Jalen Rose: It's about time brother

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Mar 29, 2011.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Grant Hill's Response to Jalen Rose - NYTimes.com

So my man Jalen is catching some flack right now over some statements he made about cats from Duke, like he didn't know that Duke didn't want ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with him...like his agent didn't tell him precisely WHY.

Sure it may be controversial, but hopefully we can keep it civil.

IMO, perhaps Jalen should have worded his thoughts differently. Perhaps he should have said that Duke recruits were silver spoon mouthed cats for the most part, and this certain prerequisite EXCLUDED HIM.

ps- I used the absolute most extensive Grant Hill response that I could, as to not disparage his side of the discussion, even though I may understand why Jalen feels the way he feels from a standpoint of life experience more so than that of Grant Hill.

Your thoughts?

Discuss.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I haven't seen the documentary, but this was a great article by Grant Hill. Very articulate and very classy. In an age where endless pissing matches of escalating name calling has become the de facto standard for intelligent debate, articles like these are refreshing reminders of the possibility of a more civil world.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, Walter. I truly wish I were as articulate as Grant Hill.

I had written up a pretty long post for this thread, earlier this morning, but I wasn't sure I could get my meaning across without sounding more ignorant than I actually am (tough to do) and without unintentionally offending someone.

(I thoroughly enjoy offending people on the forum, but only when I intend to do so...:pound:)
  4. Darth Tater

Ok, I got the opinion of someone I really respect and they thought this was OK to post:

I think Jalen Rose has a very valid point about Duke's "recruiting standards/philosophies, techniques (I'm trying to say this right). However, I think the Uncle Tom comment was way out of line, spiteful and just bitterness on his part. I don't think Hill and the people who played for Duke deserved that.

The school HAS been one of the most successful college basketball programs for many years. Michigan State is successful too, but they lost a couple of guys this year due to...something...and it pretty much destroyed the entire season.

Did anyone here ever read that book. (Let me digress for a moment. When I was a child of maybe 8 or 9, I began reading that book after my mother suggested it (I was a good reader for my age). I believe it was the only book I put down and never finished reading. I'm not sure why I did.But for many years after that I promised myself that I would finish it. That it was somehow very important. I put it off for over 40 years and then I finally read it a year or two ago.

For me, that was the most powerful book I ever read in my life. It literally had me sobbing in several parts. I put it down for about three months because I just couldn't bear to read what I knew was inevitable.

I know people make fun of it, say that it is condescending (which is true in some ways but at the time it was the only way the lady could get her message across, and probably had some of those misconceptions herself. Anyhow, Yeah. I get the Uncle Tom connotation part and all. But Uncle Tom was the HERO. He was no doubt a man who was noble, wise and lived with total integrity.

The book really shows people (probably mostly "whites", like myself, who didn't know...didn't WANT to know the extent of the horrors of that day. My own relatives experienced the holocaust and I can't even think about reading anything related to that.

Seriously, I forgot where I was going with all of this. But I've got a pretty strong feeling Jalen never read the book.

I do want to say that

This final comment was classic, IMO.

"I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five". BAM!!
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Stowe wrote the book in response to the "Bloodhound" Acts which were enacted to return runaway slaves to their owners. It was the most popular book sold in the 19th century. Sad that the nobleness of the main character has been lost by many. One of my college degrees includes the study of the Diaspora of Africans across the Atlantic. I studied all of this so that I would be better informed.
  6. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I saw it as a non-issue inflated by ESPN to increase the visibility of their highest rated 30 for 30 documentary. It was brought up before the doc to generate buzz, the doc did numbers, then they kept stoking the fire for another week. If I remember correctly, ESPN then replayed the doc every day for a week afterward.

I got the feeling most of the people discussing the topic didn't really care about the deeper meaning behind what Jalen was saying or even Grant's response. They just heard "Uncle Tom" and wanted to act offended at the word, not the meaning in all this.
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I know the general feeling about the Grant Hill response is ..... Grant Hill is such an articulate gentleman and all that crap but...what Jalen said was true. I really appreciate when someone cuts through the politically correct BS and actually can tell the truth. I really respect Jalen Rose for that.

Grant Hill wrote the response he needed to write (no doubt edited for him) and he lives up to his reputation as an all around non-threatening good guy...great for the sport...great example for our youth..blah, blah, blah.

I'll take a guy like Jalen any day.

Edit: Darth, I read the book when I was 6.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I never read the book. So what happens to Uncle Tom ?
  9. basketbills

He was the third pick in the '94 draft.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I had to look it up to validate whom I thought you were referring to:pound::pound:
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I read that book too. I was in my late single-digit years. I would often read while bike riding, as I could keep one eye on the book and one on the road. One eye on the road was plenty for me, as I possess superb hand-eye coordination and reaction time. I always won the neighborhood bike races while reading my books. Sometimes I even took one of my hands off the book to help steer past an unexpected pothole or obstacle.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

:pound:
  13. Darth Tater

@ Jeremy LMAO!

@Thee...He basically knew he was going to get beat to death by standing up for his principals, and that is what happened. The slave owner (Simon Legree) hated Tom for being everything Legree was not.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

POTD. :winner_first_h4h:
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Truly a laugh out loud moment. The legends grow!
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

LOL, question thought.... did you read english books?
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Kryzkxswski is a tool. Am I saying that because he coaches players from a two parent home? Maybe. I'm I calling him a tool because he has so few vowels in his last name? Possibly. Am I just bitter because he convinced Piston Nation that Christian Laettner was a real basketball player? Probably...

Is it because Duke beat the Fab Five and the Kentucky Wilcats, my two favorite teams, in heartbreaker last second victories? Definitely not.

YouTube - Chris Farley as Christian Laettner
  19. basketbills

Now that's funny! POTY.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

insulting because everything of substance that Rose says has merit? the words Rose used may have been in poor choice but that is how he thought as a kid.

How much do you want to bet the coach hasn't taken time to even view the show?

They stated how they respected the coach and his program after they were beaten by them, hell even said they were beaten by a better team.

As for the thread in general, not to come off as the unknowing white guy from a small farm town in west michigan but I was clueless about alot of the stuff I learned from the show and was saddened by how "fans" treated them and the program while they were there.

I would like to see some more views on things... I think its a healthy topic to discuss, and this is one forum where it can happen without it becoming a hate race flame war.