Is it just me, or is LeBron becoming more likable?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I've come to realize that due to the increasing media influence, how a lot of people perceive celebrities has a lot more to do with their own level of confidence moreso than the person themself. Just a theory of mine. I don't have a problem with LeBron personally. Everything I've read about him and his past and the way he treats people has always seemed relatable to me.

As for a player, I root for him. He is currently the personification of basketball excellence. I love the game more than any organization or player, so I feel like I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't.
  2. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I know this is a Pistons forum so I might be in the minority here, but is that a bad thing? Mauling players can easily be interpreted as just bad defense. If I can't stop you, I'm fouling you.

I personally hate the "league is soft" narrative. It seems like the same old tired generational critique that occurs in sports, music, life, etc. I just think the rules and the game changed. I don't believe basketball to be a contact sport. I don't think that viewpoint above reproach and not saying you are necessarily making the same argument, but this seems like the best place to elaborate on this belief. And I don't think we can just pick players in and out of eras without full context. It almost always conveniently forgets to bring up any of the negative effects of that era.
    The Panda likes this.
  3. max

max All-Star

I started liking him somewhat when he joined the Heat and everyone hated him for it. Its almost like all the media love he used to get was what made him so unlikable.

Jordan enjoyed being "the man" and his game demanded it. In contrast I believe LBJ sought out a team where he would not have to be the main guy all the time. Just different games. In a team concept I would not dismiss LBJ over Kobe and Jordan. LBJ may not want to take the last shot in game 7 of the Finals but he will make everyone else around him so much better
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It wasn't a value statement, it was a statement of fact. The degree of difficulty was much higher if you wanted to score inside. Jordan played when the game was physically, much harder.

I think you need to watch some old clips of the Celts, Lakers and Pistons of the 80s.

My point was, they weren't fouls. Guys banged in the post. Guys handchecked on the perimeter. You got bumped, rubbed off, pushed, elbowed. Scorers earned their living making hoops not at the free throw line. It was a different style of play.

But this isn't a "back when everyone had a white picket fence" type statement. The league has made it harder to defend. Sub-super players get to waltz to the free throw line. Refs rarely just "let them play".

NBA basketball no longer resembles anything like blacktop basketball. As you go back in time, NBA basketball increasingly looks like the sort of basketball you'd see played at a YMCA on a Saturday morning.

My point exactly. The rules and game changed. And it got softer.

Maybe the coaching is better, the nutrition is better, the skill level is higher, the pace is better, what have you. IMO, Basketball (to paraphrase Steve Carell's Michael Scott) was like jazz. Now it is more like pop music.

Basketball is big business now. It's a product.
    Walter and jayborne like this.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Jay does have a point though that maybe Jordan wouldn't do as well playing in this drive and kick era.

I do think it is easy to forget how good Jordan was also. People might forget how good #8 Kobe was also.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You're only thinking of lebron's offense. He's a great defender and would be a brick wall if he could grab and bang 80's style. Jordan at 218 lbs was a featherweight in comparison.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't know how great a defender LBJ is. He is a triple double threat every single night.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Well, not to MJ, Magic, etc....anyway, that's your view. I've just made mine.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm coming around on Lebron. We're witnessing efficiency of historic proportions. The guy is a physical and athletic specimen. He's adding skills to his repertoire and systematically eliminating his weaknesses. And he's doing it against a league that is bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. If he plays even close to this level for the next five or so years (and collects the trophies/MVP awards/stats to show for it), I think he could easily become the guy we're talking about instead of Jordan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

LeBron is currently the best the NBA has to offer right now.
    Kobe should carry his luggage.......
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't like him the year our Pistons paved the way for his crowning in 2007, but afterwards I was cool with him. I like others hated the heat the first year of their three kings, but it was more about hating wade and riles, than Lebron. Was OK with him winning the titile last year, so that the media could get off his back. I would trade Stuckey, JJ, Max, Bynum , Villanueva and a draft pick for him any time:amen:
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

LeBron isn't a natural or pure 3-pt shooter which is what the Pistons need at SF so I don't know if he'd fit with Monroe and Drummond.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Has LeBron lived up to the hype yet? You've got to figure he's 98% of the way there at worst.

If Joe Johnson or Wade had a series like LeBron did when the Cavs lost to Orlando everyone would still be wondering how great they were. LeBron took a beating and not just for not shaking hands.

Anyone envision him as better than this when he first came about? Has he exceeded it? He's gotten better.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Colluding and shunning your home town (which was desperate for a championship) are contrbuting factors for his legion of haters. I don't hate him or his style of play, but would like him a lot better if he stayed with the cavs and recruited teammates there.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Dan Gilbert was never going to build a team around him for a Championship and thats a fact.

Lets not pretend that any superstar would have stayed there.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They were in the NBA Finals in his sophomore year. I don't see it being far fetched that he could have won a Championship there, especially if he would have been willing to forego salary and woo other players.

When you're that good, players will make a strategic decision to get on your bandwagon. Either way works out great for him obviously, but I just think he'd be a little more legendary and loved if he would have gone the loyal route and been the foundation instead of the hired gun.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

They got there almost on entirely on his back. Dan Gilbert never would have given him the space or the players necessary to win a championship. And he wasn't being paid Kobe money either.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He still isn't being paid Kobe money. LeBron has made $30 million over the last 2 years. Kobe has made $50 million.