Home Indiana Pacers Saturday, March 15, 2014

Discussion in 'March 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Indiana Pacers

Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons played their first back to back game in 18 days on Wednesday so it is no surprise the NBA gave them a couple of days off to rest up. After this game the Pistons have 3 more days off.

They do play a back to back next Fri/Sat, March 21st and 22nd making it the 3rd such occurrence in a month!!! They've managed this brutal schedule despite already having 2 5 day breaks not counting the All Star break this season.

WTF, why even field a bleeping team?
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

This is second game of a back-to-back on the road for the Pacers.
    They need this one to stay ahead of Miami in the Eastern Conference.
    We need this one to...oh, never mind.

Pacers 118 - Pistons 102
  4. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Aslong as Bynum and Singler are playing we're doomed.............
  5. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

With all these days off the Pistons are probably gonna wear flip flops in the game (just like during training)
    New coach Maurice Cheeks wastes no time in showing Detroit Pistons who the boss is | MLive.com
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Every team plays 82 games over the course of 5 1/2 months. I haven't analyzed schedules, but I imagine that most teams' schedules are similar to Detroit's as far as back-to-backs, consecutive days off, etc.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dre goes down and Pistons respond with inspired play on both ends on their was to a big half time lead of 19 points. At one point the lead was 25, courtesy of a monster put back jam by JJ, but a late run including a 3 by Paul George with less than 7 seconds left in the half, gets the Pacers closer. Pistons lead 60-41 at the half.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  8. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This is what happens when you have balance and don't clog up your team with front-court guys. No disrespect to Drummond, of course, but Smith is so much better when he's playing PF.
    brofmfa and LA Dre like this.
  9. LA Dre

When the Pistons give up 100 points......they normally always lose....lets see what happens now with the scored tied 98 with 51 seconds left....
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  10. BillLaimbeer

I will still maintain that Drummond is better in smaller doses (28 mpg).
    linwood likes this.
  11. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

TANK STILL ROLLIN
  12. BillLaimbeer

Yea, that was perfect. Good, strong effort.

The loss moves Detroit out of the Disaster Zone and into the #8 spot in the lottery standings by 1/2 game.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and linwood like this.
  13. LA Dre

Well if the refs had just seen that step out bounds by George before he passed to Lance Stephenson for the game tying 3 with 1.48 left in regulation, the Pistons may have held the Pacers below 100 and more importantly won the game....But that tied the score at 96 and after the teams swapped buckets, the Pacers got 100 first and even though the game went into OT, tied at 100 the percentages had this one already in the Pacers win column, and everyone watching knew that we were doom.

With no Dre, the Pistons were killed on the boards 62-44. Jennings took too many threes (2-7 on his way to 3-13 shooting), and Stuckey took too many shots to basket as opposed to giving up the rock. He had 5 assists, but 6/19 shooting to get 19 points is was what we got from him. After six years, he still has not learned how to finish a fast break.

The only player on the floor to take more threes than Jennings was Paul George, who was 2-10, but still was a force on the floor scoring 30 points.

Despite the Piston heroics in the first half, 1-9 shooting by the Pistons and six points by David West in OT and the game was over.

The Hawks and the Knicks won, so we have fallen another full game back if the playoff final spot and tightened our hold on the 8th spot in the lottery sweepstakes.
    Lee356 likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Perfect outcome. Exciting game with a virtual victory and a bad call that gave us the much needed loss.
    linwood likes this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I now understand where TAS is coming from. He wants the Pistons to lose, that is why he rails against any suggestions I give to improve the Pistons. Great. To each his own. Me, I want the Pistons to win. I believe a team that is in the habit of losing to get better draft picks will just keep losing. And losing.

In this game, our coach found a new way to lose. Play CV at center. CV did hit a couple of threes. But he is no center. Singler did some scoring as well, but he is no NBA player. His defense gave up a whole lot, and he was minus 9 in this one. Sure, I hollered as loud as anyone else when Singler nailed a triple. But unlike others on this forum, I also have a habit of of really hating on the times we get burnt by Singler being out there. In this game, in particular, in the last moments, they burnt us by out quicking Singler, and getting an easy hoop off that. I hate that. I hate to see the Pistons lose. Singler should not be playing. Draft picks will not get the job done.

For instance, pretty much the best player we have had on the team of late, Middleton, was given away as a "throw in" on a trade. I doubt sincerely Dumars will get a darn thing our of this years pick. Getting picks, with no plans of ever developing any of them, is quite pointless. Failure, as a plan, does not work. Because you will just keep failing.

In 2000, the Pistons were not that good. But they tried their darndest to win games. And by that, we identified some players that were part of the puzzle. Wallace. Corliss. Two very important pieces. This season, with the philosophy of losing, who are we identifying as pieces of the puzzle? More like we are looking at every player who does not belong. The complete wrong direction.

JJ did good in this game. He did not get rewarded with that much more in terms of minutes. Instead, Singler got the minutes at small forward in the 2nd half that JJ should have gotten. Coach just does not believe in rewarding good play. Instead, he has a clear agenda, to lose.

Time and again, Singler, if in position to rebound, and if there were any other players around, did not get the rebound. And time and again, Singler got beat, and got scored upon. In contrast, JJ got the rebound, and defended the play. And looked good on offense himself. He could not really have played any better, done anymore to earn more minutes in this 0ne. PS, Singler played the entire 2nd half and OT. All at small forward.

Well, I have watched the game twice now. Nothing changed my opinion from the first viewing. Some may choose to hate on Jennings, but he was in there every moment as the team got out to a twenty point lead. He played well into the 2nd quarter. Monroe had a very nice double double, and Smith scored a ton. Stuckey was just minus two for the game. He was not efficient, as he took too many long outside shots. Not his strength at all. But neither was he all that bad. Bynum was pretty much invisible. He got to play more in the 2nd half, even though, again, it was Jennings out there in the first half that got us the 20 point lead. Obviously, if he had cut Bynum out anymore, he would have been fired, so what can you say.

The outcome of this one was far overshadowed by the concern for the health of Drummond. I believe I heard he is ok. Great news. But him being injured was no excuse to have CV in the game. That is totally Dumars fault for having him on the squad. Mitchell could have stepped in and played D. I guess that is a dirty word to Loyer? Or is he just flat out ordered to lose games.

Positive spin. Never do they mention that Singler got burned. But I know they know what is going on. Tough to be the announcers for this team these days. Chief excuse makers.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons never seem to have 7-8 guys who play well together. They always seem to have 2 distinct groups that can't interact.

Even with the big lead the Pistons basically took their starters out with 7:32 left in the first half and never put them back in.

Paul George is something else. What an athlete.

The Pistons need a Lance Stevenson type, game and attitude. Not with Smith and Jennings though.

I enjoyed watching the Pacers, they're interesting.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I missed the game. Thanks for the recap, Lee.

Yes, Dre, its unreal, but the Pistons are in the 8th spot. I do want the pick. There is a danger that a team leapfrogs over the Pistons in the lottery moving the Pistons to the 9th pick and then Charlotte will get the pick. I hope not.

Did any Pistons hit more than one bucket in the last 5 minutes of the regulation with Indiana pounding down on the Piston lead? That kind of production is always noteworthy, win or lose. What about overtime--4 points. What happened to the offense?
  18. roscoe36

We've graduated from "You don't watch the games" to "You want the Pistons to lose"
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, he graduated himself. He cheered the loss. Take the time to read the posts.
  20. roscoe36

Now we have graduated from "You don't watch the games" to "You want the Pistons to lose" to "Read the posts"
    Lee356 and linwood like this.