Is Tayshaun ready to break out?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I've read that most people believe Tayshaun will eventually become a "go to" player for this team.

Do you think this will be his year?

I think he needs to work on his jumper some more, and that he'll be a valuable offensive player (again).

But I don't think he's quite ready to be "go to".
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Why shouldn't he? If it wasn't for Tayshaun we'd be out in the second round. I think Tayshaun needs to get more rest so that he can have more energy to be a big force on both ends.

This team needs more points in the paint, and Tay can do that.
  3. Superstarov

I agree HIMAT, he can score some points in the paint.

And I'm not dissing Tay at all, I just think the team has too many other options for Tay to step up as "go to" when the game is on the line.

I think his game has improved each year as he gets more comfortable in the NBA. And I think it will continue to improve.

I hope he can step up as the man. I'd be happier than anyone about that, but realistically, he needs a lot of things to go right for that to happen.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yes he needs more rest, but management STILL haven't addressed the need for a backup for tay! why not?!

this was a problem 2 seasons ago and has still not been rectified. what is going on joe?
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I’d say if not this year, then don’t expect it to happen ever. He’s played three seasons in a row in all 82 games, only missing two starts. He’s getting really close to the time in his career when you know what to expect because you’ve seen it before, and you can’t expect much else.

Across the board Tay took a step backwards this past season. Maybe his strength was sapped by marriage, maybe by an offense that afforded him fewer opportunities, mostly reducing his role to hanging out in the corner watching the other guys play until someone tossed the ball out for a three. Don’t know the cause, but the effects are pretty clear.

For me, stepping up means two things –

- shooting a higher percentage (mostly from a different mix of shots rather than better shooting – get in the post, drive and pop, etc.)

- rebounding the basketball (on both ends).

Can he do it? Yeah, I think the talent is there and I think the heart is there.

Will he do it? Not as sure. Rebounding is mostly on him – desire and effort. Shooting better depends on the offense and how he is used. I think he can be the most versatile offensive player on the team (maybe tied with Sheed) if he’s used properly.
  6. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Tayshuan needs to start his move to the hoop quicker. With his long arms he is able to get of his jump hook with good accuracy on just about anyone. When he is standing still, pounding the ball, waiting to start his move, he is vulnerable to steals. Tay also needs to learn to recognize double teams quicker and pass before they close on him. Once Tay makes these adjustments, he just might be a go to scorer.

Did anyone notice, that once Tay started to get love from the national press in the playoffs, that Chauncey seemed reluctant to pass Tay the ball? Or was I just imagining things?
  7. Superstarov

I noticed that Tay recieved some respect from the national press.:eyebrows:
  8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

To me, he just does not have the physique to play as many minutes as he does and be the go to guy. He just needs more rest game to game to be able to have the strength left at the ends of games to really make that work.

I think he has the awkward, hard to guard moves to be able to get his shot off about anytime but with his low weight to height ratio and not enough rest, he just will not be able to go where he wants to go to get his shot off with enough regularity.

When he gets down a few in minutes played, look out. He will off and running.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Tay's little lefty hook seems to find net most of the time...the only problem with it is that you don't see it often enough. Tay's fast, but he's not quick. I'd like to see him become more explosive off the dribble. HELP Arnie!!! Another 10-15# properly applied might get Tay some quickness.

Until that time comes I don't see Tay 'breaking out'. :ohwell:
  10. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I think he still defers. He showed up when no one else did in some of the playoff games b/c no one else was, so he picked it up. We could see him become a consistent second scorer, or more likely third scorer, if he wasn't the fourth option.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:confused: I thought Tay took a huge step forward. He carried this team on his back in the playoffs and he's only getting better. Tayshaun was a monster in thepostseason and I don't see him going away from that unless Flip doesn't see how good Tayshaun really is.
  12. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Yup. His majesty is ready.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Could we ask more of him, yes.
    Should we, yes.
    Will our balanced O allow this, no.
    Think he makes the Allstars, no. Too many guys can put up bigger numbers in a two dimensional O.
  14. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

I'm not sure what you all mean by "break out" but Tay will never average more than say 17 points per game. He's just not a full tilt scorer.

If by break out you mean Tay's going to get to that 17 this year then that's possible, but if you think he's going to get 20 a game then you're crazy.

He'll likely get around 15 a night combined with solid defense, some nice bursts of scoring, and some clutch moments on both sides of the ball. Tay's a team player and will try to fit in where he can instead of trying to score a ton. That's the way he is. He's pretty much the Sheed of SFs. He probably has the talent to do more, but will fill the cracks instead of being the show.

What I do hope is that he focuses on upping his boards by 1-2 a game. He's capable of pushing that up by going hard to the defensive boards. Without Ben there will be more of those available and his length combined with the inside position should allow him to get it done.
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

to me, Tay simply ain't no go to guy. Not that type of player to score 20+ppg. He is the personificated X- factor, the player who can give you the extra edge, who can give you the needed lift.
    I'd be happy if he'd score about 15ppg at 45+% shooting, 5-6 rpg and almost a block and a steal per game while improving his defense back to the level he played against T- Mac or Kobe in 2004.
    If he'd have a real breakout year, he could make this teram a real contender again- but as seen during the playoffs, he's a player other teams can adjust on and he's far from being a scorer who can score 20 on any given night and who can be taken out of the games only sometimes.
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

The only player on the current Piston roster that is capable of being a "go-to-guy" is Sheed, and he doesn`t want to be.

Tay is a guy who can score in bunches if needed to do so, as well as Rip, Sheed and Dyess at times. That is what makes this team special; that there is no one go to guy!!

To me, I like that concept because the opponent can`t focus on stopping one player. As someone metioned, Tay`s rebounding and inside post moves must improve. That little baby hook with his left hand seems to be the only move he has going to the hoop.

With Ben gone I think his rebounding will improve, especially the offensive rebounds. On the defensive side of the ball Tay must be mindful that Ben isn`t behind him anymore and not play matador defense. He and the other Pistons could do that at times when Ben was back there, Nazr will not strike fear in someone as Ben sometimes did.

This will be Tay`s year to be an All Star, and I expect him to have a good solid year.
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think this team has too many guys that are willing to defer and stay in the shadows. I wouldn't want an entire team of black holes like J-Max either, but we need to find a happy medium.

Sheed, Tay, CB and Rip are all too passive. Of those 4, I'd say Rip is the closest we have to a "go-to-guy". The problem was, we didn't go to him enough in the playoffs. At least some of that has to do with teams tightening down on our 1 consistent scorer, but a lot of it also had to do with the fact that he is our 1 consistent scorer!

Sheed is a floater and would rather jack up threes than go anywhere near the paint - on its own, not a bad thing. But - and now especially without Ben - its not a good thing either.

Tay is still too passive and streaky. He has the ability to take over games, and has a few times, but he needs to look for his own shot more - and go RIGHT for a change!

CB is a pass or 3 type of player. All or nothing. He doesn't look to drive his man enough - which he can do successfully against most guys in the league and either convert, draw the foul or both. He'd rather jack up a 3 on a 3 on 1 and go for the kill, than go for the sure points.

I'm not unhappy with the players we have. We just need to find a better balance and if getting other guys involved helps us do that, then what the heck are we waiting for?
  18. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

I think in order to be the "go to", two things have to happen: The offence has to go through you (kobe) or the point has to feed you (stockton to malone). Our team is not built in that fashion. Besides, how many of our coaches have already admitted that they don't call plays for Tay. He probaly has the highest IQ on the team, but defers because that's his nature. I think a major difference between him and Grant Hill is Grant didn't have much of a choice as far as being the go to guy. Put Tay on another team...maybe a different story.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If Chris Bosh can be a 20/10 player one day, Tayshaun can be an 18/8 player now.

I'd really like to see him pick up some more blocks and steals. 0.8 steals and 0.5 blocks seems very low for a man of his athleticism and instincts.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

If Tay was playing for Toronto he too would be a 20/10 player..NOW