Is this really Miami's plan?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lazyberbs, Oct 24, 2006.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I have come across several people and opinion pieces that indicate that the Miami Heat will be pretty much taking it easy throughout the season, just playing well enough to make the playoffs, and then turn on the juice during the playoffs.

They seem to think that they have so much talent that they can cruise along and then turn it on to defend their championship in the post season.

I just don't see how they have that much talent even with DWade but I give some credence to the people espousing these thoughts because I seriously doubt that their aged players can play hard during the season and still have something left for later.

How do you guys (generic) feel about this?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

They are a veteran team. Between Wade and Shaq getting some help from the refs, they really negate any homecourt advantage an opponent may have.

If they are healthy, they are a threat to repeat.

It's arrogance based on historical fact. In a league that was once full of competitive spirits (Bird, Thomas, Jordan, Thomas), this is a new low, but not totally unexpected.
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

It isn't much different from what they did last year!
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Worked for them last season. Their main assets are not getting any younger. Maybe they figure the calls on Wade will offset any HCA they would lose.

man, now I look like a biter.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Generically, I don't buy it. I don't believe in switches, don't believe you can play one way in the regular season and a different way come playoff time.

Specifically for the Heat, whether they put him on IR intentionally or through an actual injury, I don't believe Shaq can play a whole season anymore. Expect him to miss 20 games or so, maybe two ten game stretches. Maybe the same for Mourning.

I'm just not sure about Wade or anyone else other than Peyton. They're relatively young guys and ought to be able to run all year and still have lots left over.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Coasting = Ping pong balls
  7. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Their division is not as tough as ours. All they have to beat are the Magic, the Wizards, the Bobcats, and the Hawks. Maybe the league should revamp the system some more. I think all the central division will be in the playoffs this year. Miami probably will coast again.Look how hard they played in their first exhibition game! They will be arrogant and even more obnoxious than last year. I sure hope their strategy fails.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I do believe in switches. They... (or the commisioner) hit the switch last year.

Shaq will get injured if he plays hard for 82+ games. Coasting may not work, but it is their best strategy. And it is probably a lot more enjoyable for the players.
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Why not coast, if it works! Shaq is only effective if he only brings it in spurts, then let D wade and the bench take over. Last year the production from Walker, Mourning, and God forbid Gary Payton was crucial during the playoffs.

Besides, only Shaq will be coasting, everyone else will be playing.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its similar to what the Pistons have been doing in games for several years now. They coast through the first three and a half quarters and then turn it on in crunch time.

However, we all saw how that plan backfired in last year's playoffs. Its a high risk, high reward strategy.

If it works, you have a well rested team peaking at the best time. If it doesn't work, your team falls apart.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

12. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Judging by the preseason and game one, the Heat are definatly resting up to defend their title. Hope they rest all season and forget how to play. Pat Riley should really punish them for their lack of any noticable effort. The Heat are in semiretirement!
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

How embarassing to pick up your rings with all this ceremony and then get whooped on by the entire bulls squad. Guys looking to survive getting cut looking like starters against the defending champs.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Not to mention what it does for the Bulls confidence
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Pistons didn't put the best effort tonight either. It wasn't as bad as Miami though. Jeeez I'll take an 8 point loss over a 42 any day.
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I know what you mean, but actually the Heat`s loss is not as bad as the Pistons. The heat are world champions, they just recieved their rings and really had nothing to prove. On the other hand the Pistons lost their signature player during the off season, boasted about a new potent offense, and came out looking terrible against a team that has been hovering around or below 500 for years........
  17. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Can't do a lot for their confidence though to lose to badly to the Bulls who then the next night never led in losing to the Magic.

I think Miami will have to do a helluva lot more than "ropa-dope" through the season and expect to turn it on in the post-season.

That just ain't gonna do it.

The east is going to be wide open this year and there might be a couple of surprises along the line.

I just do not have any confidence that the Heat will go far into the play offs even if they get in. One man teams (Wade) just don't make it.

Even Jordan didn't do it until he got a team around him
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It's pretty close. Every one besides Wade sucked. Either this is their "plan" or it's showing that these older guys are reaching an end. Many of the problems the Pistons had came from TO's. I'm surprised that the Pistons won the boards. It didn't lool like it.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Indeed. In fact, at one point Nazr had only one board, and then it seemed suddenly he had 11.
  20. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's because the Bucks took 93 shots. If we did win on the boards, we might have lost the game by more than 41 points margin.:gaah: