Away Indiana Pacers Monday Dec 26 2011

Discussion in 'December 2011' started by roscoe36, Dec 18, 2011.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2011.
  1. Detroit

53.8%
  2. Indiana

46.2%
  1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Great perspective. One game, with the coach learning what his players bring to the table. Admittedly, he clearly didn't see them bringing a whole lot, but it's still very, very early.

There's no getting around it, this is going to be a rough season. Last night showcased the Pistons' biggest weakness, which is their lack of any down-low presence. This is going to be an issue for them all year long, but everyone also needs to consider that the Pacers have one of the best center-PF combos in the league in Hibbert and West, and Hansborough gave some indication last night that he's an almost perfect off-the-bench front court player. Indiana was a bad matchup. Does that excuse the Pistons' weaknesses? No, it doesn't. But as fans, it's no reason to go jumping off a cliff.

Sticking with the three positives...
    Jerebko was overmatched defensively but played well in spite of it. He's going to be a staple of this team for years to come, although ideally he's more of a stretch 3 or bench 4 than a starting 4.

Ben Wallace was back to his old self, grabbing 7 boards and blocking 3 shots in only 20 minutes.

Stuckey is not an emotional leader, but he did finish with 17 points and six assists, and did it without much help offensively from his wing players (Prince, Gordon, and Daye were a combined 7-27). He was the only player without a negative +/-. He's not all-world, but everyone really needs to get off his back because, regardless of his inconsistencies, he's still the best player on the Pistons' roster.

It's only one game. It's only one game. It's only one game.

And even if it wasn't, next year's draft class is going to be amazing. So it's really win-win.
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hey, we just had 3 FA signings, so I thought we'd come out blazing.

I'm actually expecting to come to the forum mostly for laughs this year. We have some real comedians here and the Pistons seem willing to give them fodder.
    S.J. likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

An NBA point guard, who isn't an emotional leader, who is unable to get his wing players going, and whose idea of "screw it, I'm gonna take over this game" amounts to 17 points, SUCKS and should not play that position.
    Nemo likes this.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

On the plus side, I cannot recall the last time a Piston PG scored three 3-pointers in a single game.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey did it twice in 2011 against Phi and Ind. He was 3-4 from behind the arc in both games. He did it once in 2010 and was 3-3. He did it 3 times in 2009 with 3-5 and 3-6 shooting and also had a game with 4 treys on 4-5 shooting. But, he didn't do it his rookie year and certainly not in his first game.

The last year we had Chauncey (when he was slowing down and unmotivated), he did it 26 times. 14 games with 3 makes, 10 games with 4 makes, and 2 games with 5 makes. He only had 7 games out of 79 without a make.

Rip certainly wasn't a point guard, but he did it multiple times throughout his career too and had a game with 6 makes last year.

I wonder how many players in NBA history hit 3 threes in their first game? That has to be a pretty select group.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

One thing us Piston fans (here) have a tendency to do is fall in love with our young players. We tend to think that we can groom them and build them into the type of players who can return us to legitimate competitors. Right now on this team we don't have 1 single player that fits that mold. Sometimes good young players are meant to bring you Deron Williams (see Derrick Favors) or Chris Paul (see Aminu and Gordon). I like JJ, I like Greg Monroe, but I'd package one of them in a heartbeat to acquire Deron Williams or Kevin Love. The players on this team just are not very good and the decent ones need a bonafied all-star to play with in order look decent and make this team competitive.

Seriously, these young'ns should be trade fodder.
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

as troubling as it is to have gordon handling the ball and recklessly turning it over, it's even more troubling if you focus on watching him play defense. if indiana had a wide-open 3, there was a good chance that it was because gordon left his man. one play the ball was passed to the top of the paint and he rotated there for no reason...the ball was then passed out to the guy who he was supposed to guard and he nailed a 3. he watches the ball instead of his man and smart players/teams will exploit this relentlessly.

he's better off the bench when these deficiencies can be hidden (or his scoring outweighs them)
  8. max

max All-Star

I think a lot of last night was miscues and mistakes, especially on the defensive end, for a team learning a new system. Lot of that will clear up in time.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If that's yin, Chris Paul is yang.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

On a positive note........I think JJ played well, based on highlights and commentary that I saw.

Those of you who are positive, also please include bright spots about the Piston's play.
    I'm not as good at the details of the game and need help.
    Those of you who feel the Piston's season will make for good jokes......I'll try to do my best.....
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...um,
    Only 3 Pacer big men had double doubles?
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why the hell did Joe D just sign this guy? Was he just trying to guarantee that Coach Frank would have enough bodies?
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

because Tay shaun is the glue that holds the ship steady and keeps an even keel. unfortunately he got some of that glue on his shoes and it appears to be stuck there with no hope for removal. if it is possible? I believe he is slower than the 40 yr old wallace.
    Nemo and basketbills like this.
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good description. One play near the end of the game really brought that home for me. Tayshaun gets a pass and breaks for the basket. In the old days he would have done one of those quick lefty slams...but instead he tries to lay it up and gets blocked. We should have sent him to the glue factory.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't show up in the box score. Our guards did get blocked 7 times though. Monroe got blocked once, and Maxiell once.

One other thing that I noticed is that every time we blocked Indiana, they got the loose ball, and scored on a 2nd or 3rd chance attempt. They were hungry for the ball
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was pretty horrifying watching this game - it did look like the Pistons were still in pre-season mode (or last-season mode).

When you look at teams like Sacramento where you can see a clear future and plan, young athletic players and a GM who went and signed some promising FA's (Thornton, Hickson, Hayes, Salmons), it definitely tests the patience-o-meter when you see Joe D do nothing but re-sign his own players.

I am gonna buy league pass this year, but I don't think I'll be watching as many Pistons games as I anticipated. Or maybe I will just need to sprinkle in a few more other teams games to give myself at least some entertainment. Watched the Kings beat the Lakers yesterday and I admit I was a little jealous.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tayshaun Prince is a glue guy, that's good when the other 4 players are all-stars, but when the other 4 players are who we have now? Do we really want somebody to hold something so terrible together?
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think it's just one game. We didn't really think we were going to be super good with this roster, a new coach, a shortened training camp and the trend of the last few seasons, did we?

We'll have some nights where we look like worldbeaters. We'll have some nights where we look like bums. The truth will be somewhere in-between.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree it's only one game, but I think the problems are real. Indiana has a great rebounding front court with Hibbert, West, and...ugh... Hansbrough, and when Foster is healthy, he always seems to grab about 20 rebounds against the Pistons. The tiny Pistons are going to be owned all season on the glass.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

... bum beaters?
    BallDon'tLie likes this.