1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

It's too early

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 19, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

for Chauncey Billups to be playing 42, 39 and 39 minutes in his last 3 games.

Isn't this the guy who gets tired in the playoffs?

I mean, if Billups plays 81 of a possible 96 minutes on a back to back, and it's only November, that's really, and I mean REALLY bad. Because it means we can only squeeze 15 minutes every two games out of Murray/Hunter at PG.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yeah i know. it always just happens to be a game we really need to win so we punish the starters.

to be honest i don't know why billups gets tired. his minutes are nowhere near the top of the nba. he doesnt exactly run a run and gun offense. most of the time he stands at the top of the key and makes one pass. and when he does go for his, its backing down someone smaller and not as strong as him. how much effort does it take to jump 20 cms off the ground and raise a ball filled with air with you arms 10 times a game?

time to get in the cardio room CB.

ps - most of this is tongue in cheek.

3. max

max All-Star

I don't know. Billups has been nowhere near what other starters have had to play though playoff seasons. He gets tired. I don't know why our guys are fragile with that.

Some of it could be all the drama we have had for the past 2 post-seasons. In 03/04 there were no distractions, no off court tension and the team looked like they could have played another series or 2 at the end.

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The problem is that we don't have a credible point guard behind Chauncey. And it is not a surprise. I think that the payroll dictated this situation. I can't even blame Flip. Who would we all bring in at the point and feel confident in the result?

5. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

While it is more along the line of 'try something' than 'feel confident in',give Blaylock a shot. His defense couldn't be any worse than Carlos Arroyo's and they played him.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not trying to defend the tired excuse, but don't forget that the Pistons have played more games (including playoffs) than any team in the league over the past 4 seasons.

Tay, Rip, Sheed, Ben and CB played more games than any other team in the history of the league 3 seasons ago.

The longest serving starting 5 in the history of the league. Most consecutive games played to start a season in league history. Four All-Stars.

I have to think that all of that catches up with a team eventually. Especially a team that has 0 turnover of the starters (before this season obviously) in 3 years.

Like I said, I don't think that should be used as an excuse. But it should be used as a REASON to get the bench more PT. I'm so tired of Flip and Joe saying one thing and then doing the exact opposite.

I'm willing to sacrifice a few Ws for more PT for the bench. But I'm NOT willing to see the starters play extended minutes because Flip is too afraid to go to the bench and then STILL lose the games.

To me, that is a no win situation. If we're going to lose, we better at least get the bench some valuable experience and the starters some rest.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm kinda with you on this Jammer... Somethin' says this team is not good enough to make it to the Ships this year... it would be a shame to get all the way to the playoffs and not know anymore about the young kids than we did in the preseason... I'm torn between a youth movement and a decent playoff run...
    Defining the gray area between these two posibilities is intriguing.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Without bringing in a new piece... and it would have to be a good one, there is about a 1% chance of us winning a championship this year. You can't win a ship without a dominant big man... or an MJ.

Dominant big men on the last 9 NBA championship teams (post MJ):
    Shaq (2006)
    Duncan
    Ben Wallace
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Shaq
    Shaq
    Duncan (1999)

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ben Wallace only dominates on 1/2 of the court. I loved him as a Piston, but I don't think he fits in with Shaq and Duncan.

10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I have to agree with this. I love Ben, however, we are talking Finals MVP`S with Shaq and Duncan.......

11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree. The solution, get a bona fide, pure point guard, one with quick hops and also a floor leader ala AI.

CB was made into a point guard, begrudgingly.

I am really skeptical about our team as it stands now. The bench players are a huge question mark. Delfino supposedly was to get more minutes, Brahma was to get regular minutes, McDyess is only a shell of himself, CB can't consistently play 35-39 minutes during the course of the year without being rendered totally useless by the end of the season, Nazr, disappointing thus far, Rasheed; it's unknown whether he is going to find him some real estate in the paint or just hang out in the surburbs beyond the three point arc, Murray is more cold than hot.

Tay and Rip will most likely become our two most consistent players barring injury.

I like the idea, if we are going to rebuild with youth, these are the two guys which we should build around.