Is anyone else THRILLED!?!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jun 28, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

#1 Reason to be excited - Rumors are circulating that Rasheed Wallace is going to join Mo Cheeks' staff. 1-There are few in the world who could instantly force our players to respect their coaching staff more. 2-The on-the-court intensity is going to increase two-fold, immediately, with Sheed on the staff barking at them (lazy player.. he's not going to allow for that as a coach). 3-PERFECT big man coach ~ on both sides of the court ~ for young Andre Drummond AND Greg Monroe (*and Tony Mitchell, namely motivation-wise). 4-Voted as the highest-IQ player in the league - by NBA GM's - multiple times; he's going to be a great asset to the staff from an x's and o's perspective. 5-Established respectful relationship with Mo Cheeks, recommended him to Joe-D, in fact. Six-Already got some experience as an assistant coach on Mike Woodson's staff last season after suffering a season ending injury (he wasn't just hanging around, his official title was assistant coach).

#2) I LOVE the Caldwell-Pope pick. Best shooter in the entire draft, arguably. More than enough size and athleticism to guard his position. A hard worker on and off the court, great character, great intangibles guy (McLemore wasn't). Really, really fills a need for us. Sounds like he's not much of a play-maker with the ball in his hands. Neither was Rip Hamilton. That's your NBA comparison right there.

#3) I LOVE the Tony Mitchell pick. If you haven't youtube the fella. LeBron James has NOTHING on him as an athlete (not joking). He's even got a little size on James. He's the perfect pick as an anti-LeBron defender. If he works hard, he could become a very useful offensive player as well (at least a little skilled in every area). Not being able to read or write (well) and problems with his second college coach were his problems. Motivation shouldn't be a problem with Sheed on staff here. Nor should ego. Lotto-level talent we got in the second, rare.

#4) I Like the Siva pick too. Could potentially be an upgrade over Bynum as our third point. Size and Shooting are going to limit him from ever being much of a player in the league. But shouldn't your third point be pass-first anyways? Just saw him in one game - the championship game - but I thought he was one of the more impressive college players I saw all season. Loved his athleticism and how he attacked the basket efficiently in transition. Loved how he ran that team. Seemed to be the driving-force behind that championship squad from a personality perspective too - which is a deal. Not bad at all for where he was taken.

#5) Free Agency. Hearing that Iggy is our #1 target. Offer him more than anyone else and we'll get him. Established, respectful relationship with Mo Cheeks. One of the best perimeter defenders in the league - need one. Slashing, passing offensive style contrasts well with KCP, Singler, Middleton, etc. Intangibles wise, all-A's. It'd make a big big difference.
    ...5-B: Need to sign a good veteran point to backup Knight as well. Might as well be Calderon, right?
    ...5-C: Need a good third big man. Someone better than Max. Idk who right now. Fishing for suggestions.

Six) Brandon Knight/Mo Cheeks. I am one who personally believes that Brandon Knight still has a great deal of potential. He's got great height, and will have excellent size if he continues to work hard and pack on muscle (seems like a hard-working kid). One of the best athletes in the league at his position - - could become a great defender and fast-break runner with work. Outside shot continues to improve and he could become a real threat before it's all said and done up top. NEVER going to be a slashing, ultra-instinctive, penetrating, eyes in the back of his head machine like CP3, Parker, etc. But he doesn't HAVE to be. Mo Cheeks wasn't. Simply running the offense, putting the ball where it's supposed to go, protecting it, not turning it over, being able to run with it, being a threat to knock down shots from up top - - there's nothing wrong with that. He's a smart kid who works hard and wants to learn. I want to see what Cheeks can do with him. Still a very young man too, 21, college-junior aged. Just a little older than Burke/MCW and a little younger than CJ. Lots of NBA experience under his belt too.

C: A. Drummond, *(???)*, V. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, J. Jerebko
    SF: *A. Iguodala(?), T. Mitchell, K. Middleton
    SG: K. Caldwell-Pope, K. Singler
    PG: B. Knight, *J. Calderon(?), P. Siva

I'm excited ladies and gentlemen. Heat are still kings, and we're not going to knock them off. Pacers, Nets (now) and Bulls (with a healthy Rose) would still be a little bit ahead of us. But I'll think we'll be right there in that next tier...and with a lot of room to improve.

...Third big-man ideas?
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

How on earth did we get Tony Mitchell? I mean this guy is most probably a top twenty pick, at worst a first rounder. That is a total steal!

Let's not run away to much. I don't think KCP is ready to start and Mitchell needs work too. But I would hope that the needle creeps closer to .450 now we have a legitimate runner/spacing guard.
    blueadams and linwood like this.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Love your enthusiasm, Blue!

[​IMG]

Maybe a jersey...
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I am excited also although I was more excited when I thought Mitchell was a 4. The Pistons are saying he can play both forward spots.

I think Sheed will do a great job with Drummond. The only part of Drummond's game I didn't like was how he played with his hands down and kind of slouched over on D.

I believe in Knight. I don't want to hear what he can't do, I want to hear what he can. Let him push the ball up the court and look to score.

As of now I see the Pistons like this.

C: A. Drummond, G. Monroe, V. Kravtsov
    PF: G. Monroe, T. Mitchell, Antonio McDyess (Coming out of retirement to play for Sheed and Mo Cheeks.)
    SF: K. Singler (gulp), K. Middleton, T. Mitchell
    SG: K. Caldwell-Pope, Ken English, K. Singler
    PG: B. Knight, W. Bynum, P. Siva

Chuckles, Stuckey and Jerebko "suit" up behind the bench.
    BallDon'tLie and blueadams like this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A SF with a 7'3" wingspan is a little unusual.

I do like the Mitchell pick purely because of his potential. His fall was legit IMO though because of troubling leadership/ attitude issues. His team seems to have quit last year with their new coach. We have been down that road and it isn't pretty. The best player on the team is the one responsible for things like that and that was him.

Siva was also who I would have picked at that spot.

And Sheed's presence is perfect for this team with a new coach. He gets on guys and stays on them in a non coach type way. And he can still bang with them in the post in practice to get their respect.

It seems to me that we now have some pretty good, but unnecessary guys under contract that are now tradable or not resign worthy (because we have cheaper, younger versions of them). Jerebko, Maxiell, Stuckey, Villanueva come to mind. Of those, JJ and CV are probably most useful as stretch 4's with our other bigs who can't shoot. Stuckey is about as useless as it gets for us and might be OK with another team that needs penetration and/or a backup combo guard.
  6. blueadams

The 2013/14 Salary Cap is expected to be 58.5M. Right now, based on that number, we have 23.3 M in cap-space. Subtract (about) 2.4 M for KCP, (about) 0.5 M for Mitchell, and (about) 0.5 M for Siva, and we have 19.9 M in cap space. Add 8.six M for Villanueva (amnesty) and 4.3 M for Stuckey (half of his contract, bought out), and we have 32.8 M in cap-space.

32.8 M

According to ESPN (NBA Free-Agent Rankings 2.0 by Espn Insider - Pantip), Iggy is expected to command 11.5 M in annual salary. That'd leave us with 21.3 M in cap space. MUCH more than necessary to sign my top two choices: Millsap (projected 8.0 M) and Calderon (projected 3.1). In fact, it'd leave us with about 10 M in cap space. Plenty of room to overpay for these free agents, as I'm sure we'll need to.

C: Drummond, Millsap(PF), Kravtsov
    PF: Monroe(C), Jerebko
    SF: Iguodala, Mitchell, Middleton
    SG: C-Pope, Singler
    PG: Knight, Calderon, Siva

I LOVE that team. I'd also strongly consider West > Millsap and Jack > Calderon.

...I wrote down the below for my own purposes and don't want to delete it:

*West(11.1), (R)Pekovic(11.0), Jefferson(10.0), *Millsap(8.0), Hickson(7.25), (R)Splitter(7.0), (R)Mozgov(4.5), Anderson(4.5)

Iguodala(11.5), (R)Evans(7.75), Mayo(7.5), (R)Kirilenko(7.5), Reddick(six.5), Allen(six), Martin(5.5), Webster(4.5), (P)Smith(4.0), Korver(4.0), (R)Neal(3.0), Belinelli(3.0)
    (R)Teague(7.5), (R)Jennings(7.0), Ellis(six), Jack(4.5), Calderon(3.1), Robinson(3.0)
  7. blueadams

I think his use as a "three" primarily would be to guard LeBron-types.
  8. blueadams

I think Sheed would really be able to speak to someone like Mitchell, from a motivational standpoint.

Didn't C&P this aspect. But I don't see a major problem with JJ being a part of the roster. Depth and versatility isn't a bad thing to have. I have him penciled into my ideal roster.
  9. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I wonder who started the conversation about Sheed joining the staff. Sheeds camp, Cheeks, or Joe. I bet it was Cheeks.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

When I read this I picture Joe asking things like, "How come you didn't boycott practice?" and "Do you regret not ridiculing your coach publicly more?"

"You need some sandals big man?"
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Ernies roster looks pretty good if we manage to get Iggy and BK shows improvement under Cheeks.
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    How about Tay?
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The FA signing(s) are the missing ingredient right now. Hard to evaluate this roster without them, since we should be buying our 1st or 2nd best player.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not unheard of. Just unusual... in a good way.
  15. Mogilny

Sounds like Loony Tony could be a star. Mo might be the perfect coach to get this madman back on track.

2013 NBA Draft Results: Detroit Pistons select Tony Mitchell with 37th overall pick - Detroit Bad Boys
  16. Mogilny

Siva - another Bynum for a third of the money?

2013 NBA Draft Results: Detroit Pistons select Peyton Siva with 56th overall pick - Detroit Bad Boys
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Please, please, please, please, please do not assume or add into your calculations that we're ever in a million years going to amnesty someone.

Because I'd say the odds of Joe amnestying someone are just slightly better than Joe hiring Zeke to coach this team.

It ain't happening.
    KGREG likes this.
  18. Mogilny

Kenny rebounds like crazy and is projected to be a good defender:
    • Measurables: 6-foot-5, 205pounds, sophomore guard from Georgia
    • Key Stats: 18.5 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.0 blocks per game; 44 percent shooting
    A lineup of BK, Kenny T, Iggy, Monroe and Dre could be the best defensive and rebounding lineup in the L.
    Laimbrane likes this.
  19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not (yet). This team DESPERATELY needs a PG. Either extent Calderon or sign one. Trey Burke would have been the perfect fit. Right now, the team has Stuckey, Knight (sorry, but is definetely not a PG, at least not a decent one) and Kentavious and a gaping hole at the PG slot.
  20. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Agree with Roscoe that all players will be staying.
    Biggest factor this season will be the mesh of old and new players.
    Where will the player leadership come from?
    We've added 3 potential pieces to our puzzle in the draft.
    We may still do nothing significant in the free agent market.
    Stuckey may show up and surprise fool everybody again.
    I just don't see Calderon signing here again though.
    and that says a lot about our ability to attract quality FAs.