J-Maxiell and Delfino Options Picked up by Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 20, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

WDFN is reporting that the Pistons have picked up the options of Jason Maxiell and Carlos Delfino.

What this means...

Maxiell was drafted under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. First Round Rookie contracts are structured under a 2 + 1 + 1 format. The first two years are guaranteed with years 3 and 4 team options that must be taken prior to the start of the season prior. So before Season 2, the Year 3 option may be taken. Before Season 3, the Year 4 options may be taken. The Pistons had until Oct 31st to get this done. By doing it now, a necessary piece of housekeeping business has been taken care of.

If a team does not take the option, the player's contract ends during the next offseason and the player is an UNRESTRICTED free agent. If the team takes the Year 3 and 4 options, the player will become a RESTRICTED free agent before Year 5.

Restricted Free Agency allows the team who last contracted the player to tender a qualifying offer (for all intents and purposes, a point to start negotiations). Once the player has been offered a qualifying deal (one year in length), the team can match any offers given to that player in free agency and thus retain his services.

Carlos Delfino was signed and drafted under the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement, which worked with a 3 + 1 structure for guaranteed and option years. Picking up Delfino's option today means that the Pistons will retain his NBA services for at least this season and the next, assuming he is not waived or traded.

This is good news.

2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

According to Hoopshype, Delfino is due 1.8 mil next, and JMax is due 1.0 mil next. It's obvious that JMax is worth 1 mil a year, but the fact the Pistons think Delfino is worth 1.8 next year is very good news.

3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is good news. Sounds like they'll get a shot to contribute.

4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, definetely- also this pic from freep.com is a nice one, it gives you hope that Fino is feeling more comfortable in Detroit.
    [​IMG]

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Caption: You're eating my minutes!!!!

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You know why they didn't show a pic of Max in the dominant position?

It would have looked like a Grizzly Bear wrestling with a baby.

With Acker out of the picture (my gut says for good), the SL and preseason emergence of Blalock and the top secret awesomeness of Amir Johnson, Joe is building a new foundation here. Look for it. It's happening.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We got those other picks too. 16 and 24.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

This is the most encouraging Pistons news I've heard in a long time! :djparty:

9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'm not to excited over this news because it is S.O.P.

What I want to get excited over is seeing some chemistry between Delfino and J-Max on the floor. It stands to reason that since they both rode the bench together, they should feel relatively comfortable playing together.

Well, their immediate contract is one less worry. Now let's go to work!

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There seems to be an imbalance at PF...
    The coment on Amir being shifted from his natural position (SF) to PF is false... he played PF/C in HS and PF in the D-league.
    So the future looks like Brahma, Amir & Samb as PF's.... that's gonna be tough for a couple of these guys to get the necessary PT to develop.... One of the three will eventually be moved in a package deal for a position needed....
    Amir will want to know his role before next years camp.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If Cheik bulks up he is a center. Amir could be like Marion and he could play both forward positions.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That could be possible by year 2010

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hard to fathom the Pistons keeping all 3 guys they drafted themselves. Throw in Blalock and there's 4.

With Prince and Okur being the only Piston-drafted major contributors in the last 10 years, its hard to be optimistic that this will be our future frontcourt.

14. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I've asked probably 4 or 5 times for members of the "Amir at SF club" to step forward and expalin why they feel so strongly about it. Or where they even got the idea in the first place. I have never gotten a response. I think we should ad that as a Piston's myth.

I don't see Samb at the PF. But we won't have to worry about him contributing to the "log jam" for quite some time, if ever. The guy is a longshot, longterm project at best.

15. max

max All-Star

Amir was 6'9" when we drafted him which could explain that. That was tall for HS but he has grown to 6'11" so unless he will be another KG type then I don't know.

The Pistons have been saying he will play PF.

Last year was about Flip not wanting to rock the boat and mess around too much with the rotation. This year is about him finding a winning combination so anything is possible. Maxiel can replace Dyess and Amir could even work himself in.

Dumars wants Flip to play Delfino so thats the only real restriction for the reserves.