Is It The Coaching Or The Players, Chemistry?/This Team Scares Me

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Nov 12, 2006.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Whenever I see AI play, I think again about how he would be in a Piston uniform. And every time, I believe he would do us proud.

That guy never ever gives up on a game. He keeps throwing his body around in a totally fearless way. His injury problems would possibly hurt us but I think he would bring some real pride and fire to this team.

I could see trading CB and several fillers for him yet this season but I am not sure about during next summer. I think the sooner the better for getting him. And we probably will not be able to keep CB much longer, anyway.

2. max

max All-Star

I know what you guys mean about low FG% and injuries. But he has really improved his FG% since playing point and has been pretty much healthy for the past 2 seasons.

Problem here is that we would not want to turn into the Sixers in the process by giving up too much. If a deal can be worked out where we still get to keep Sheed, Rip and Tay then we could have a good 3 year window for another title. I still think we are contenders but AI would definetly improve the situation.

Can you imagine having someone to break down defenses and create havoc on the defensive end. AI would make everyone else better.

Still looking like a dream. Sixers probably asked for too much given that CB will opt out next summer.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This trade works on RealGm.Com Billups+Dyess+Davis=AI, man I would do that in a heartbeat, this would give Max and Amir more playing time and gives that spirit of FIRE from a player that wears the number 3 that is OBVIOUSLY missing now. Aww man imagine if we still had Ben+AI and LB(assuming the cheating whore tried to stay faithful).

4. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``They haven't made a player tougher than AI. Zeke is second as far as toughness pound for pound, in my humble opinion.''

If my memories of Game 6 of the 88 finals weren't so vivid, I might agree. I love Iverson. Before it was clear that Joe was gonna shift to team toward Flip's vision and not toward Ben's, I was 100% sure that the answer to our problems was bringing in Iverson. He came off career highs in FG% and elsewhere. Get that guy anywhere within sniffing distance of a ring and we might see a playoff performance for the ages, because the desire and the talent and the focus are there.

But without Ben and with Flip, it's pointless. If we can retool in a hurry to restore a decent interior defense and get a real coach, I'd be all for getting AI in the offseason. Worst-case scenario is that we don't win with him, but his expiring contract becomes valuable.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I have vivid memories of Zeke Game 6 as well...but have you seen the laundry list of injuries that Allen Iverson plays with. Jeesh!!! He is relentless and doesn't miss alot of time. Most players would have turned into a pure jump shooter by now after all that abuse.

6. hack

Nagging injuries vs. into the stadium on crutches. Plus, Isiah's our guy. Gotta go with the boyhood hero.

7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I have wanted AI for a couple of years now but people on the forum talked me out of it. And they were right. Before now, AI would have turned the Pistons into a team that noone was ready for and I can see that.

But now, this year even, I would love to see him here. The trade mentioned above works for me, but I have to wonder what would be in it to get the 76ers to go for it.

His abilities fit right in with a team like the Pistons are, this year, and it would allow JMax and some others more PT.

Pull the trigger, already. We might give Orlando a good run at it :stirthepot: !!

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

WE may be all up on it but what does Philly get? They have their own 3rd-4th tier players. Do they really need that many more.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oh that's just mean.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

"Iverson wore a sleeve on his strained left calf and Achilles tendon and participated in the entire practice."

I can't help but wonder how old his body really is?

11. hack

IMO he's got 2 good years left as long as there's no major injury. He'll fight the nagging stuff just fine, esp. with a contender.

12. roscoe36

Carbon dating will tell us!

13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Would you rather get AI in a trade sending CB to Philly, or risk losing CB and get nothing in return ala Ben.

If CB walks, we are in the same predicament that we were in last summer. Then Joe looks around the league to find a serviceable FA PG ala just like he did with Nazr.

Joe got caught with his pants down on Ben, It won't happen to him twice.

14. roscoe36

The surefire way to keep Chauncey is to overpay him. If that's Joe's plan, colour me scared.

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If there are only 2 choices, then I will go with the 1st one. I didn't know it was so simple. JOE!!! Git er Dunn!!!:6shoot:

16. max

max All-Star

The way I see it. If Billups is going to get 15mil/yr, which he probably will since some idiot GM is always willing to overpay, then we may as well spend the extra 3mil and get a real superstar.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

So have you conceded that this year is a tune-up year for the Pistons? Giving up CB & Dice together plays that tune. And Davis is a non-factor under Flip anyway.

CB's game has really fallen off since post-Allstar game...he looks like he put the RV on cruise control and walked back to the kitchen to make himself a sandwich. If he doesn't REALLY step up his game as the season progresses, his FA experience won't get him Ben money.

I'd make a play for AI since he still has a fire in his belly...even though it's surrounded by old fractured bones and countless muscle strains, sprains & contusions. The guy still has heart...hence...Piston DNA.

And I'm ALREADY laughing at the thought of AI and Sheed messin with each other off-court! :)

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

That's far too pragmatic. Are we talking about a sole owner who has a law degree, community superstar and knows something about business added value? Can he pull the trigger? What is the history of this club (and please leave aside the purchase of private jets; the stadium via the rich suburbs; and private boxes for you and me)?

19. max

max All-Star

I guess I should not be using the We when its not my money. Perhaps it is over simplification but I can see a paralled to purchasing say a car where for an extra $$ you get the deluxe package.

Nothing against CB but we ( Davison ) is going to get stuck overpaying him in order to keep him. An all-star and former finals MVP is very attractive to teams hoping to become contenders.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's classic. :pound: