Is it wrong to run up the score in sports?

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by Darth Tater, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

108-3 Are you kidding me?

Generally, I say, if you don't want to get embarrassed then put up a fight.

If you are in professional sports I see no reason to pull back on the reigns. I hate it when teams cry about the other team running it up.Stop them if you can. Whiners.

The Dallas Cowboys cried and cried and complained when they said the Vikings ran up the score in the playoffs last year, but a game earlier the Cowboys TRIED to run it up on the Eagles in a lopsided game but the Eagles fought. As we saw this year, the Cowboys are quitters. Nobody to blame but themselves.

I feel the same way about college although not quite as strongly. If the administrators of a small school are willing to embarrass their University and kids by pitting them against a big time school then so be it. Again, I don't feel as strongly when it's a little school against a big one because it isn't the kid's fault. But, it isn't right to tell one team not to play their best. If it is, say, two Big Ten schools, I got no problem with running it up. When Wisconsin scored 70 against a Big Ten opponent in football, too damned bad.

I even feel that way about High School, Junior High, and lower.

Now I must admit I do feel a bit sorry for these high school girls. Maybe because they are girls (a terribly chauvenistic attitude on my part). HOWEVER, I agree with the coach of the winning team. It belittles an opponent to play down to them and also it isn't right to tell your kids not to play their hardest.

What do you think?

108-3 girls basketball rout raises questions - Prep Rally - High School  - Yahoo! Sports
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

My daughter plays in a soccer league and in their league they have one team who consistently blows out everybody else (I think their average winning score is something like 18-1). One thing I can tell you though is none of the girls on the losing teams are "crushed". Going in to the game, they know they'll lose and they cherish the small things ("we lost badly, but we scored 2 against them this time" etc.) And that really is life. Sometimes you run into obstacles that you can't overcome and you just need to deal with it. I think this sort of thing affects the parents more than the children that are on the field.

I actually think that it's wrong that the winning team's coach felt compelled to call and apologize. But I'm not surprised in this society where everybody is a winner and expects to get a trophy.

The only thing I feel is inappropriate is if you play dirty while blowing the other team out; flagrant fouls, unnecessary rough play, yelling at the referees etc. That stuff is never cool anyways, but it's especially bad when you're already winning by a large margin.
  3. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I agree with Walter.

I'm personally more offended when the opposing team stops trying.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes Yes Yes!!!

I totally agree with all of what you said, Walter. Those are my feelings exactly.

I've experienced the same kind of things with my kids. They get blown out and you never hear about it again. They don't care and they never think about it again. But society acts like it is so so wrong.

Toughen the hell up, people!!! Life works like that.

Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Is it wrong to win?
  6. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

no it is not.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Winning isn't everything.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There are things that you can do as a coach (e.g., play soft zone defense, no fast breaks, at least 5 passes before we look to score, etc.) that will lessen the humiliation of the opposing kids without telling your own kids to stop trying.
  9. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great point, listen up, pops & moms :).
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like to see how the losing team got those 3 points on the board. I'm guessing free throws.

ESPN should only show that team scoring and get them on SportsCenter with no mention of the blowout or the loss. It would be a nice top 10 highlight and some consolation for the life lesson that they endured.

By the way, they must have a Clueless Coach.
  11. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To me there is no such thing as running up the score. Those who complain about it are losers in the purest form.

Though in situations like this, there is little to gain for either team playing the game.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Various leagues are devised to prevent mismatches in sports. A score like that indicates that these teams shouldn't be playing one another because the event will be boring, and lack the competitive spirit that is intended. Both need to seek out more eqiitable competition.
  13. BillLaimbeer

If you're a coach and you are killing the other team, you leave in your starters? You continue to full-court press? You have your starting QB throwing long routes? Most good coaches "pull off the dogs" in order to avoid humiliating the other team and coaches. It's an unwritten rule of good sportsmanship.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree, to a point it is no different than bullying.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's it! The coach can control the game to an extent that the winning team is respectful. You don't leave your best players in the whole game. You don't mock the other team and you don't laugh and celebrate. Youth sports especially need to learn sportmanship.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No, that's just bad coaching. If the game was in hand you pull your starters to avoid unnecessary injury. Good sportsmanship is shaking the other teams hands after you demolish them! :MusicBigGrin:
  17. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

This is how I feel.
  18. BillLaimbeer

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Perhaps you guys have never played or coached sports.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's what it sounds like. For youth sports why would there be a need to demolish the other team of kids? What's are you getting out of it?
  20. BillLaimbeer

Even in professional sports...if you think running up the score is bad coaching, then these guys must be bad coaches: Mike Krzyzewski, Tom Landry, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Dean Smith, George Halas, Vince Lombardi, Bear Bryant, Phil Jackson, etc.