1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Indiana Pacers - December 31

Discussion in 'December 2011' started by BillLaimbeer, Dec 31, 2011.

?

Who will win this game?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2012.
  1. Detroit Pistons

46.7%
  2. Indiana Pacers

53.3%
  1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I made the correct pick though, didn't I?

:baby:

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I only caught the end but we looked scared. when they press, you have to make them pay. We got too many people who are deferring to others. Sincewe are a young bottom feeding team, there's time to change that.

Frank is doing a lot of things right. While we have legs (and morale) we are contesting shots. We still need interior defenders and shot blockers.

3. Slippy

What is up with Daye? Dude gets 5 minutes but he's been the face of the pistons for either freep or detnews the past 3 games.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It looks like Warthog, Slippy, and Sgazmic followed your lead. It was 8-3 Pacers when the game finished. Now it is 8-7.

5. Slippy

I couldn't resist after that exchange with Mik. :yo: Although if it Darth were he he'd STILL pick Indiana :ner-ner:

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tay, Bengo, and STuckey played very solid games and when combine their efforts with 20&10 games from your PF AND center, you can kick some serious BUTT in the NBA. The problem, JJ and Monroe are not capable of giving you 20&10 every night. And please miss me with the Brandon Knight commentary, his floor game was worse than Stuckey's tonight, although Stuckey had a pretty good floor game tonight. I'd take Trey Burke (from UofM) over Brandon Knight RIGHT NOW! If this team plays hard, plays smart, moves without the ball and shares the ball, they can be decent.

Tonight's game was fun to watch, they really played the right way.

Oh 1 last note, Stuckey has never met a screen he won't lay down for - downright disgraceful at times.

7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I'm glad to finally see the first win of the season. Jonas and Monroe were huge this game, and Stuckey's shots were falling for the most part which meant his trademark drives to the basket were at least reasonably productive. Brandon had a so-so game, and his shots weren't falling. He needs to not take lessons from Stuckey on how to shoot jumpers. Big Ben was solid, and Max scratched one off his yearly quota of decent games. No CV and no Bynum, thank god.

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

According to NBA.com, we were +10 w/Jerebko on the floor and +7 w/Monroe on the floor. We won by 8, so I would say they had a lot to do with the W.

Strangely enough, Wilkins was the only Piston in the red with a -11. Ouch. Would've been nice to have Kyle Singler around to give a look at the backup SF spot.

9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I was about to post something akin to this. There were two big points where the Pistons ballooned their lead significantly, and they both happened with Jerebko and Monroe in the game.

Start of second quarter: Knight, Stuckey, Daye, Maxiell, Wallace, Detroit up by 3. Jerebko checks in for Maxiell at 9:56 with Detroit up by 6. Monroe enters for Wallace at 7:03 with Detroit up by 8 and they push it to 12 by 3:35.

With 7:42 left in the third quarter, Detroit had taken a full timeout, as their lead had been cut slightly to 8. Monroe and Jerebko were in the game. Detroit expands the lead to 13. Indiana calls a timeout, subs in Hansborough. Detroit extends to 18. Indiana calls another :20, and Wilkins and Maxiell check in for Prince and Jerebko. Quarter ends with Detroit up by 17. Jerebko in for Monroe to start the fourth. Monroe back in for Maxiell at 8:03, Detroit up by 16. Wilkins checks in for Jerebko at 7:46. With a lineup of Knight, Stuckey, Prince, Wilkins, and Monroe in the game, Indy cuts it back down to 8.

It was clear that Jerebko and Monroe played a significant role, and the team was worse off without one of them out there. Yes, Lee, I agree that Jerebko is not a prototypical power forward. But if last night is any indication, he works well with Monroe and when the guards are hitting, the team is actually capable of winning ballgames.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I say we will need CV's "O" for 5min. at a time going forward.
    I've been hearing about a lot of BtBtB's.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Nice job Bill on picking the Pistons. You are not wasting your talents as an educator.

The Pistons played with some pace last night, the opposite of what you had mentioned yesterday. The Pacers also cooperated by looking tres sluggish.

The Pistons were hitting shots last night. They hit a lot of long shots where they received a pass only when the passer couldn't dribble any more.

JJ may be rounding into form. I think a lot of us forgot he has not played a lot recently.

Monroe also looked tough around the hoop.

I do not like Gordon as a Piston, but I think Frank has done a good job of getting him consistent minutes.

Thank God Charlie Garbage DNP.

7 boards for Rod Stuckey who is now shooting 32% for the year!

12. max

max All-Star

thats funny.

The one game I missed. Heard a bit of it on the radio.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Every player pretty much performed as advertised in this game.

Good sign that Frank responded to the Pacers like this. Must have had a little to do with coaching (especially since we fixed the rebound deficit and the lack of D from the first go around... i.e. things that aren't based too much on luck).

JJ and Monroe both had solid double doubles. Stuck was pretty good. Was really enjoyable to see the team's A game.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's basically why we dominated. They neutralized Indiana's biggest advantage and tipped it in our favor.

Jerebko is coming off of a terrible injury and a long layoff. Hopefully his energy level, stamina, and aggressiveness will keep increasing over the next month or so. Monroe seems super laid back and unemotional in interviews, but his activity level on the court contradicts that. We need them both to play with passion this year.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

After many complaints about my stats, I see I made an error. Here is a partial correction.

In the first half of the game, the Pistons outscored Indiana by 8 points. Six points of that came with Jason Maxiell and Ben Wallace as our bigs, with neither of Monroe nor JJ in the game.

In the first half, with either JJ or Monroe or both in the game, we managed to just go up 2 points (one bucket).

In the 2nd half, due to Wilkens getting a long burn, and us going way down fast with him in there, I am not able to say much about comparing other players otherwise. Don't know why the heck Wilkens got those minutes as he has basically no talent - as far as I can see. Again, let me know if anyone else knows different from that.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Indy went small. Hansbrough at Center, with George and Granger at the Forward spots, Hill and Collison in the backcourt. Lil Frankie went small too with Wilkens at the SF (to guard George) and Tay at the PF (to guard Granger), JJ was on the bench with 5 fouls, Frankie brought JJ back in for Wilkens and Monroe for Maxiel to restore order.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

None of the above explains why Daye was not in there. Also, if the other team put in 5 point guards all under 6 feet, does that mean we would lose because we did not have enough short people to put in to counter it?

Nemo likes this.
  19. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Maybe it's because Daye is more of a liability then the others. Remember last year he started the 1st few games but was moved into a benchplayer because he made to many silly mistakes.

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This does, HE'S PLAYING LIKE CRAP and doesn't have the trust of his coach.