Joe should go after Amare

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Stuckey.And1, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Stuckey.And1

Stuckey.And1 First Round Draft Pick

The pick and roll with Stuckey would be sick. A package involving Sheed would be ideal. I'd be sorry to see Sheed go but business is business. His veteran defense doesn't outweigh that kind of scoring ability and youth. Besides, he's never been a great rebounder.

Sources: Suns ponder deals for Stoudemire - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We'd need to pick up a couple of solid outside shooters as well, because our current lineup doesn't have anyone of that sort to prevent teams from doubling Amare or clogging the lane.

Otherwise Stuckey and Rip (and AI if he sticks around) would have to develop a respectable 3 point shot.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

True. He is probably the best possible P&R partner for Stuckey. Especially since Amare's jumper has improved. Plus, he gets to the line a lot.
  4. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Entertaining? Yes.

Playoff winning? I don't think so.

Amare Stoudemire has clearly not bought into Porter's program. "You've got to play free," Stoudemire said. "Any time you play with stipulations, it's kind of hard to play your game. ... You want it to be organized basketball. But you want to have some type of playground atmosphere where everybody is having fun. That's what we need."

From King to Obama, Knick fixture Cal Ramsey has been an eyewitness to history

If the quote above is anything to go by, Amare is a few rebounds short of a triple double as far as how to win in the post season. Playground atmosphere? Come on man, you meant to be a pro.

PJ has had amazing success with the triple-post offense. To watch adequately skilled post men play in this offense is a thing of beauty. "Playground atmosphere" be damned. Witness the kobe to LO in the high post to the cutting Gasol for the point blank finish in the recent win over the Cs.

My point being that Amare is not the polished and flexible big man that one would ideally have in attempting to go deep into the post season. He seems to want to get by on his athleticism and little else. Nor does he bring an ounce of leadership. I think his attitude also clearly stinks.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good points.
  6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

As with all trades, it might help to see who moves off the mountain top to pick the berries. There is a natural pipeline going on here between the two GMs. Agreements have to come down to practical realism and the hints are out there:

• Both have made statements of all but one.
    • Both have discontents on the team.
    • Both have multiple talents that are not meshing.
    • Both have some youth, minor bench and aging talent.
    • Both have historic club ownership bordering on frugal business standards.
    • Both GMs are highly analytical, but operate on sub-par standards when in panic mode.
    • Both have HCs that are untried; former players; even personalities; and have that distinguishing limp brought on by team myths that belong to an industrialized nation long past.
    • Both have a selective desire list blessed with the right shade of lipstick for the moment. JD likes a hyperactive big and Kerr has always liked Rip. And it won't stop there.
    • Both know the game, but it seems to me that each bring a different perspective toward the concepts of problem solving. It is the classic case of duality:
    The Hedgehog and the Fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO you can't trade him for Sheed. It makes us significantly worse since Amare is overrated, but Amare with Sheed would be an improvement regardless of his other attributes.

I too have dreams about the pick and roll with Stuck LOL.

They are willing to take expirings and/or young talent.

The rumors right now are Aldrighe for Amare, and then something with MEM that includes Rudy Gay, Warrick, and maybe Darko ? or Conley? I'm not sure who the last person was.

I wonder if they would take AI;s contract/Max/Hermann or something similar to that. Although those other deals if true would be better. It depends on whether they want cap space, or young talent more,
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Amare has great hands too. The Nash-Stoudemire pick and roll was nearly unstoppable in Phoenix and I imagine it could be great with Stuckey because he is a much better driver and finisher than Nash is or was.

BUT there are so many negatives to Stoudemire's game (lack of defense, doesn't pay attention to detail, not a great rebounder, poor attitude) that would lead me away from ever trying to trade for him.

And trading him FOR Sheed would be a mistake IMO. Sheed and Amare together could really work because their game compliments each others so well. You don't want to be forced to start another stiff out there at the Center position... that'll negate his effectiveness some.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Great post. Couldn't agree more.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Very excellent points.
  11. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

One of the websites I have read said that one trade that the Suns should do is trade Amare for Rasheed what do you guys think of that kind of deal?

Suns more willing to deal Stoudemire
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amare ranks 61st among centers in rebounds per minute, 65th in blocks per minute. So on average, there are two centers on each NBA team who rebound better.

If you count him as a four, he ranks 36th in blocks per minute, right alongside that defensive stalwart Donyell Marshall. He's 48th among PFs in boards per minute.

There is no evidence whatsoever that he can score without Nash spoonfeeding him the ball exactly where he needs it. He has zero post moves. And he's a whiner.

What's to love?
  13. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Why would the Suns trade their biggest asset for a 34 year old center on the decline? In order for the Pistons to get Amare, they would have to give up Stuckey. If not Stuckey, the package would have to include a significant player, not just Sheed. I think Amare has a worse attitude that Sheed.
  14. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

No Offense, but when you can pick up a young energetic big in Amar'e you bite.

Yes Mike D'ummy gave him free rein, but look at the numbers when he did have free rein!!!
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you do if the big man doesn't play like one and requires spoon feeding to score. He would fit in with the Pistons pre Stuckey and AI - a bunch of guys who can't get their own shot.

P.S. Why does NBA.com spell his name Amar'e?
  16. Latinoking90

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I would imagine the Suns are looking to dump payroll. Isn't Amir a free agent after the season?
  18. Latinoking90

Amir is a free agent in 2010.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is it possible that his rebounds/blocks are down because of Shaq? Was there a drop off when Shaq came aboard?

Also, wondering about both his defense and offense. When a guy plays for the Suns and with Nash, you have to do some serious analysis on how different that player will be out of that system.

How did Marion drop off when he was out of there?

And what about just getting Shaq to go along with Sheed/Dyess/Amir/Max/Brown? That would be some serious beef.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think Amare is hopeless defensively. I've seen him play with effort and while he's not winning a DPOY anytime soon, he can be adequate. He does have some skills. More than anything it seems effort related, and then the Suns guards are so bad, it's basically a line for the opposing players directly into the paint. He also seems to have ADD when it comes to defense.

On offense, his previous numbers could be inflated. He's more of a finisher around the rim and pick and roll player than a post-up guy from what i've seen (Although he can post up). Suns fans say that there's basically no room in the paint anymore and the floor is no longer spread so there's no room for Amare to operate the way he used to. Whether that includes being unable to be effective without running, or is just a space problem, i'm not sure.

Also alot of Suns fans attributed the drop off in Amare's #'s (rebounding esp) to Shaq, but the general sentiment now is that Amare is either a whiner or not giving effort or both. He hates Porter, but it seems the rest of the team is as comatose as he is (besides Shaq).

I'd take a chance on him just because it ha spotential to work very well, and we desperately need scoring in the paint. Joe could always not extend him and see how it goes until 2010. He's not a max player, and doesn't deserve to be paid by one and that could be a point of contention for both sides.

Shaq on the Pistons would be really strange.