Is this the most excited you've been before the season?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by iamme, Oct 6, 2005.

?

Is this the most you've anticipated the coming season?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No (list what season below)

22.2%
  1. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

I honestly say this has been the most excited i've been about the season starting than in the past few years.

I think it has to do with:

1. "Unfinished business" - coming so close to a championship and coming up short was a blessing in disguise, imo. sure it would have been fun to go to Hart Plaza again to celebrate, but having the team come back hungry is too sweet. i was so upset seeing Sheed come into camp fat last season. hearing that he was in Michigan all summer working out and that he's 20 pounds slimmer....*cue evil laugh*

2. "New team outlook" - it's like we've rebuilt a muscle car and now we're ready to take it out for a spin (how's that for a motor-city analogy :)). a whole new offense and maybe some tweaked defensive looks. i think this "new" Pistons team just might surprise the NBA.....again.

3. "Darko" - *cue old bit siren*. this is most definitely a make or break season for Darko. we've got a coach who'll give him a shot to prove himself. a clean slate for Darko. even more importantly, he's been playing in real games all summer long. just for a sec imagine if Darko turns into a respectable backup center? maybe 6 pts 4 reb 1 blk? that'd be sick. yes, no where near what a 2nd rounder should be, but for our team that'd be a great contribution. also, a good starting point for Darko to build on.
  2. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

Grant Hill's rookie year.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Like some of the players have mentioned, the Finals loss has stuck with me all summer. The firing of LB, the drafting of Maxiell (who frankly does not get much attention although he earned serious consideration after the SL), the hiring of Flip etc.

Then add in the start up of this forum, and this has been the first summer I have totally dedicated to the Pistons. I absolutely cannot wait until the opening tip.
  4. iamme

whenever i hear the Rob Thomas song "final heartbreak" on the radio, i have to quickly change the station :mmph:

ah! i forgot about Maxiell....First Team in the Vegas Summer league, which was made up of all current-NBA players. that's nice recognition.

the pistons have so many pieces that might get a chance to shine. if we "click" and everything falls into place, i can predict a championship without feeling like a homer.

so many aspects to look forward to.

heh, same here with my website. :)
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i'm even excited about training camp. the battle between delfino and dupree for that final spot is going to be a tough one. you know your team is good when you either have to cut dupree or delfino.

i also love that our rookies are slipping under the radar. those guys will contribute this year. especially with lindsey hurt a bit acker gets a better chance. jmax is a beast he's going to knock artest on his butt. no more muscling tay without repercussions.

our bench just got supercharged. i'm more excited about the bench than the starters. arroyo and mcdyess in the pick and roll are going to be murder to defend. delfino and evans are going to surprise people those guys are good players. darko is going to have a big impact. dale davis is still solid and will be ready whenever called upon.

the maturation of tayshaun prince he started to come out a little bit last year. this year he will be even better. i think he was upset about his play in last years playoffs.

sheed coming in ready to rip the league a new one also has me excited.

chauncey being unleashed on the league.

rip hamilton growing into an all star. triple double rip was exciting to watch at the end of the season. this year he will be a 3 point threat.

darko is going to shoot some 3's. throw some dimes, dunk on a few people. avenge himself against peter john ramos. block some shots. and dunk from the free throw line.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't predict championships. It's just a personal thing I have about the teams I like. Don't want to get too high or too low.

I'm most anxious to see the new look Pistons. How will Arroyo play? Will Acker make the squad? Darko? Zone? Pick and roll? Flip?

I don't like loose ends, and until I see the product on the court, these questions are driving me insane.
  7. iamme

Tayshaun!

he finished the 2nd half of the season STRONG. led our team in FG%, nearly averaged 20ppg, and he was destroying SF's in the post. he had a average post season for what i think are two reasons:

1. burnt out...he was playing an obscene amount of minutes. LB would play some bench guys, but would always have Tay in the game.

2. teams learned that Tay was important....he slipped under the radar during the season, but i think teams were keying in on him in the playoffs. they didn't want him to start getting hot. i can remember several times when San Antonio and some other teams actually double teamed Tay in the post!

i can't wait to see if Tay takes the next step in his game.
  8. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

:rofl:
    I just muted the tv everytime that stupid song came on. I thought it should have been the foo fighters best of you cuz the spurs were getting the best of us .

As far as is this the most excited I have been for a season ... no that was last year I thought that we would finally get the respect world champs should get and i thought we would repeat. then the miami deal I just wanted to beat miami so we could shut up shaq and everyone saying oh the heat are the greatest team :flame: :frusty: :frusty: god I hate shaq and now I also hate big shot rob
  9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I was more excited about last preseason. Coming off of winning the title and getting ready to defend it against the new bad guy in the East Shaq and Co.

This year I am not that excited. I still don't think we have enough to get over the hump to be honest. I think we are a deeper team but time will tell whether we have enough fire power. In this league you have a small window of being good before teams figuire you out and know how to beat you. We have a lot of unknown elements that I hope prove to be good complications for or rivials.
  10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

tay will be a monster in the post this year. i just hope ben wallace's man doesn't come to double like last year. tay had no scoring option to throw it to. when we doubled duncan or shaq it killed us because that opened up shooters. when teams doubled us it opened up ben wallace. if ben steps up his interior shooting it will open up everybody else's game.
  11. iamme

hopefully Flip's "offesive genius" (according to Chauncey) can design some play movement to get Ben layups/dunks whenever they try to double Tayshaun.
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Likewise.
    • Last season I thought we were going to set franchise records.
    • I was excited about Darko and Delfino
    • Actually thought our bench would be better than the previous with the additions/evolving of Darko, Delfino, Hunter, and McDyess
    • Thought our defense was unstoppable and that we would continue to hold the league under 70 points a game (like we did after Sheed came)
  13. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

First Year of the Palace

My most exciting was year 1 for the Palace. I upped the ante from a mini tix package at the Silverdome to full season tix, and it was on the heels of a disappointing game 7 loss to the Lakers on a bogus call. :laugh:

It turned out to be a fantastic season, too.
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm more excited about this year I think, but I was very excited about that year also. I was ticked though because I had mini season tickets and at playoff time they made mini season ticket holders buy tickets to every playoff game rather than just a couple of games. I couldn't afford it at the time and couldn't attend any playoff games.

I never forgave them for that until a feww years later when they started giving me oodles of free tickets to take delinquent youth to the games. Lemme tell you..the lobby leading to the Pistons executive offices (where you had to go to get the tickets) is HOOKED up.
    And I'll tell you something else...if the secretary sitting there was the one Carlisle was "rude" to...omg...that girl should have been on the cover of a magazine. Gorgeous is a vast understatement. :rapture:
  15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this season

This is definately the most excited I've been to start a season. There's a boat load of potential on this yeam, but there are also a lot of ??.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

yeah.
    I thought that it would be G Hill's rookie year but you know he was good it was all about just how good. With Darko, Carlosx2 the question mark is bigger but you talking about making a great team...er, even greater.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Excited, No...the year LB came in was my most excited because Carlisle pissed me off so bad for 2 straight playoff years I felt he had to go. But this is the most anticipation I've ever had. We came close last year, and this year there are some new faces, same legit youngters with upside for the future and mad question marks. I'm dying for the questions of our foreigners, young'ns and MoEvans to get answered, not to mention Dale Davis and Flip. Lastly Dyess had a beautiful game 7 performance, I'm dying to see him play like that again. All last season Dyess never really realized that his knee was fine, he missed a bunch of lay-ups that he could've dunked, now I think he's totally confident in the knee and his game.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We are going to have more firepower because we're going to use the bench this year, and no one will slack off, and with Shaq getting old I'd more worried about the Heat. Seriously would you want a coach not as good, or a player not as good? (I'm reffering to Flip, and Shaq.)
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It depends how much you lose with each one. Generally speaking, if the player loses a little and you lose a lot with a new coach, then I'll go with having the player decline slightly and keeping my coach. A terrible coach can hurt you. Don't misunderstand me, I am NOT saying that is the case with the Pistons. I am guessing Flip will do very well.

Anyhow, even though Shaq MAY have lost something, it may not be much and Miami acquired a whole lot of new guys that could POTENTIALLY more than make up for the difference.

Don't make the mistake of writing off the Heat. Actually, it doesn't matter if you do. But the Pistons had better not.
  20. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

some of us need to step up

In this offseason we all have pondered what could have been and what it would have been like to be back to back champs once. Again we thought of Rasheed double teaming Manu and leaving Horry for that open look. We think of how we were up nine points late in 3rd and eventually let it go to "the team to beat." All of these things we have thought of and trust me I'm no exception. In all this we have to move on and some of our key players need to step up this year.

Rasheed since he got here in Detroit has been the difference and a dissapointment. Defensively he has been the catalyst that has made us a perenial title contender. Offensively he has yet to shown that he can be that "go to guy" we all thought we were getting. We all need to see the kind of talent and craft that he showed in Portland for some years. Don't get me wrong I love Rasheed on our squad but he needs to take charge this year. Tayshaun is improving every year and I expect him to make that leap from a good solid player into a potential star in this league. Delfino and Milicic have go to prove their worth this year and go out there to contribute to the cause. I sincerely believe that if these players don't contribute this year that we are going to have to let them aside and get some real players to get their spots. As far as I'm concerned Chauncey, Rip and Ben just need to be themselves and keep playing they way they have been playing over the past 3 seasons.

There is so much parody and drama this year in the NBA. I thought that last year was going to be the best in a long time, this season will live up to the hype and be the best nba season in the past 10 years. I can't wait for the season to start everybody buckle up you seat belts. :amen: