JALEN A PISTON?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by easybuckets, Oct 29, 2006.

1. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I read an article on Pistontalk.com that the Knicks are talking about a possible buyout of Rose's contract. Do you think we could get him? I think he would like being a Piston as Detroit is his home town. We do have an empty roster spot..Would he help off the bench?

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

NO!! ATHOUSAND TIMES NO.........

3. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Jalen has made no secret of the fact that he'd love to play in Detroit the last couple years.

But, getting Jalen means trading Delfino (it's about the minutes). Is that worth it? I'm not sure (mostly because I'm still not convinced Saunders wants to let Delfino have a legit chance).

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A strange wind blowing from the East... the stars are starting to align.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I read that Rose won't take much of a cut to his salary if he is bought out and if that is the case, the Knicks may insist he sign with a WC team.

IMO, it's too early to get excited about this. Rose is much better on offense than Delfino but Carlos is a better rebounder and a tougher defender.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Right now this team needs that rebounding and defense more.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As far as Rose being better on offense, you do have to consider all the times Delfino manages to feed the ball into the post, or right to a big cutting to the basket. In those summer league games two summers ago, Delfino hardly scored himself at all, yet made our offense run real well. So as far as offense, do you ask who will score more (most likely Rose), or who will make your team score more (most likely Delfino.) And who will help get the other team in foul trouble. (Delfino with all those interior passes.)

With that said, if Rose can be picked up for the league minimum, I'd take him for depth. He just could end up filling the backup point guard slot. Then again, he might not play much if Blalock manages to make the rotation. But if we do pick him up, here is the possible resulting bench unit: Rose, Murray, Delfino, Maxiell, Dyess.

8. roscoe36

Rose is a much better fit in this offense, and after watching him play for several years in Toronto, he can make all the passes. This is a swingman who has averaged 5+ assists per game 4 times in his career.

He's much better on offense all around. The problem is that you do not get ANY defensive intensity with him.

The important # is 58 playoff games on his resume (and one trip to the Finals).

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I can see Dallas trading Stack ... with Howard signing a new big contract and Ager playing well (also George and Finley) they may want to clear some room...
    I wouldn't put it past Joe to trade Sheed for Stack & Diop.. reason being the flexibility of next years salary (Stack's 9M expiring) and giving Brahma and possibly Amir more PT.
    Possibly a separate deal including Delfino & Davis.
    Why would McCoskey criticize Delfino...It's not like him to buck the company line... did he get wind of a Delfino move?

I can't imagine Rose getting much PT here... more like an insurance policy (as stated defensive downgrade).

This is what boredom causes :^)

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Micro, key word in what you say is "can." Rose is able to pass the ball indeed, which is why I say he could fill our backup point guard slot. Yet although Rose can make interior passes, he is much more into firing up his own shot. And by the way, it should pretty much go without saying, on defense in that 2nd unit, Murray would be guarding the point on defense with Rose guarding the shooting guard. We can fit Delfino and Rose into the same rotation.

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

If we bring in Jalen someone has to go. I would only take Jalen if his contract is bought out and we can resign him at the league min. or something close to it. As far as Delfino goes I don't know. I really am not all that impressed with him and never have been. He seems very inconsistent but then again he doesn't get consistent playing time either. When he does get an opportunity he doesn't seem to seize it. I am trying to be objective so it is hard to ignore Jalen's experience and offensive abilities which I believe can help our team. It also helps that underneath he bleeds Pistons red and blue.:sssh:

12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Jalen has Flip DNA. Why wouldn't we take him? :)

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We might as well talk about the real possibility of Jalen landing back home... If his agent says the buyout could happen as soon as Monday then we know it's real.
    If I had to put odds on him wearing the Piston Jersey I'd say it's close to 50%.... Players that ask for a buyout typically have a deal worked out with another club.
    For the sake of discussion how would Joe handle this situation?
    I would guess that he would bring Jalen in and have him learn the plays for at least a month before giving him any significant time... this also gives Joe a chance to move Delfino or Dupree.... or Jalen becomes nothing more than an insurance policy...
    This would certainly raise flags for our backup SG/SF's that Joe is not content with their play so far.

14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

My only problem with Rose is defense. He has a high basketball IQ and would probably be our second best ball handler on the team. I think if you pick him up, Dupree and Delfino become expendable. Personally, I'm not too concerned about losing a young small forward as they come a dime a dozen in this league. I say give Rose a shot. Our defense is probably going to be pretty average anyway. Jalen does have length so I think he would actually benefit participating in Flip's amazing zone defense. He definitely brings a Detroit swagger. Sign him up!

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree, his BB IQ is definitely higher that any of our scrubs & rooks, so if we haven't filled that 15th spot bring him on. Yeah he lacks some defense, but on those days when CB is foul trouble, Lindsey is off and Flip jr is in a funk, he can teach while playing. Plus I don't mind letting Dupree go for him dispite the age differential.

16. roscoe36

We don't have to let anyone go because there are only 14 of a possible 15 players under contract.

My issue is with chasing Rose at the expense of a backup center.

I like Rose on this team for the veterans minimum (all we can pay based on our cap position), but I don't think it will happen.

17. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

you know i want jalen

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Isn't Davis the backup center?

Maybe Joe D left that 15th spot open for this.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With Dale Davis looking like a stiff, you are correct some veteran with younger legs should be the pursuit, but with big men at a premium who is out there that is available and expendable by some other team? The kandi man??

I looked at Hoops-hype and even our starting center Mohammad gets no love not even being listed in the top 25 or honorable mention among centers (fantasy league or real)

HoopsHype - Fantasy Basketball - Position Rankings: Centers

20. roscoe36

Davis has a bad hammy.