Indiana Pacers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Sep 12, 2005.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

rip's head can be messed with. he probably was just as pissed off with lb's insistance on running the same play instead of drawing up some new ones to get him open. even stan van gundy drew up some new plays to get his boy wade open. surely hof lb can do that. rip had a bad series but i don't think it was totally rips fault.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope Rip works on his post game because we could really use that against San Antonio When Bowen switches on Chauncey, and mijit Parker is gaurding Rip.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rip let Bowen get into his head. Period. It's on Rip for not keeping his composure against arguably the most annoying player in the league. Bowen drives every one he covers to the brink of insanity.

But Rip was a defending champ and should have showed more discipline. I don't buy the BS that everything was on LB. The players have to be accountable for what happens on the court, otherwise everything good Rip has ever done in the last 2 years is due to LB drawing up the right plays for him.

Rip screwed up. Heck, he was such a mess he couldn't even dominate Parker in Game 7. SHAME ON HIM. I love Rip, but sometimes the players you love just plain screw up.

This culture we live in where the finger always gets pointed elsewhere will be the downfall of western society. Accountability. Great players have it.
  4. bball jay

no i didn't say everything was lb's fault. i said everything wasn't rips fault. i dont' know about you but if my main offensive player is having trouble scoring i change the plays up to get him open. even if that means bringing in darvin ham to lay some serious wood on bowen a few times. rip was frustrated by the dirty play of bowen but rip would not have been frustrated if he was getting open after the holding and grabbing. rip was playing handicapped against a player that was very good at guarding that style of play and the defensive player knew the play every time.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah. If you want to blame Brown for the plays he called or the players he chose to use , that's arguable at least. I don't see how you can blame a guy in a suit standing near the bench for a player get ticked off and messing up because he was angry about getting bumped by another player or whatever.
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Agreed Micro Rip let it go to far on a one game basis I can see but letting it get to him over the series was plain ol' stoopid.But he got caught up in it hopefully he stepped back and learned from it.

As far as Indy we handle them when it counts and this year we have an upgraded bench I think so with that and the mission we should be on to knock the chip off our shoulders the series with Indy if it happens won't last long.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I was so ticked the way we lost for about 3 weeks then it popped into my head that overall this could help the Pistons. Yeah I know this sounds stupid because how could losing in a Game 7 be good especially in the Finals? But I thought that this could make our players even more determined to win so our team would become even better. Also I thought this could teach the Pistons to finish off a team when they got an opening not to just make comebacks.
  8. roscoe36

bball jay, the list of players that have lost their cool against Bowen is large. It's not plays. It's patience, confidence and discretion. Something we lacked all year.

Rip is 50/50 when he gets mad. He either goes off, or shuts down. Game 7 wasn't a good time to roll the dice. Those comments he made in the press about Bowen after Game 3 or 4 didn't help either. You never bait or taunt an opponent in the press. Not a guy like Bowen who takes a lot of pride in playing hard every single second he is on the court.

Yeah, LBs offense lacked creativity. But Bowen was DPOY runner up. You aren't going to create some magical play to fool him. He's a legit lock down defender. His sole purpose is to shoot 3s and lock down the other teams best PG-SG-SF-PF. And he is one of the best at that. The dude embarassed Ray Allen and Shawn Marion earlier in the playoffs. Gotta give props to Bowen for being flat out better.
  9. bball jay

i don't think rips frustration was with the bumps. his frustration was not getting open looks and not knocking them down. if rip was still putting up 20 a night he would have smiled in bowens face after every game. i blame brown for not getting his #1 scoring option open. pop knew rip is what makes our offense go and he shut that down. lb did not adjust rip's anger has nothing to do with lb not making the adjustment. he should have made the adjustment before rip got mad. but it's ok we have a coach in here that will run more than 1 play.
  10. roscoe36

Just to interrupt.

This is our best debate so far. Thanks bball jay. It feels good to argue a bit. I sometimes wander back to the News just to kick dirt on someone's shoes. :)
    -
    -
  11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Bball Jay I'll agree he prolly knew the plays Rip was running but being my team or not Rip was doing just as much shady holding,flopping and whatever "veteran"
    savvy moves he could.Reggie did the same stuff when he played.Not taking away from his skills but he ain't innocent.
  12. bball jay

bowen didn't just become a defensive player when he stepped on the court during the finals. lb knew of this before the finals and still ran the same play over and over. once he saw pop would switch bowen onto chauncey for abusing the pg's he should have unleashed chauncey the first couple plays of the game to get bowen off of rip our main scorer. if bowen is such a great defender why go at him every game? especially when you have other options and mismatches all over the court. the rip vs. bowen matchup was the one matchup against san antonio we didn't have the offensive mismatch with and that's who lb decides to run our offense towards.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think the next time we face San Antonio in a series (06 Finals) we don't force Rip to do offense I think we should go where there is disadvantages and that's Chauncey beating down Parker, Tayshaun posting Manu, Sheed going down low on Horry, and attacking their center with Sheed, Dice, and even sometimes Ben.
  14. bball jay

i agree rip wasn't innocent. rip holds and pushes off to get open too. but like i said i don't think the pushing holding and whatever is what frustrated rip. i think it's the lack of open shots. i think it's the lack of scoring. if rip was getting held and pushed but still scoring and still getting open looks then he wouldn't have got frustrated. this to me falls on the coach especially after the first game when rip got frustrated. lb should have changed things up to make sure rip got better shots and wasn't frustrated again.
  15. roscoe36

Hey, in the seventh game of a series, everyone knows everyone's plays. Basketball is not like football where you try a crazy double reverse or a flea flicker, fake punt what have you. It's a game of repetition and execution. The plays worked for 2 years. They just were not executed better than SA defended them.

Anyway, I don't think I have anything else to contribute here. Good debating fellers.
  16. bball jay

finally a poster than knows what he's talking about. except for the postup with ben part. we have mismatches all over the court against san antonio lets take advantage. dice was ripping san antonio apart. chauncey was abusing parker, sheed abusing whoever they put on him. this year tay's post up will be more effective because darko will be in the game and ben 's man won't just double team tay and tay won't have anywhere to go with the ball. those days are over.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If hope we really exploit the Tayshaun mismatch so that Ginobili would be less effective on the Offensive end. Also Tayshaun will not be as worn out like he was against Wade, and Ginobili since we got back-ups for him so they might even be less productive.
  18. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Guy's need to stop standing around expecting Rip to put on his cape and save the day. Too many times we have seen Rip have to force his shot because his teammates go into almost a commatose state and don't want the ball. Hopefully the offense will be more diverse and other guy's will feel more confidence by the post season to take a shot when the game is one the line.
  19. ArmchairQB

ArmchairQB Second Round Draft Pick

RC Play-Off Coaching

I am surprised that people still claim RC is not a good play-off coach. He has a far better play-off record than Flip, and one of the better playoff winning percentages among all coaches after only four years. I give the Pacers a clear coaching edge until Flip shows otherwise.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Carlisle couldn't get us to the Finals, and he couldn't and won't get Indiana to the Finals. We have to get through some of the playoffs before we can see if my theory is right, but you can't say Flip is not a winning coach yet because he stayed with the same team his whole NBA coaching career, and maybe the Timberwolves players aren't winners?