Is Jason Next?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dozero, Jul 13, 2009.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First, I'll say I'm not sold on Davis either, but for different reasons. I'm concerned about his weight and whether he can keep it under control. He's a few double cheeseburgers away from playing at Shaq weight. That would seriously hurt a game that replies on hustle and speed. At that weight he may well be prone to injury too. And I'm not convinced he's really 6'9", though with his boxy shape it's hard to tell.

His Sprocket Points justified salary for last season was a little over four million, so he's clearly performing well above the rookie scale, and I don't think he has to do much more to earn a five year deal between 20 and 24 mil, maybe starting at $3.5 with ten percent raises.

I think I'd most disagree with the notion that he played a low pressure role. First, I don't think anyone gets off easy on a KG team. I bet he puts a lot of pressure on his teammates by himself. Second though, the kid played big when it counted (and single handedly took the Pistons apart at least once). Without bad shooting from Boston's backcourt he would have done enough to put that team past Orlando. He scored when he needed to and fought hard on the glass. He stared down some tough opposition once KG went down and played very well on a very high pressure stage.

I think he's got the heart, the mind, and many of the skills, but he needs to grow some more, and not on the outside.

2. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

KG made the man cry for Pete's sake!

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm down for replacing J-Max with Big Baby, if that's what we're talikng about here. If it's a matter of signing him as "the" solution to our current lack of a front line, I'd rather do something else.

...I hope that Villan is making a lot of calls to Toronto to recruit his homie.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If you want to talk about someone being overpaid wait until Bosh signs a max contract.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Seeing as how the name of this thread is, Is Jason Next, I think this is the red flag for bye bye Max, if Utah matches Portland's deal for Millsap that means Port would still be looking for a backup SF and Max surely would fit that mold. I'd take Big Baby as a backup PF playing a Corliss role.

6. BallDon'tLie

Who would you rather have? (that Joe could conceivably get)

Edited to add: ALL NBA players are overpayed.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Overpaid for production? For the scarcity of a player with his size and skills? For his marketability?

I am generally against max contracts, but we just watched a 4 team conference finals where every team had a max player type player. LBJ, Howard, Melo and Kobe.

Ideally, you draft a guy who has max talent, and play him on his rookie deal for $3 million a year, and he performs at a $12 million level.

But that is rare for a team that drafts as late and poorly as us.

The upside with Bosh is that he hasn't hit his prime yet.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Overpaid for his production and impact. His stats are a lot like David Lee's to me. I've seen him get physically dominated too many times for it to be a fluke.

9. BallDon'tLie

...yeah.

Kelvin Cato is available and is a lot more affordable anyway.

[​IMG]

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

And so was i until posters kept saying how if you're critical you need to come up with an elaborate alternative and/or a detailed new plan.

Did you forget the rest of the post? Selective quoteing?
    You specifically said and i quote

I stated i've heard he's an ofensive guy and then clarified my statements when we got more info and specifically said that if his claim to fame is the Cav's offense last year, it sucked and that he didn't have 'presence'.

I've even pointed out numerous times that i don't see where people are criticizing his experience level when other posters posted an in depth history of his coaching career.

I did not say a thing about his lack of experience in the coaching department.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, it would be nice if you could personally finance your proposals.

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If Joe is getting under the cap to make a trade, then it would likely involve Kwame or Jason. According to reports Joe's about $3.5 million under the cap. This isn't very useful when trading a guy like Rip, since the standard 125% plus $100,000 rule for trading when over the cap ends up being about $3 million. No big difference there.

Jason Maxiell on the other hand, can be dealt straight up for an $8 million player, depending on where his deal actually is.

I know some people are for and against certain players, and I'm not really trying to endorse any one guy in particular, but you'd have to think a player like David Lee is getting antsy and feeling like he's losing value the longer he goes without a contract while other teams with cap room quickly use theirs up.

The Pistons could send Maxiell to NY in a sign and trade straight up for David Lee, even if NY signed Lee to a 5 year, $50 million deal which would start at somewhere around $8 mil and receive 10% bumps annually.

I know some people would do this, some people wouldn't, some people probably even think this would be crazy. You're all probably right. :)

It's just an example to illustrate that Joe wiggling under the cap, if he were to make a trade, it would be one that involved Maxiell or Kwame, not a guy like Tayshaun or Rip.

14. Kez

Kez Second Round Draft Pick

whoops.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm not so sure about that Cloud, Max has a rookie extended contract, which gives him a Poison Pill Provision, we can dump Max's contract and gain about $5M, but his outgoing trade value is extremely low. We essentially need to find a team with cap room (OKC or Port, if Utah Matches) and just give them Max.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yea if i remember right his trade number is 2.5 million right now?

17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Well scrap the David Lee scenario but that doesn't change the situation. It only makes it more likely that he would be the player traded, if, and I say if, Joe's attempt to get under the soft cap was because he had a trade in mind.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Maybe, Maybe not, if we can dump his contract on someone we would indeed be under that cap by about $8M, but I'm not sure I would spend that on David Lee, I'd probably go after Wilcox AND Gooden. I just feel as if Portland would do a Max for a conditional 2nd-rdr trade.

19. max

max All-Star

I say trade him for 2nd round picks and/or cap space.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The big post-season story was how we were going to use our cap space to take on players that other teams had to dump for cap reasons.

That was either the biggest head fake Joe has pulled off yet or...