Away Indiana Pacers Monday, December 16, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

in the 4th Scola was Smith's man.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

So what happened? Did Smith get lazy or was there a pick or what?
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'll go with C. All of the above.

It's the same D he and Monroe have been playing at the end of games all year. That's how you earn trust and PT on this squad.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He will get tagged if the reviewers feel he is the most responsible player. It's only a bad system if you don't think that other people are capable of analyzing a basketball play.
    brofmfa and Walter like this.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You jest, but am I alone in wondering how a hobbled Bynum seems to easily get deep into the paint on a pick and roll and Jennings can't? I mean.....I don't think Bynum is any quicker than Jennings but for some reaso Jennings looks very ...... eh, running this play.
    For the last half of the 4th. But there was a good portion of the 4th where Moose and Harrelson where upfront. I watched the replay and simply watched Scola because I truly was wondering how he kept getting left WIDE OPEN! It was usually because guys were watching Paul George, they were so focused on keeping an eye on him so that they could help KCP that they just turned their back on Scola while he drifted out to his favorite spot on the court......their second big would then stand in between Scola and the different defender so that when Moose or Harrelson tried to recover they ran into a pick. It was pretty good coaching to take advantage of such bad defense.
    brofmfa likes this.
  6. Slippy

9:31 Monroe's man Mahinmi rolls to basket. Jorts steps to cover Mahimi in paint. Scola flashes to elbow. drains a jumper
    9:06 Pacer guard penetrates under basket. Scola runs to free throw line. Mahimi screens Jorts who turns to face the guard. pass to scola open at free throw line. Scola hits as Jorts recovers.
    8:37 Scola is Monroe's assignment. Scola cuts hard from elbow to top of key. Mahinmi sets screen Separation from Monroe is impressive and screen guarantees open shot. Scola misses from top of key

7:43 Scola is covered by smith. Smith floats under basket. Scola drains it at elbow
    7:02 looks like Smith playing zone while everyone else is going man. Scola at top of key. Smith under basket. Singler rotates. Scola misses thanks to Singlers superior defensive presence
    6:25 Pacer guard burns Jennings and Moose. Smith rotates. Pass to Scola for bunny.
    5:56 fast break Scola on wing. scores a jumper.
    5:15 Moose recovers on Scola really well. shot clock violation
  7. Slippy

some defensive lapses. but credit the Pacers and Scola for playing great. The guy knows when to flash, when to float and the team was setting off ball screens to get him open. Like Kgreg said, the team was focused on other guys and Scole made them pay.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Picking your poison happens on a huge percentage of defensive plays. Defenders will look silly sometimes when they make educated guesses. We have smart players who are big and athletic... but new to each other.
    Mossberg and linwood like this.
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I was shocked to see that Singler has the highest O-rating on the team (per basketball-reference.com).

Also, FWIW, Datome has some jaw-dropping splits on 82games.com. Actually, the splits on that site are weird; there's a -.07 correlation between net production and on court/off court net for the Pistons.
  10. Laimbrane

This is true... and if Indiana's route to victory goes through Scola nailing a bunch of 20-foot jumpers, that's a loss you're going to have to accept.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Two great games in a row where smith focused on the block on offense. Please let it be Mo directing and adapting.
    del likes this.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The fact that Lance Stephenson went home angry and upset last night was good enough for me. I don't normally hate on any players...other than Kobe, :puke: but him yelling at Dre on the courts and whooping it up after hit a three to bring them within 2, put him on my list.
  13. Laimbrane

The fact that this has happened has made me really happy. I've been pretty down on Cheeks, but the players do seem to be making adjustments and the team does seem to be improving.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's because Jennings doesn't know how to execute a pick&roll. Last night Smith set some extremely good picks for him and he just got lost in his own dribble and nothing happened. See it all the time.
    brofmfa likes this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Jennings has zero ability to go right, which limits him greatly on pick and rolls. So in that respect, us fans are not getting what we expected, a top notch pick and roll guy. (that was the conversation as the trade was made.)
  16. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

HUUUGE WIN!!

We have now beaten the Pacers and the Heat in their own house and really should have held off Portland at home. Some real bad games mixed in there this season, but it's games like this that show the promise. Sure the Heat were missing Wade and the Pacers, Granger, but we were also without Stuckey pretty much in both games (it still feels weird writing about him positively, but he deserves it this season).

This big win came on the back of Australia winning back the Ashes from England in the cricket after 3 successive defeats, so I'm riding a sports high at the moment!!
  17. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Singler is by our best perimeter defender, when it comes to closing out on shooters, by far. He's also our best team perimeter defender in that he'll even close out on OTHER guy's shooters. The kid just flies around the perimeter bothering shots, which is not to be despised. He's not our best on the ball defender, but he does force his man to either take a longer route to the basket, or drive into his help.

Our perimeter defense needs to be better. Jennings and Silva need to stop ball penetration. They give paths to the basket like they're tour guides. Stuckey needs to actually close out on a shooter, at least just once in his life. He could think of it like going to Burning Man. Josh Smith needs to close out better. BOTH Moose and Dre take far to long to recognize where the penetration is coming from. When they do see it, they either come too early, which gives up an easy pass, or they come too late, which does no good.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  18. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Bynum is looking to go hard. He'll either get the lob or attack the basket. He's not afraid of contact, and might even get and And-1.

Jennings is looking for either a wide open lane or space to pass or shoot. He's not looking to get deep into the paint. He can only finish with one hand, and he can't finish at all after contact.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Oi Oi Oi!
    Walter and del like this.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Pacer had fan had to be stewing in dewdue after that lost. It might be back on again.