Home Indiana Pacers Saturday Feb 23 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Indiana Pacers

Saturday Feb 23 2013 - 7:30 PM EST

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

TV: FS Detroit

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!
  2. roscoe36

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Man, I was watching that live. All the commentators, led by Steven A. Smith, kept calling Pistons fans punks and every other name in the book. They went to commercial break and during that break Joe D. called ESPN and chewed them out. After the break, they all changed their tone and retracted their statements about Pistons fans. Dumars had handled that sad day very well.

BTW, Pistons by 5.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think I was playing darts at the 8-ball when that happened.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Vampire?
  7. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

I hope Indiana goes all the way
    linwood likes this.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Still waiting for someone from the forum to state that they were there at the Palace that night....:bs:
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I was not at the Palace that night. I was living in an apartment on Lafayette and Van Dyke. The game was over, but there were still about 10 minutes left to play. I walked down to the corner store for some Bettermaids and a 40, talked to my neighbor for a minute, walked back home, sat on the couch just in time to see this happen:

Someone added a funky soundtrack.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  10. LA Dre

boy do the Pistons miss BK 7 and Drummond...score at the end of one Pacers 16-, Pistons 9. It could have been worse, but the Pacers had 8 turnovers and three of their bigs got two fouls each. It was 10-2 when I tuned in at the 7 minute mark and for over 4 minutes, the score was stuck on 10-5. Pistons started the game 1-17 from the field. Still in it though, so there is hope....
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. LA Dre

Hey we even took the lead thanks to a 12-0 run, but then our starters came back in and Pacers close half on 12-0 run to lead 39-28.

Half time stat of the night so far.....Will Bynum 6-10 from the field, and rest of the Pistons are 5-30.....including 1-9 from the moose man....
  12. LA Dre

Well, no morale victories tonight other than we held the Pacers under 100 pts and held the return of Danny Granger to 1-10 shooting.

Sad state of affairs, or just plain good defense by the Pacers when Bynum only plays in the second qtr and then the first three minutes of the 4th and still leads the Pistons in scoring with 15 points. He was tossed on soft punch to the tummy by tough in the Paint player Tyler Hansborough who should have been nominated to win an Oscar for his performance of bending over after the light punch...

Middleton deserves more PT....over both Max and JJ.....at this point in the season, who can argue with it.

Monroe at one point is 1-11 missing everything around the hoop, because he has not learn to jump and dunk at the same time. (finished 4-16 with 12 points).

Charlie BoT.....1-11...looked to me that he was tossing up shots without looking at the hoop...

Slava...14 minutes, 0 pts, 0 boards...

Pacers 20 turnovers and they still beat Pistons by almost 20 points
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Sounds like a playoff run for the Pistons...
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Middleton played well.

To no surprise, coach put in very little effort. His total lack of effort is why we lost. He would not change what needed changing. We start 1-17. Finally, Stuckey comes out of the game. So does Calderon. Bynum looks good. With Bynum, English, Middleton, CV, and Kravtsov, we go on a 12-0 run to actually take the lead. We hang on to within a few points - until, Stuckey comes back into the game. And they finish with a 12 - 0 run to finish the half to negate our run. Note, Bynum was in for that, and ended up negative a bit for the game. Bynum is by no means part of the answer. He just was put out there with a decent unit. Heck, even Calderon looked pretty decent after Bynum got kicked out of the game. By accident, Calderon got to play with a shooting guard for a few moments. But of course, soon, Stuckey came back in and all hope was lost.

I am probably exaggerating just a bit when I say we were about 1 for 40 on sets with Calderon at point and Stuckey acting as the shooting guard. Look. Stuckey will not even take an outside shot. To run him along side Calderon is just crazy. To do it repeatedly despite total and complete failure is beyond any explanation. Fire the coach.

English looked good. Only player plus in the first half. So he did not get to play in the 2nd half. Kind of strange.

I still do like Stuckey's drives in. Only they should be as our backup point. They would fit into a winning strategy then. Instead, Stuckey is played at shooting guard, to our total detriment.

CV was horrid both ends. He did nail that 3 that got us a lead for a moment. Other than that, hey, need to find someone on a ten day so we don't have to play the guy.

Who should start next game: Calderon, English, Middleton, Kravtsov, Monroe.

Bench: Stuckey, Singler, JMAX (at small forward), (someone on a ten day contract) (someone on a ten day contract)

Other observations. For much of the game, Indiana could basically shoot all they wanted until the ball went in the hoop. We never played a front line that could clear the defensive glass.

We did turn up the defensive intensity vs. last night. But no amount of effort can make Stuckey any sort of shooting guard. The fact our starting unit went somewhere around 1 - 40 is all on coach, not player effort. He has to realized he is the problem. He won't, so really, he has to be fired.

Singler was off. Could be playing a back to back, in a series of games that have come quick together. In any case, he was not getting it done, so there was no reason at all not to play English instead in the 2nd half for the subs.

Monroe's game got a lot better all the sudden when he came in with the subs for a spell. What a difference a spread floor makes. For Calderon's shooting too.

For a change, Bynum's defense was not horrid in this game. Actually, that has more to do with the fact of whether the other teams uses taller guards. Tonight, that matchup was ok. Next night, probably will see the opponent laugh as they fire it right over Bynum. There is nothing magical about Bynum's game. For some reason, at least for a good deal of the time, coach runs ok teams with Bynum in at point. We simply need to run ok teams for Calderon, Stuckey, and Knight when he returns. (Knight is apparently day to day on a hyperextened knee.) But we only ever need two point guards for any given game. (Not 4, as coach Frank insists upon at every opportunity - and again, he probably yelled at Dumars for not trading for a taller point guard he could run at center.)

Middleton scored in a variety of ways, and looks adept at driving in and dumping the ball off inside. With Bynum calling his own number so much (and virtually every time toward the end of his stint) its amazing that Middleton scored as much as he did. Sure would like to see him start and actually get a steady diet of feeds from Calderon. And Defense? The guy looks rock solid so far.
    LA Dre likes this.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The last few games shows that the Pistons cannot compete at the top levels in the league. Memphis, Indiana, and also remember that Miami game on a Friday night at Miami. When top teams come out and play, the Pistons cannot answer, especially without Drummond. So, it is important to lock down that 9th seed to get a true point guard to rotate and learn from Calderon and or a shooter. The Pistons simply do not have experienced shooters as most NBA teams do.

This season would have been dismal without Drummond...he saved the season.

Moving forward: here is my list of players that should be moved in order of importance.

1)Stuckey. The way the team is being constructed around Monroe and Drummond, he does not fit. His game is not in the flow. Lee is right that he is not a shooting guard and Micro is right then that makes Stuckey "superfluous."

2)Bynum: Yes, he has his moments and has improved his game but I am in the Lee camp on him. He is just not quite good enough--better to go in another direction.

3) Maxiel: Yes, he plays hard but his is just not good enough for the position.

4)CV: Yes, he wants his option/money. My problem with CV is not how bad his defense is (have you watched Bonner on the Spurs?) but that he is really not that good a shooter. Bonner can shoot; CV is a mediocre shooter.

5)JJ: Yes, I too loved him as a rookie. But after 3 years, still his shot is rough. He still has no game around the hoop. He has not improved.

The future of this team will hinge on just how well Drummond and Monroe can play together and whether they can continue to step up their play, year to year. Monroe was somewhat disappointing this season--I expected more. The team needs a big man coach to work with both.
  16. roscoe36

I like Will and make no secret about that, but I am open to moving him or dropping him. But who do you replace him with? It's not as simple as saying, "this guy is not good enough, try someone else".

I look around the league, and very few teams have one, let alone two good PGs.

Agreed.

Also, didn't watch either of the Indy games. Had other stuff going on, not surprised we got tuned. Indiana can play defense. We can't. Rodney Stuckey might be my most disliked Piston of all time. It started with the hugging, and is ending with his inability to effective each night. People say Bynum is bad, and that may be true, but he is 2 or 3x the baller Rodney is.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This has become a total big brother v little brother match up. Indy is just too strong and athaletic.

I like Middleton!
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like to bring Will Bynum back. He has limitations but he can be a spark for the second unit. Plus he punched Tyler Hansborough last night. He gets credit for that.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Bynum is good at what he is... a backup PG. If folks want to rate him as a starter thats where they/we get in trouble. If he fixed all his faults then he would be making alot more then we pay him, and he'd be a starter somewhere... LOL

I'm ready to move on from Max but he should be in the same thought process, he's a great energy guy for limited mins... but it has to be off the bench he is by no means a starter in the NBA.

The last two nights we have started 2 players that should be starting in the League... the rest are quality bench players, and maybe one future starter in our SF. You just can't win games that way against good teams. No matter the coaching and plans, if we don't have talent on the floor we aren't going to win.

We have one 1 starting PG (Really hope we are able to resign him)

3 backup Guards (pick 1 toss the rest, I vote for Bynum)

No starting SG's (Needs addressed in the off season)

No starting SF's (Needs addressed in the off season)

2 backup SF's (two good young backups that in a pinch can start, but an upgrade would be best)

1 starter PF (higher on Monroe then most, think he'll be solid for years to come, with more talent around him he'll be even better)

2 backup PF's (CV is ok for one more year... wave good bye to Max)

No starting Center (Drummond is ready, but has to prove it as a starter to get the nod from me though)

2 backup centers (Need a vet big man off the bench for insurance to go with the russian)

Of course I'm not a paid GM so what do I know :P
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. Calderon, Monroe, and Drummond are the only guys that would start on most other NBA teams.

Knight and Stuckey may have a chance depending on the team.

Maxiell and Singler would not start anywhere that I can think of, except maybe some bottom 5 team with an imbalanced roster.

I enjoyed watching Middleton's defensive enthusiasm last game. He definitely doesn't stick out on the court as being somebody that is lost or scared. He just sort of blends in and looks like a good enough athlete/ shooter to hang in there.

TRG looks like a stiff to me. He just has that old Nazr type rigormortis that keeps him from getting rebounds, loose balls, and put backs in traffic. His straight line speed is good and his hops are OK, but he just doesn't seem quick enough to be effective. I'm sure we'll see more of him and I really like being able to actually evaluate a guy in a game environment. However, from what I've seen so far, Maxiell plays bigger.
    roscoe36 likes this.