Iverdone an All-Star?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

LeBron backed out because he's afraid. He's afraid that the unthinkable might happen and someone else might win it.

He has reason to fear. Anything he can do in that contest will pale in comparison to what people imagined the legend of LeBron in the dunk contest would be.

For once, Shaq has a good idea.

2. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

What's wrong with Sonny Weems? I happen to be a big fan of Sonny Weems! :swear2:

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Shaq should enter. That contest could use some power dunking.

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Do they have a layup contest?
    Rodney Stuckey could win that thing fosho!

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Shaq broke the backboard during the dunk contest, that would probably be the greatest dunk of all time.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, easily riggable. He could haul in another hoop like Dwight Howard did with some sort of guise, like he needs it to be 11' or something. Then he can shatter it and tear off his jersey afterward (ala Darko).

7. BallDon'tLie

I'd like to see Shaq, Ben Wallace and Andris Biedrins in a free-throw contest.

8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of course it's ridiculous that guys like AI and T-Mac are starters. But like others have said, you can't have it as both a fan-voted pickup game and also a measure of recognition for players.

If players are gonna complain about the lack of recognition in not getting selected due to guys like T-Mac being voted in, then there is only one option and that is to split it up.

But really, what purpose does this serve? That's why they have the awards and all-NBA team selections at the END of the season.

What does Ray Allen want? An award for being recognised in the top 12 players in his conference for half of a season?? :nerd2:

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If fans want T-Mac and AI, then that's the way it should be. It is an exhibition game for fans to enjoy. I have no problem with fan voting.

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Ah ha but you are so wrong, for some reason my Internet Explorer would not load the voting page correctly and I was never ever able to vote for AI once, not even once. A friend of mine voted for him once when I kept whining about it, which I so much appreciated.

No, it was all his other fans that did it this time. Either alot of people like him enough to vote for him once, or some people like him fanatically enough to vote for him over and over and over. Frankly, I think it has alot to do with name recognition. People are pretty lazy. And they like to vote for people who they think will win. AI has been there alot, everyone knows who he is, therefore...send him again. Most people don't follow basketball the way we do, and most of us on this forum only follow a small handful of teams so imagine how celebrity driven the All-Star voting really is.

Your basic casual basketball fan doesn't go to games, watches TNT on Thursday nights, follows their local team and knows a handful of superstar names. AI is one of those names. The state of his game is beside the point, just as it is with Shaq. He is a basketball celebrity icon and that's all she wrote. As long as he's playing, he'll probably be in the All-Star running of the fan voting, right or wrong.

It'd be like doing an All-Star Popular Music team every year and having Madonna show up on it. AI's been around 13 years now. That covers a generation in NBA basketball years (kind of like dog years) of voters. Who's going to vote for Rajon Rondo instead? YET. I think AI is going to need to retire soon because of his knee and then we'll get to see all the deserving immensely talented guards from the East take his place. (sarcasm intended)

11. BallDon'tLie

T-Mac needs to step aside and let Chauncey run with the West squad.
    If T-Mac plays in this game, he should be BOOED all the way to Beijing.

12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

BUT NOT YET!

13. webz

Startes announced.

NBA.com: Voters pick LeBron, Kobe to lead East, West to Dallas

West
    G- Nash
    G- Bryant
    F- Anthony
    F- Duncan
    C- Stoudemire

East
    G- Iverson
    G- Wade
    F- James
    F- Garnett
    C- Howard

How can Gerald Wallace not figure in the voting at all? Not even in the top 10. He is having an all-star season and the Bobcats are genuinely in the playoff hunt.
    I'm also really surprised Durant is 5th in West forwards. Why is he not popular I wonder?...
    Deron Williams snubbed by fans again. Small market Utah I suppose. Hopefully the coaches don't repeat their mistake. He is a top 3 PG in the West. Problem is whether they want to choose 3.
    Surprising that McDyess got so many votes. Have all these people voting been deprived of NBA for the past 10 years and not seen any new players or what?? McGrady, Iverson, McDyess, Shaq, Carter. All stars 5-10 years ago. Not any longer.

14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I think the answer to your questions is that the the players you are referencing as being snubbed by the fans have not been hyped by the national sports media for years. Hopefully the coaches will be sure to include Gerald Wallace, Kevin Durant and Deron Williams. I really think the All-Star voting is a reflection of the hype in the NBA culture, the television ads, the shoe deals, the almost endless exposure of a few players. These guys are the only guys you hear about when you turn on the news about the NBA even on TNT. Gerald Wallace? When is the last time anyone hyped on Gerald Wallace? The reason for this is simple, the national sports media gives free promotion and endless hype to a handful of players and the voting reflects that. When faced with a ballot, the voter has to ask himself whether he really knows better than the entire national sports media machine. Then he votes for LeBron.

My sister voted for Sheed, and called me and asked me if she should have voted for Dwight Howard since he is the big deal. Case in point.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would have thought Durrant would make it too.

You don't really stick in people's minds though until you go through some playoff battles.

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's got to do with name recognition. Durant would be a starter if his name was spelled "that lanky young kid in that team that moved somewheres".

17. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

18. webz

The world order has restored itself. Iverson out, David Lee in.

Also Kidd is in for Kobe who is sitting it out.

Kaman also replaced Roy earlier in the week.

A couple more injuries and we might see Austin Daye in the all-star game!!

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Billups has a nice attitude about it. Another all-star appearance doesn't do much for him, so no worries.

Ellis, Smith, Kaman... they could have used the spot.

20. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would have rather seen Ellis get the nod before Kidd. Kidd has been there HOW many times. Would be fun to see an Ellis-Nash back court out there for the West.