed at how fans think players they rubbish would have great trade value.