Is this a Sports story??

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Mar 3, 2011.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

There are at least 20 Universities that have similar codes in place. One place, Trinity University does not allow their students to be registered DEMOCRATS... :beer: :smoke06: :eyebrows:
  3. LA Dre

If his girlfriend is your <avatar then I can understand why he may have broken the code....:love::heh:
  4. Nemo

She's a former model who retired to attend college.
    I stumbled into her while looking up Meredith Baxter.
    I figured she would be appreciated.

Esther Baxter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

This made me think of A. C. Green.
  6. LA Dre

Hmm, I watched Oprah yesterday and was looking up some stuff on Meredith, but didn't stumble on Esther.....but after reading her wiki-bio I had to find the her freek-a-leek video....

I never saw it before, but recall the wife dancing and humming to the song when doing her excercing a few years back:MusicBigGrin:

Any way :focus: just wondering how many BYU student atheletes get married halfway thru their freshman year...:sssh:
  7. LA Dre

except the Lakers had no honor code....
  8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What the hell? You guys have universities with rules like this? It boggles my mind!

No beards? LMAO!
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I thought I heard he ratted himself out.
  10. LA Dre

Well guys did brag about their conquests when I was in school, but this was his girlfriend...

Just think when a recruit is on the fence about signing a letter of intent with BYU and another school and the other school reminds him of the fringe benefits he CAN'T get at BYU....for four years
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ok now I here an acquaintance squealed to the bishop. BYU isn't that straight laced but you can't be flaunting it.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My take on this:
    As a BYU alum, this kind of stuff happens to people from time to time at BYU. Of course some people do all kinds of things that they don't get caught for. But yes, the rules are quite strict. A lot of people don't like the beard rule especially. [You can actually get an exemption to wear a beard if it is for religious reasons - meaning you are Muslim or something - or if you can get a doctor to write you a note saying that you need to for medical reasons, like you break out a lot or something. I've always been told it's not that difficult if you really want to. The funny part is if you are exempted, then you will get a student ID with you wearing a beard in the photo - a "beard card" as it's called. If you have a beard card, you MUST have a beard at all times. You are not allowed to shave it off or you can lose the exemption. So basically you can have it one way or the other.]

But in reality, a lot of the "Honor Code" comes from the church's religious standards. Pre-marital sex, tobacco, alcohol, all the major stuff that you will actually get in trouble for, if caught, are all against church guidelines anyway. So if you are a Mormon going to BYU it's not coming out of left field at all. I'm sure the sports programs "suffer" to an extent because there are many non-Mormon athletes who might otherwise consider BYU if not for the Honor Code. And historically some coaches embrace it more than others. The current basketball and football coaches appear to "get" the principle behind it more than some have in the past. As a Mormon and a BYU alum and a sports fan, I can say that I would love to see BYU do well in the sports world. But I don't want it to come at the cost of compromising the integrity of the program, the university, or the student-athletes. So I'm sad for the loss but since I also agree with the religious aspect behind this all, I hope that Davies can get things worked out for him personally. That's way more important than the NCAA tournament. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to turn this into a religious discussion, but that's one "BYU guy's" view on this.

My sports take on this:
    I think we're done for in the tournament. Would not be surprised to get bounced in the first round if we face a team with any amount of size. With Davies we were a very small team - we had 3 guards and two forwards in our starting lineup for the entire year. Many felt we were one-dimensional, but that wasn't completely true, because we played hard defense and had just a little bit of interior scoring, but it was enough. NOW I fear we are completely one-dimensional. Sad day for the BYU sports world. :(
  13. Nemo

I can appreciate the rules and the code set forth by BYU. Although I would never attend BYU because I would read the rules and be unable to uphold them, I like the concept and understand the need for this.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I find it refreshing that a school of higher "learning" actually stands for something beyond winning or losing a "game".

There are way to many kids that will be taking part in March madness that really shouldn't be on there teams, heck still in college at all. Schools turn a blind eye because the kid will get them a better chance to win an extra game.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I find it refreshing that it's not allowed to grow a beard. BYU is stricter than the swedish military service! :MusicBigGrin:
  16. LA Dre

CJ I was waiting for you to weigh in on this one and I respect your opinion.

I just hope that Brandon Davies and his girlfriend actually mean something to each other after breaking the honor code and get married.

The other question is, if his skills were worthy of a potential NBA career, I wonder if he (a sophomore) transfers to another school and eventually hones skill sets to make it to the NBA.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks Dre.

I expect he'll be back next year. He might have to wait until January, though. Last year our star running back Harvey Unga got his girlfriend pregnant sometime in the spring. The administration decided he was not allowed to reenroll in school until the following January, which means he would have missed the football season. He ended up declaring for the NFL supplemental draft and was taken by the Bears. With Davies there's enough time that he might be allowed back next fall.

I'm told Davies was on the bench for tonight's game against Wyoming. In pre-game they showed clips of him and he got a standing ovation from the crowd. During the first half students were chanting "We love Davies". So he's definitely got a lot of support and I expect to see him back next year.
  18. LA Dre

OK Good to hear as he can then continue his studies there. But does this mean he can be reinstated to the team next season?? I just assumed he was suspended forever...