Is Tayshaun ready to break out?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jul 31, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

You have to figure that replacing points is not the issue. The remaning players will have to replace rebounds and interior D. A lot of his is going to fall on Tay.

If anything with Mohamed and Dyess slated to play more, I see Tay with less of a scoring roll but a lot more pressure to contribute on the glass.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good thing we didn't resign Uncly Cliffy like some had suggested (jokingly I hope).

Otherwise Tay would feel more pressure to contribute and roll the grass.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Getting the bench grooving?

4. max

max All-Star

Who said that? Cliff has to be over 40 by now.

My main worry is rebouding. Its going to have to be a team effort now.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I saw it, not long ago. And just blew over it.
    Max are you sleepy? You're dropping letters like crazy.

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Minutes down
    Two point shooting down
    Three point shooting up slightly
    Free throw shooting down
    Offensive boards down
    Defensive boards down
    Assists down
    Blocks down by half
    Scoring down

Before you say it, yep, numbers aren't everything, but they can't be ignored either. A lot of the downward trend could be explained by the offense the team ran, but it sure isn't encouraging.

7. max

max All-Star

Rough crowd. We do have Dumpree now.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Check out his playoff numbers though.

9. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Joe's had so much faith in this kid since day 1. If you think about it he's already had as much help developing as Wade has with Shaq and we know the kid can flat out score when he's in the zone.

He's our brightest hope: Tayshuan's first all-star appearance next year! :first:

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt, a better playoff run than regular season this year. But still some troubling things relative to last year's playoff run. In some cases the playoff improvement only makes up for drops in the regular season. So, yes, playoffs were better, but sometimes only up to the level of last year's regular season.

PO FG% down from .487 to .459
    PO 3% up from .341 to .457

So, two point shooting took an even bigger nosedive, while three shooting was up substantially. It's still hard for me to figure how much of the statistical variation is from a change in his level of play and how much is due to an very different offensive scheme that gave him the ball in different places and asked him to do different things.

PO offensive boards up a bit, defensive down a bit, overall up 0.4 boards per game.

PO assist, blocks, and steals flat versus last playoff season. Blocks in the playoffs were up relative to the regular season, but only to the level of last year's regular season.

Still seems to me a player of his age and skills ought to be getting demonstrably better at this phase in his career - not holding flat or even declining in some areas. Next season seems key to me. While being a solid NBA player is nothing to sneeze at, I think we're all really hoping for more.

11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Hence the name of the thread.

Will another year in this offense get him comfortable enought to score more, and have plays ran for him?

Will this season without Ben, force him to be more agressive on the boards and defense?

12. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

I agree with lazyberbs all the way up until the last line. I think once you are in the league 4 or 5 years, you are pretty much what you're going to be. Tay is a good player who shows up big sometimes and doesn't show up at all quite often. I think it has less to do with being tired (all these guys are in shape!) and more to do with overall ability and motivation.

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

he's not a prince, he's a king!!

14. pas99

pas99 Second Round Draft Pick

You look for the shark eyes at game time…you can’t put what’s not there. His quiet demeanor and phlegmatic personality reminds me of JD, but without the eyes. Don’t get me wrong, he is a very solid ball player…who consistently disappears much too often and who has soft (too soft) hands.

With all the hype (fan and media) surrounding him, I think that he would make excellent trading material.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:nono:

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What did you mean by this? Tay is one of the least-hyped and most underrated players in the NBA.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Com'on Beer, the underground knows all about Tay.

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

All I know is what I read in the newspapers and I apologize for the length of this thread. I promise the Admins to tone it down.

Tay always gets positive comments from polite announcers and the media crew. This is not my point…which is, what spot is he at on the court and does he fit into a motion offense? If everyone is a defensive star, then you begin to choke on it. This is what happened in the playoffs. As you know, in the playoffs everything is tight and pressure saps strength especially when a team like Detroit feeds from it. But an equal and opposite force may cause problems when long 3s don’t drop and the motion (and draining energy) does not come into play. The only extra release of energy comes from working inside for better percentages, and fouls (and needed time breaks) shots. Those little shots made (statistically) gives back energy to your defense. You will only get that from working your big men in close. What did Detroit present throughout the whole playoff series? Sheed floating around the 30 ft. mark; Ben, who must be within 3 ft. of the basket and preferably facing it; Prince who must station himself on the right side so he can use his quirky baby left hook as he can only move left; Rip, constantly in motion (and the only one) trying to find screens as the defense cheats, because Detroit does not have a go to guy to keep things honest. CB at point feels much more confident when he can see the whole field and does not like to get creative in heavy traffic. What makes CB so tough is that he knows it, which makes him the most solid point-guard in the league. And no, Jason Terry is not a point-guard. CB does not get himself (as well as his teammates) into very many uncomfortable spots and hence, you might begin to see the comfortable patterns the team got themselves into during the playoffs.

Now that I have thoroughly side-tracked myself (and you), I might as well finish with the coach. Flip has been a winner all his life. His mission was to win as many games as possible and get into the playoffs. In other words, mission accomplished. But it came at a price: being the new guy (along with his coaching style) he had to acquiesce to team hegemony, which later cost him valuable leadership-strategic directives when the team needed it the most during the playoffs. Hardly his fault and the team knew it. All that was left was to get into that old comfort mode, which didn’t seem to bother anyone except…perhaps…Flip, JD and Davidson.

This time around when Flip gets out his offensive book, he might get some buy-in. A few things need to happen first:
    • Complete restructure (or the beginning introduction) of the offensive plays.
    • Player repositioning which should mean that Prince does not start (he should get 10-12 pts. regardless) and Flip Murray will get you 15-20 pts every night as a starter with a motion offense. As the aforementioned happens, it opens up the offensive flow and Rip gives everyone a double dose of breaking down passive (Riley) zones. The only way to beat a zone is by exposing it.
    • I would say that the key person (leadership wise) will be Sheed. He went to Vegas to encourage the youngsters…which I hope is s a very big clue for his psychological gathering-up. By far one of the most talented big men in the NBA, (who has never diminished his “little-kid role” of wanting constant attention), this is his last year to step-up with a contender. Averaging 15 pts does not cut it, especially when you have Tay putting up 183 more deuces during the season and offensively out rebounding him (1.3—1.1 respectively).
    • The coaching staff and its relationship to the HC-JD in my mind is a big question mark. A coach’s personality in many aspects of the game resides in dual citizenship with devotion to ownership-management and players. A skill that many times remains burdened by the realities of the win-loss column. More on this in a separate thread.
    • What kind of system is in place for player development within each team? The league has a pathetic policy with a European farm system and an inadequate D-League on a large scale. I see potential movement on a whole different type of system for player development which I will pick up on a different thread.

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Of course. If Sheed plays any where close to what he did in Portland we will no doubt be one of the biggest threats in the league. Sheed was a couple minutes away from beating the Lakers in Portland. If he starts being aggresive and plays like he did in Portland look out.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Pas, I'll give this plan some thought but by the time I get back [Monday] it may already be settled.